Re: True Detective

I'm not a huge fan of Colin's but from the footage it looks like Vaughn lost some weight and is taking the proceedings seriously--he's actually a pretty magnetic performer when he isn't just being a smartass in a mediocre comedy, so I like what I see there.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Re: Season 2 Opener: Scenes with Colin were quite good, he continues to be one of the best actors out there, but otherwise this was remarkably boring and the multi-narrative approach unwelcome. They redeemed themselves slightly bringing all the characters together at the end (hopefully the narratives will now be merged for the rest of the season), but this should've happened 20 minutes into the show. Better direction may have improved things, they made a big mistake getting rid of Fukanaga regardless of the purported scheduling overruns.

Sunday nights continue to be ruled by Halt & Catch Fire.

Yeah, everybody loves Halt and Catch Fire. I liked it, it was kind of a perverse Avengers, get a few of our 'hero' origin stories, which of course are all sad and fucked up, then bring the team together.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Sure looked that way, I'll be rewatching tonight but a couple of point blank shotgun blasts, you don't usually come back from that--that said, I feel like we've seen footage of him running around in the previews for the season that we haven't yet seen in the show. Bullet proof vest? That said, I'm enjoying the other performances too, Vaughn's desperation is already driving him to interesting places, and Kitsch is doing justice to dumb and damaged. McAdams...we'll see, she seems to be a knee jerk response to criticism over S1's lack of strong female presence, which I thought was kind of idiotic in the first place.

Considering how close the shot was, I don't see how someone comes back from that, vest or not (they're not a magic shield). Maybe the other footage was a ruse so no one would see this coming. I certainly didn't. I'm liking this this season better than the last so far. It's good to see Vaughn playing straight again. McAdams seems to serve no purpose so far but if Colin really is gone maybe she'll be stepping up to take the lead. That would be fetch!
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Liked this week's episode better. Might be that we got more of Colin, and on top form, might be the orgy (an orgy always helps), or might be that the story is finally finding purchase - or perhaps all of these things combined.

It's been a very solid, entertaining season as far as I'm concerned. Lives up to the title, which only promises bleak pulpy thrills. Colin was indeed en fuego this week.

finally marathoned through this over the last week, culminating with the finale sunday. sorry haters, i really like this season. started (veeeerrrrrry) slow, especially not knowing what to expect after last season, but picked up quickly. cast and acting across the board were fantastic. vaughn deserves supporting hardware. was telling my wife that i think i like this season better than S1, frankly. i liked the promise of S1, but to "hint at" (read: hammer us over the head with) the occult/supernatural only to never follow down that dark rabbit hole was a cop out (see what i did there?). even though woody & matt were inherently flawed, yes, they were still clearly the "good guys" fighting the big bad "evil" that was happening (and it was, regardless of lack of supernatural). this season, there is no clear "good" or "evil", everyone is fucked. i wish a couple of the characters' stories didn't end the way they did, but i can't argue that's likely what would have happened and probably what they deserved. the epilogue was fantastic. love it.

I agree with most of that and was really into this season right up until the last episode. It kind of felt like they didn't really know how to end things and were just like,
fuck it, I guess we'll just shoot everyone and call it a day.
It seemed like there really wasn't much story resolution.

I loved it, and the character deaths that happened seemed very appropriate to their character arcs to me. Once again, it seems the broader conspiracy/bad guys aren't caught, but I also think that's a running theme in the show, you're never gonna get all the guys at the top. I have newfound respect for klimov man-crush Colin Farrell, and Vaughn was the best thing about the show. Even Kitsch was pretty good.

I felt like once they crashed the party, stole the documents, grabbed the girl and killed a guard, it was all going to go downhill fast. And Vaughn's teetering empire was due to topple in any number of directions at any time. Worked for me.

TC wrote:and let's not discount my buddy ricky springfield!
Took me a couple episodes to figure out who that was, but damn, bizarrely perfect casting.

Looks like this show is dead now if the Hollywood Reporter is to be believed. They say a new show from Nic Pizzolatto is more likely. Wasn't every season kind of a new show to start with anyway? Maybe they think the name is tarnished now after ratings weren't that huge.