Re: Terminator 5

darkness wrote:That's Japan. :) Who knows what they think over there? China is also responsible for Fast and Furious 7's huge international box office which made more money there than Age of Ultron, so the robot theory is out the window.
have you seen a vin diesel movie? let's not assume too much.

first trailer for terminator 6: dark fate, which ignores everything after t2:
[youtube][/youtube]

i'm actually kind of interested in this. was on the fence until the plane scene.

This whole "keep this kid/other person alive" thing got stale and boring with T3 onwards. They tried something new with Salvation and that sucked. They lost their minds completely with Genisys and that SUCKED. So why keep doing the same thing over and over? I'd wanna see a hard reboot at this point.

yeah i've had enough of the entire connor family idea. and these effects look pretty bad. which is why i'm assuming they must be pretty confident in the writing. but i'll still go see a massive plane wreck on the big screen.

Cinema Blend wrote:
Terminator: Dark Fate Is Rated R And Continues John Connor's Story, James Cameron Confirms

Wait.. there’s another Terminator movie? The franchise really does take the famous “I’ll be back” line seriously, doesn’t it! After over 15 years of missteps from the movie series, Tim Miller’s Terminator: Dark Fate is going back to what made it great. Check out what James Cameron recently said about the project:

"I think the best way to think about Terminator: Dark Fate is to think about it as a direct sequel to Terminator 2, the third film in a series, if you will. We'll be continuing with Sarah's story, John's story, and the T-800 returns -- a different T-800 with a very different role to play than what we've seen before."

So if you haven’t already wiped Rise of the Machines, Salvation and Genisys from your memory, the upcoming action flick will do it for you as it will ignore them all. The film also marks the first time James Cameron will return to the franchise as a writer and producer. He also brought Linda Hamilton’s iconic Sarah Connor back to the story, though it did take some convincing.

In his interview with Flicks and the City, he said he wrote a long email expressing to Linda Hamilton how much fans love her and want to see her return to the role. He also was interested in the idea of bringing a strong woman to the big screen who is over 60 in a world where young empowering heroes such as Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman have gained traction.

Dark Fate will also bring back Arnold Schwarzenegger as T-800 but, as Cameron teases, he will have a completely different role in this film then he has before.

Another interesting tidbit is that the movie will also address John Connor’s future. John was not shown in the first trailer, and so far there has not been an actor announced to play Sarah’s son in Dark Fate. He'd presumably be in his 40s by now ... if he's still alive. Rumors, via Bloody Disgusting, suggest we may be getting a flashback to a T2-era John Connor, using a young actor as a CGI stand-in. It doesn't look like T2 actor Edward Furlong will be returning, in any case.

James Cameron continued by explaining how Dark Fate will feel more related to the series' first two entries:

"I think, tonally, what makes this a direct sequel to T1 and T2 is as much about the tone as it is about the narrative: It’s R rated, it’s grim, it’s gritty, it’s fast, it’s intense, it’s very linear. The whole story takes place in 36 hours. It’s not this kind of grandiose, complex story. It’s just very focused on the characters, it’s very now, it’s very present and it’s just a fast white-knuckle ride."

Yes!! What made the first two Terminator movies great were how intense they were as Sarah Connor had to escape and fight against the lethal Terminators trying to kill her and then her son. In Dark Fate, MacKenzie Davis’ Grace and Sarah Conner will be protecting Natalia Reyes’ Dani from being hunted down by Gabriel Luna’s new Terminator.

James Cameron went more in-depth about the movie’s story with these words:

"The principle of our movie is that there's an inevitable conflict between humans and the intelligent machines that they make. And all [Sarah Connor has] done is kick the can down the road from her future back in the '80s to our future now in 2019. Judgment Day is right around the corner, yet again. It's an inevitability. So she's kicked the can, she's going to have to try to kick it again and again. The war never ends. So Sarah has become a Terminator hunter. She’s not waiting to be hunted by a Terminator, she hunts them. She’s figured out a way to be there when they pop through time and she just blows their shit away."

A trailer was recently released for the film and showed MacKenzie Davis’ character Grace may be a machine who is so vastly intelligent that she could be deemed human. Sarah Connor will be teaming up with her to fight the war, but her existence could certainly become a conflict in the film.

It will be especially exciting to witness Sarah Connor’s return, now as an even more badass “Terminator hunter." James Cameron said the writers have mapped out a three-story arc that will be set in motion with this film, so if it does well, we could be in for a new trilogy. Terminator: Dark Fate hits theaters on November 1.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Grumpy old man here, but I'd rather Cameron simply put out nice Blu-rays of Strange Days, The Abyss, and True Lies (OK, really just Strange Days) instead of farting around on new Terminator trilogies and four Avatar sequels.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

^ This. I have no desire for any more Avatars, I didn't even like the first one and the 3d gimmick has long worn out its welcome. And Terminator ended quite well with T2. From the description in this article it just sounds like more of the same we've already had over and over again.

O-dot wrote:Grumpy old man here, but I'd rather Cameron simply put out nice Blu-rays of Strange Days, The Abyss, and True Lies (OK, really just Strange Days) instead of farting around on new Terminator trilogies and four Avatar sequels.
whoa whoa whoa, hang on there chief - true lies is fucking fantastic.

finally watched dark fate. I'll copy my half-star letterboxd review:
"One of the absolute worst pieces of shit I've ever seen. Linda Hamilton serves no purpose in this, looks like shit, and can't act her way out of a paper bag. If you insist on trying to watch this, turn it off immediately after the first chase sequence and pretend the rest of the movie meets that potential. That way, you will have missed the ridiculously forced, contrived, and ham-fisted attempt at a storyline that follows. Fuck whomever is ultimately responsible for this especially egregious entry in the franchise. Way to go out on the bottom."

never did see the khalesi one since i heard it was bad. i heard this wasn't great but holy shit was it fucking terrible. so there's really only two good movies in the entire franchise? and arnold chose to do this instead of king conan?

TC wrote:and arnold chose to do this instead of king conan?
From my understanding the King Conan thing has little to do with Arnold and everything to do with the rights holder being fairly incompetent and not being able to secure deals.
This Terminator is sitting on the hard drive but I haven't been daring enough to sit down an watch it yet. Your review doesn't exactly inspire me to want to more.

darkness wrote:Your review doesn't exactly inspire me to want to more.
Delete it. It's awful.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:Delete it. It's awful.
How you can get both Hamilton and Schwarzenegger back for the first time since T2, with Cameron has a producer, and still manage to fuck this up is beyond me. I guess everyone just wanted the paycheck but didn't give a fuck otherwise.

the writing. there could have been something there, like i said, but what they did with the cast and budget should be a crime. it's beyond lazy, it's fucking actively awful. like they tried hard to make it as terrible as they could. and yes, linda absolutely looks and acts like the just wants the paycheck. probably more like "needs". i haven't seen her in much, but after the first two terminators, i thought she was a decent actress. then in Chuck the cracks started to show. she was wooden, but chuck was so tongue-in-cheek and her character was so over the top that it was hard to tell if it was on purpose. but this? holy shit man. tommy wiseau is a better actor. i hated her even being in it, as she serves no purpose beyond "hey, remember her?" and so the tsm-101
can apologize for killing john
. the entire storyline has nothing to do with her. it's seriously the dumbest fucking "story", likely because arnold and linda are in it. granted, if they weren't in it, it would just be a remake of the first film, but at least then it could be "meh" on its own. because they're in it, everything is so shoe-horned, ham-fisted, and fucking terrible that it becomes less than the sum of its parts.

You guys weren't wrong in how awful this is. Even the dialog is cringworthy in a lot of places. Even worse they start with film with scenes from Terminator 2. Never show a better movie in the middle of your awful one, it just makes the contrast even easier to see.