True Detective

For those of you with HBO...watch this. Now. I am thoroughly confused as to when and how Matthew McConaughey became one of America's finest actors, but dude is mesmerizing in this. Harrelson is good too (originally they were slotted to play each others' parts, funny enough). The crime is more than a little reminiscent of what we got in S1 of Hannibal, but the slight redundancy there isn't a distraction. Looks to be a really good show based on the pilot.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Re: True Detective

Alexhead wrote:I am thoroughly confused as to when and how Matthew McConaughey became one of America's finest actors, but dude is mesmerizing in this.
He's been on a hell of a run starting with The Lincoln Lawyer and continuing with Killer Joe, Magic Mike and Mud.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

I didn't see MM or LL, but Mud and Killer Joe, yes. He appears to be a seriously fucked up dude in this.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

He steals the show in The Wolf of Wall St too. Someone needs to put McConaughey and Joaquin Phoenix together in a picture, a veritable Godfather II :-)

Yes, True Detective is the best written, best directed and best performed piece of television I've seen in some time (at least since Haynes' Mildred Pierce). Such a shame then that the choice of subject matter is so hackneyed, not to mention slightly repugnant. Still worth a look.

There has been precious little violence in the series up until this point, which I applaud heartily, but in this week's episode when things get crazy, things get crazy. Digital trickery is used for a few cuts but everything ends with an 8 minute tracking shot that's one of the most stressful things I've watched in quite a while. I was more than a little reminded of the great chase sequence in To Live And Die In L.A., which is not only masterfully executed and exciting, it's the point at which you realize the protagonists are waaaay in over their heads.

yeah, saw that and immediately added it to my "next read" list, even though i still haven't started watching this show yet. if yellow king-->lovecraft is the progression, i'm very interested.

TC wrote:yeah, saw that and immediately added it to my "next read" list, even though i still haven't started watching this show yet. if yellow king-->lovecraft is the progression, i'm very interested.
Exactly. Going to give it a look tonight.

Seems like they're setting it up for the twist that Woody is part of the cult, I'm pretty sure MM will accuse him at some point before the end of the series, although they may then execute a double-bluff and reveal that it is actually Woody's father-in-law who holds the blame.

Dunno, I suspect
Cole and Hart faked a major professional breakup/Cole breakdown so Cole could go after the case outside of the police infrastructure since the Yellow King is either police or someone else well-connected and high up in the LA power structure.

Possible, but I still think MM has faked his breakdown to go after Woody:
They have Woody's daughter displaying textbook signs of an abuse victim - this could be Woody's doing, or alternatively his father-in-law; Woody is controlling and abusive towards women generally; Woody spends a lot of time time away from his family; Woody has been on top of the case, controlling it from day one, eg. he didn't want it turned over to the task force, he didn't tell his superior about the second victim MM discovered until he had to; in the latest episode, Woody refused to leave the scene to call for backup and was then the one who executed the cook, before the cook had seen his face; Woody keeps telling the police interviewers / the audience that the answer is "right in front of their nose"; Woody seemed genuinely shocked to discover from the photographs that MM was investigating the recent murders
As I say, this could ultimately prove to be a double-bluff, but I do think they're going to implicate Woody at some point before the end of the season.

Interesting angle! You may well be right, although it seems like Rust has been much more in control of the investigation.

had a mini-marathon over the weekend, culminating in last night's episode. couple of slow burns in the previous two but last night was balls out. goddamn this show is good. i'd watch those two in anything. they carry this happily and effortlessly.
it's always the lawnmower man, isn't it?

Watched the little HBO making-of teaser yesterday, was cool to see that the director insisted they shoot on film ("I know it's dying but I wanted to use it at least one last time") and that they had a full-time professional critter wrangler there to clear all the poisonous snakes and crocs out of their sets. Screw living down there!

I'm very curious as to how they wrap this thing up; based on what we saw this week I could see a fairly pedestrian finale. I hope I'm wrong and that they have one more rug to pull out from under our feet.

Those are nice, but you need to have your mind blown by this "Yellow King Theory" clip:

[youtube][/youtube]