The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

THR wrote:Terry Gilliam back in saddle for 'Quixote'
Teams with producer Jeremy Thomas for long-developing pic

Terry Gilliam may no longer be tilting at windmills, having teamed with Oscar-winning British producer Jeremy Thomas to bring "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" to the big screen.

Gilliam has hooked up with Thomas to finally bring his long-blighted take on the tale of the Spanish knight. Screenwriter Tony Grisoni ("Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas") has worked with Gilliam to reimagine the legend, and the script revolves around a filmmaker who is charmed into Quixote's eternal quest for his ladylove, becoming an unwitting Sancho Panza.

The move uniting Gilliam with Thomas and his Recorded Picture Co. banner is the latest twist in a moviemaking saga almost as epic as Cervantes' 17th century classic on which it is based.

Nine years ago, the original shoot suffered a series of setbacks captured in the documentary "Lost in La Mancha," which went on to become a cult hit in its own right.

Thomas, in Cannes, described the project as "irresistible," while Grisoni added that there is no escaping some pacts. "Nearly 10 years on, I find myself lending a hand to get that crazed, giggling bedlamite back in the saddle. I'm talking about Don Quixote. In spite of God and the devil, he shall ride again," Grisoni said.

The RPC redeveloped movie is scheduled for a spring shoot. Gilliam's latest, "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus," unspools here Friday.

Re: The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

and again...
MoviesWithButter wrote:Terry Gilliam Wants to Try 'The Man Who Killed Don Quixote' Again

Terry Gilliam's disastrous attempt to film The Man Who Killed Don Quixote was famously documented by Keith Fulton and Louis Pepe in 2002's Lost in La Mancha, but he's not letting that experience discourage him.

"I'm going to try to do Don Quixote again," Gilliam told Comingsoon. "I think this is the seventh time. Lucky seven, maybe. We'll see if it happens. This is kind of my default position, going back to that. I actually just want to make it and get rid of it. Get it out of my life."

It's good that he remains upbeat as what bedeviled him the last time will unlikely happen again.

For those who haven't seen Lost in La Mancha, his previous attempt to shoot the film back in 2000 was such as epic disaster that what could go wrong did.

Fighter jets were constantly buzzing above, and a flash flood damaged equipments and changed the landscape. To add injury to insult, Jean Rochefort, the actor who played Don Quixote, had to pull out after injuring himself.

As long as Gilliam can convince A-listers to star in the movie, funds won't be a problem. Let's see if his luck has changed for the better.

DH wrote:Gilliam's Amazon Deal Includes "Don Quixote"

Terry Gilliam has confirmed that his long-gestating dream project, "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote," is a part of his not long ago announced deal with Amazon Studios who will distribute in the United States. Filming aims to begin early next year

Jack O'Connell and John Hurt are currently slated for the lead roles in which O'Connell plays a jaundiced freelance commercials director who heads to Spain for a shoot where he encounters a mysterious gypsy (Hurt). Of the deal with Amazon, Gilliam says:

"I'm intrigued by their way of doing it. They go into the cinemas first and then a month or two afterwards they go into streaming. And I think that's good because you get a chance to see it on the big screen, and yet I know that more people have seen my films on DVD than they have in the cinemas and that's the reality of life now.

Amazon and the like are interesting because they are all still in their formative stages. They're not a bureaucracy that has been around for years like the studio system, and so they're full of people that are open to new and fresh ideas. So it's a good time to be working with people like that."

Gilliam also confirmed that some old projects he's had floating in development may come to fruition with this new deal, albeit in different formats such as event series television with one of them potentially being the "Defective Detective" project he wrote years ago with Richard LaGravenese:

"A couple of old scripts that have been wallowing within the studio system; we've got them out, so we're going to stretch them out. So what was going to become a two and a half hour movie will now become a six-eight part TV series."
ho-lee shee-it.

this time delayed for an awful reason:
DH wrote:Giliam's "Don Quixote" Delayed Again

Terry Giliam's dream project "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" can't catch a break. Fifteen years ago Gilliam had begun to film the project before it fell apart due to a variety of reasons which were chronicled in the documentary "Lost In La Mancha".

In subsequent years came reports of attempts to remount it which never seemed to really go anywhere. This past Summer things seemed to pick up steam with word that Amazon Studios had come onboard the film and that both Jack O'Connell and John Hurt were set to star.

Now The Times reports that the project has been dealt another blow due and production has reportedly been delayed for a terrible reason - 75 year-old Hurt was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer over the summer.

While the prognosis for Hurt is said to be good, the film's insurers reportedly want to wait to see how things go before signing off on 'Quixote'.

Hurt was asked about this development to which he responded: "Terry seems very optimistic that we will start filming soon. Optimism is a good thing."

TheStudioExec wrote:TERRY GILLIAM ACCIDENTALLY DELETES THE MAN WHO KILLED DON QUIXOTE

Terry Gilliam today admitted that he had accidentally deleted his new film The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.

Terry Gilliam took 17 years to complete his new film The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. Having only yesterday announced to excited fans that he had finished the film, he returned to Facebook today with a heartbreaking message, entitled ‘I should have made a backup copy’:

So I had the film wrapped, everything shot, and as with all movies these days it was all digital. I had it on a portable hard drive but when I unplugged it from the computer I forgot to click on that ‘safely remove hardware thing’ and apparently it formatted the whole disc. Erasing the movie. I know what you’re thinking. Why didn’t you make a backup? and I can only say, I don’t know. But don’t worry fans, I’ll be making it again next year and every year for the rest of my life.

The film had gone through a number of versions with different casts, including a version with Robert Duvall and Ewan MacGregor and one with Jean Rochefort and Johnny Depp. The most recent iteration starred Jonathan Pryce and Adam Driver.

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote will begin filming again in 2018.
pretty funny.

indiewire wrote:‘The Man Who Killed Don Quixote’: Terry Gilliam Loses Court Battle, No Longer Owns Rights to Long-Delayed Film

The making of this film has been nothing if not quixotic.

After a decades-long production process that saw several failed iterations and even a documentary about its making, Terry Gilliam’s “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote” appeared to have a happy ending when it finally premiered at Cannes last month. Mixed reviews followed, and now Gilliam has lost a protracted court battle over the rights to his long-delayed passion project: The Paris Court of Appeal has ruled in favor of former producer Paulo Branco, who sued Gilliam over rights to the project.

The filmmaker has also been ordered to pay Branco’s Alfama Films €10,000 ($11,600) in fees. He previously won a case that allowed him to screen “Don Quixote” at Cannes, though the victory was short-lived. ”The ruling means that the rights to the film belong to Alfama. Any exploitation of the film up until now has been completely illegal and without the authorisation of Alfama,” Branco told Screen Daily.

“We will be seeking damages with interest from all the people involved in this illegal production and above all, all those who were complicit in its illegal exploitation. We’re holding everyone responsible.”

By “everyone,” he means not only Gilliam but also “the film’s producers, Kinology, all the others who supported the film, including those who distributed the film in France and the Cannes Film Festival, everyone.”

“The film belongs in its entirety to Alfama,” Branco added. “The film was made illegally. It’s the first time, I’ve ever seen so many people embark on a mission to produce and exploit a film, without holding the rights. It’s a unique case.”
jesus.