Re: Marvel/Netflix series

So, just watched the first two hours (both written by Goddard). For a DD fan like I was growing up, this seems like the universe is apologizing to me personally for the Affleck abortion. "Here's a group of t.v. writers whose shit you've really liked, we're going to give them 13 hours and a decent budget to tell the story at a comfortable, entertaining pace." I say this as a compliment: It very much feels like a television show, not a feature film. And it feels like the right way to do what they're doing with the character and story. Shocker of shockers, Marvel does it again.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I'm up to episode eight of this thing. Surely I can't be the only one who's rooting for the Kingpin on this. Daredevil is kind of an asshole know it all who seems to cause more harm than good. I hope he gets some Vincent D'Onofrio sized hurt put on him soon.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

_Marcus_ wrote:Just saw the first episode last night, and obviously you can't judge the whole series from one episode. But man, some really shaky acting/writing in that first hour. It gets better, I assume?
It finally turned around for me by around episode four when the Kingpin showed up. But it's certainly not Marvel's finest work. Though I have to confess I've never really cared for Daredevil even in the comics so I wasn't jumping for joy over this one. I'd rather we had an Elektra series (who I'm sure we'll see in season two or three).

Have only seen half of the pilot but, my, does this seem like a big steaming pile. AoS and AC work primarily because there isn't a vigilante superhero in sight (unless the team are taking them down). Sadly, this one indulges in "kicking badguy ass" cliches from the get go. Worse, it's chronically offensive - presenting his disability as a gift rather than an impediment. Of course, they haven't cast a genuinely blind actor in the role, because a genuinely blind actor wouldn't be able to kick ass like that. Yes, a big steaming pile of the smelliest primate dung.

klimov wrote:Of course, they haven't cast a genuinely blind actor in the role, because a genuinely blind actor wouldn't be able to kick ass like that.
Didn't you just answer your own criticism right there?

Pretty sure DD remains one of the few if not the only superhero with a handicap, he's been lauded for that for decades. Anyway, haters be damned, I'm loving it. And I think as they roll his backstory out over the first five episodes or so you are given a very nice motivational set for why he likes to beat bad guys to a pulp.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

TC wrote:season 2 already?
Not out, but announced.
Marvel wrote:Marvel and Netflix are proud to announce that "Marvel's Daredevil" will receive a second season, available only on the streaming service in 2016!

With the first season of "Marvel's Daredevil" proving a smash success with both audiences and critics, Netflix and Marvel will continue to create further adventures of the Man Without Fear! Doug Petrie ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "American Horror Story") and Marco Ramirez ("Sons of Anarchy"), who worked closely with Executive Producers Steven S. DeKnight and Drew Goddard during the first season, will serve as showrunners for Season 2. Petrie, Ramirez, Goddard ("Cabin in the Woods"), and Jeph Loeb ("Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.") will serve as Executive Producers of Season 2.

“While previous commitments unfortunately prevent me from continuing on with Daredevil into its second season," DeKnight explains, "I could not be happier that Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez are carrying the torch. They were invaluable collaborators during our first season, and I for one can't wait to see what they do with the show moving forward."

"Marvel's Daredevil" is produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Studios for Netflix.

"Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones" comes only to Netflix later this year and "Marvel's Luke Cage" premieres on the streaming service in 2016. Future series exclusively debuting on Netflix include “Marvel’s Iron Fist” and “Marvel’s Defenders,” a mini-series event that reimagines a team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.

Blinded as a young boy but imbued with extraordinary senses, Matt Murdock (Charlie Cox) fights against injustice by day as a lawyer, and by night as the Super Hero “Daredevil” in modern day Hell's Kitchen, New York City. "Marvel's Daredevil" stars Charlie Cox, Rosario Dawson, Vincent D’Onofrio, Deborah Ann Woll, Elden Henson, Scott Glenn, Bob Gunton, Toby Leonard Moore, Vondie Curtis Hall, Ayelet Zurer.

For more information on "Marvel's Daredevil," and the other exciting new Marvel Television series coming to Netflix, stay tuned to Marvel.com or visit Netflix.com/daredevil

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/tv/24478/netflix ... z3Y2Oqo1xf

Yes, I'm about 3 episodes in. Very smart show, it's going into sexual places that no Marvel property has come close to, and the overall metaphor of rape/sexual assault is in and of itself pretty stunning and smartly handled. Another winner from Marvel.