Re: new Trek film - meet your new Kirk & Bones

TC wrote:i tried to see the hidden twice in the theater, fell asleep both times.

big d - reserved seating???
Wait, did you say you fell asleep during Kyle MacLachlan's The Hidden? Twice?? That movie's a goddamn classic.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

You should really check it out. It's a great B movie. And the first guy to go nuts is Hank from TP (don't remember his name and don't feel like googling), so it's got that going for it too. You at least got to the part where the alien takes over the stripper? You couldn't have, you wouldn't have slept in that case.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Abrams wrote:I know I get a lot of grief for that. But I'll tell you, there are times when I'm working on a shot, I think, 'Oh this would be really cool… with a lens flare.' But I know it's too much, and I apologize. I'm so aware of it now. I was showing my wife an early cut of Star Trek Into Darkness and there was this one scene where she was literally like, "I just can't see what's going on. I don't understand what that is." I was like, "Yeah, I went too nuts on this."

This is how stupid it was — I actually had to use ILM [Industrial Light & Magic] to remove lens flare in a couple of shots, which is, I know, moronic. But I think admitting you're an addict is the first step towards recovery.
heh.

Star Trek wrote:It's official: Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions have recruited J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay to join Roberto Orci (Star Trek 2009 and Star Trek Into Darkness) in writing the next big-screen Star Trek adventure. The new Trek film will be the first produced project for Payne and McKay, who earned the embrace of J.J. Abrams and Bad Robot with their adaptation of the graphic novel Boilerplate, which is in development at Bad Robot. Alex Kurtzman, Orci's longtime writing partner, will not be involved, concentrating instead on the tandem's other in-the-works films and shows.

The third Star Trek film does not yet have a title, a release date or a director, as Abrams will be busy with Star Wars. However, the film is expected to be ready in time for Star Trek's 50th anniversary in 2016.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

So to catch this thread up, Roberto Orci, who was named as director of Trek reboot 3, is out. Justin Lin is in. I can only assume this means the starships will race each other around a lot with cgi close-ups of the warp engines firing up. Don't get me wrong, the Fast and Furious films are a guilt pleasure for me. But I expect something more from a Trek film. I hope this doesn't mean it will be light on story and a big action fest. Rumor is Orci left because Paramount wants it to be more like Guardians of the Galaxy and a big film that will make a lot of overseas box office money. Not sure what the hell that even means, but I wouldn't be surprised if Scotty has a new cute talking squirrel sidekick replacing Keenser in the next film.

O-dot wrote:Saw it with some coworkers ... Fell asleep for about half an hour midway through. That may have more to do with being the parent of a very active one year old.
Well, here we are, almost two years later, and I fired up Into Darkness on Netflix and attempted to sit through it. (While also consuming a milkshake and compiling ultimate Aerosmith and Iron Maiden playlists.) It doesn't feel like a finished movie, more a string of frenetic action scenes that I had less and less use for as this thing dragged on. Bad acting from just about everyone. I dunno. My expectations weren't all that sky-high for Episode VII anyway, but I'd say Abrams has his work cut out for him one-upping Into Darkness. He really didn't put any heart into it.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Yeah, I have higher hopes for Star Wars than I did for the second Trek. The first Trek is actually pretty good and plays like it was made by people who cared about the franchise somewhat. They honored the original while making the necessary concession to modern audiences for action. Darkness on the other hand, seems like someone who read an internet summary of Wrath of Kahn and said, yeah, let's just build a lot of action pieces around some of that. A large part of the problem is that Wrath of Kahn came after the characters had spent years together, so the whole thing worked as the characters dealt with getting older and their past actions coming back to haunt them. But in Darkness the crew barely has spent any time together and Kahn just becomes another evil villain out for power. And they had Peter Weller essentially play the exact same character he played in Enterprise, with a dash of the plot from Star Trek 6 thrown in.