Re: Silicon Valley

Grabbed 2 ep of this and watched last night. Digging it. Has Mike Judge's signature all over it. I predict this being tied with louis for funniest show on tv.
There are no stupid questions. Just stupid people.

Yeah, this is pretty good so far. Only complaint : it seems unlikely that even a first year undergraduate would write a perfect lossless compression algorithm without realising its commercial value.

klimov wrote:Yeah, this is pretty good so far. Only complaint : it seems unlikely that even a first year undergraduate would write a perfect lossless compression algorithm without realising its commercial value.
i'm sure he did. but how do you get it in front of the right people? that, i gather, was the issue. and a very real one.

in hollywood, let's say you have a perfect script. a film guaranteed to be a masterpiece. how do you get it noticed by the right people if you have no existing clout and know no one?

I don't think the two are entirely comparable - scriptwriting is subjective, whereas the algorithm is a technical invention, either it works or it doesn't. And they did rather present it as if he (and everyone else he was working with) didn't at first realise why folks were interested in the website! Still, a fairly minor quibble, show has been very good so far.

marathoned the last few of this the other night. holy shit is this show funny. that finale, omg... had to re-watched it immediately after it ended. that whole "jerk algorithm" section... two hours of arguing about it. i want a poster of that whiteboard. definitely a mike judge show, and man does he nail the 30-minute format here. the cast really makes it.

So the season opener started off a bit flat, perhaps unavoidable as they had to deal with the loss of the show's best character. Then came the negging, which was one of the funniest things I've seen in some time...

We have it sitting on the DVR but to be honest I'm not chomping at the bit for it, thought the show was fine but I wouldn't call it a favorite.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I have pretty much the same feeling as you about this show, I enjoy it enough but I don't think of it as must see. That said, this episode was pretty damn funny. I hope they keep it up.
Just cut them up like regular chickens