Re: Listening to lately

The Haunted - Exit Wounds. have to say i'm pleasantly surprised with this. a return to the much more aggressive, angry Haunted. only one or two throw-away songs versus the previous several complete throw-away albums. nothing ground breaking or innovative, but fun. a good listen.

TC wrote:The Haunted - Exit Wounds. have to say i'm pleasantly surprised with this. a return to the much more aggressive, angry Haunted. only one or two throw-away songs versus the previous several complete throw-away albums. nothing ground breaking or innovative, but fun. a good listen.
Trend Killer is the best song they've written since One Kill Wonder.

yeah, PZ said it sounded like lamb of god. i think that's a little exaggerated but there is truth in it. way over-compressed. i sure hope this isn't the best song on the album or mine will quickly become a frisbee.

TC wrote:yeah, PZ said it sounded like lamb of god. i think that's a little exaggerated but there is truth in it. way over-compressed. i sure hope this isn't the best song on the album or mine will quickly become a frisbee.
What's Lamb of God about it?

_Marcus_ wrote:What's Lamb of God about it?
I heard no Lamb of God in that song.

On another note, it's too bad we had to wait more than a decade for a decent new record from The Haunted, but what the heck, I'll take it.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:
_Marcus_ wrote:What's Lamb of God about it?
I heard no Lamb of God in that song.

On another note, it's too bad we had to wait more than a decade for a decent new record from The Haunted, but what the heck, I'll take it.
Yeah, me neither. And yes, the new Haunted album is great!

the more i listen to that ATG track, the more it sounds to me like a less threatening TSD. if their writing on the rest of it harkens back to TSD and if this is the most "accessible" song, it could be a damn good album. here's to hoping they return to odd time signatures and interesting changes somewhere on this album.

It would be strange to see them go after exactly the same kind of material they had on SotS. That would be At the Gates doing At the Gates in some weird way. Even though SotS for me is a seminal record, probabaly in my top three of all time, I'd like to hear them go a bit more... progressive, I guess, on this one.

And I love that track btw. It grows with every listen.

The Nothing--Guilty of Everything. Shoegazey, maybe comparable to Jesu? They are on a metal label of some repute but it's not a metal album, fairly sunny melodies under the washes of guitar.

Ty Segall--Manipulator. Good example of what he does (and doesn't) do well. Highly prolific nuggets/psychadelic era guitar rocker. I like some of his stuff OK but he's not quite the indie guitar hero some make him out to be.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

At the Gates - I like it. It's not knocking my socks off as much as other releases this year, but it's a good, solid, rocking record. :dunno:
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Um... yeah. :drunk: :thrash: :thrash: :thrash: :rofl:

Back to the subject of music, the new Complete Basement Tapes release has had lots of hype and is indeed pretty good... But IMHO it's not a patch on Dylan's previous 'bootleg' volume, Another Self Portrait, which is just amazing and rarely leaves the deck of our Volvo. Wigwam (acoustic or the original, she isn't fussy) is littlest one's favourite song :-)