Re: Fargo [TV]

I will add that I am sick to death of the serial killer as rock star genre that Silence of the Lambs more or less kicked off, but the show is done with such unique artistry and cunning that even if you don't "like horror," it's worth a look. The level of idiosyncratic style put into the production is really unlike anything else on tv right now.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I think the apocalyptic / survival genre is something unto itself. Obviously in The Walking Dead the zombies are a horror element of sorts, but it doesn't celebrate human misery in the manner required by a typical horror film/show.

Well I have to say I continue to enjoy Fargo. It's a love letter to the Coens, who at this late stage of their career have certainly earned one, with lots of winks to and elements from their prior films wrapped into the fabric. Story is taking some interesting turns, performances are solid across the board, nicely shot and paced, funny. The showrunners seem to be doing their heroes proud. And this week's episode did a really nice job of bringing Hanks' downtrodden cop into the fold with the intrepid heroine, just when she should have dogpiled on his screw up she realized they had a lot in common and he was in fact an ally.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Yeah, it's not much more than that but it does what it sets out to do without embarrassing itself.

I seem to be a lone soul in thinking this was fucking great beginning to end. Got little hype and no one seemed to be into it, if they bothered checking it out at all. I plan on a reviewing soon.
There are no stupid questions. Just stupid people.

madbutcher wrote:I seem to be a lone soul in thinking this was fucking great beginning to end. Got little hype and no one seemed to be into it, if they bothered checking it out at all. I plan on a reviewing soon.
No, I'm with you--came to be quite fond of the show by the end. And I know a variety of folks who liked it, I think it did pretty well ratings-wise. It certainly got good reviews, curious to see if they'll do another. Aces!

Renewed for Season 2 today. Earliest we'd see it would be next fall, apparently.

It's an anthology series, like American Horror Story. Different characters and story each season.

Or...they're exploring some of the same characters back in 1979.
Yesterday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour, Fargo showrunner Noah Hawley revealed that the show’s second season—which had just been publicly greenlit by FX CEO John Landegraf that morning—will be set in 1979, and take place in Laverne, Minnesota and Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Somewhat contradicting earlier reports, the second season will focus on one returning character: Lou Solverson, played by Keith Carradine in the first season, who was protagonist Molly Solverson’s father. And Molly will also be in the second season, but as a 4-year-old girl; Hawley cracked that even an actress as capable as Allison Tolman wouldn’t be able to pull that off. The second season starts production in January 2015, with a premiere slated for the following fall.

Continuing with the idea that Fargo is an anthology of true-crime stories all set within the same universe, the second season goes back to 1979 to explore Lou’s youth and marriage to Molly’s mother, Betsy. Lou will be 33 years old and recently returned home from combat in Vietnam. “That time period was really interesting in American history,” Hawley said. “Post-Vietnam, post-Watergate, just before Ronald Reagan became President. It was… the best of America versus the worst of America—the sort of violence and brutality of it. Perhaps Lou Solverson went to Vietnam and he fought and he came home and he thought that he had left the war behind. But now he’s come back, and here it is. It’s domestic now.”

Hawley was surprisingly forthcoming in the panel, which was held with Fargo executive producer Warren Littlefield. Many showrunners are cagey with details on their upcoming seasons, but Hawley seemed eager to share. He also suggested the second season might explain what happened to Betsy that left Lou a widower, and added that Lou’s father-in-law is also an important character. Meanwhile, another character from Fargo’s first season will factor in: Ben Schmidt (who was played by Peter Breitmayer), who eventually becomes Gus Grimly’s commanding officer.

Coen brothers’ fans will be interested to know that Hawley said he drew from No Country For Old Men and A Serious Man, in addition to Fargo, as inspiration for the first season. For this second season, he said, he’s also looking to Miller’s Crossing and The Man Who Wasn’t There. “So let the Internet speculation begin,” he joked.
http://www.avclub.com/article/fargos-se ... :1:Default

three episodes into this now, holy crap is it awesome. loving it. pretty hilarious at times, greatly disturbing at times, i'm laughing my ass off and peeking through fingers each episode. also, glad to hear lombardo's drums start showing up in episode 2.

TC wrote: lombardo's drums start showing up in episode 2.
They do?
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:
TC wrote: lombardo's drums start showing up in episode 2.
They do?
google says i'm wrong, but those drums sound a lot like his work on californication:

shrug. good either way.

finished this a couple days ago (i know, way behind). holy shit how awesome is this show? pretty amazing, considering i thought it was a dumb idea and unnecessary to begin with. the cast makes it. much like my feelings on Hannibal.

!? wrote:Fargo Season Two News: Ronald Reagan Cast

For the second season of “Fargo”, the mini-series will be set in 1979 and one of the characters will be pre-presidency Ronald Reagan. Entertainment Weekly reported that FX CEO John Langraf confirmed Reagan as part of this season’s storyline. Langraf said, “It covers something that was referenced in the first installment by Lou Solverson, Molly Solverson’s [Allison Tolman] father.” He added, “It’s set in the late ’70s against the backdrop of Ronald Reagan’s first campaign for President of the United States. Reagan is a character in it.” The 1980 campaign was Reagan’s third try at the White House.

The show also won’t just be using news footage to bring Reagan into the plot. Langraf said, “Reagan will be interacting with our characters”. They also haven’t cast the part of the future President yet either.

The FX chief said he also expects a funnier season 2 from “Fargo”. “It’s a big sprawling, in some ways, more comedic [season], though at times, a very serious show.”

“Fargo” Season 2 features Patrick Wilson as a younger Lou Solverson who is back from Vietnam and starts looking into a local gang and a mob syndicate. Season 2 also stars Ted Danson, Nick Offerman, Jean Smart, Jeffrey Donovan, Angus Sampson, Kieran Culkin, Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons.

Production begins this week on the second season of “Fargo” and it will premiere this Fall on FX.
haha, lol what??