The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

wow, can they make it remotely as good as the first one?? this could be sick:
Now Playing wrote:Brian Henson on Dark Crystal 2 and More
Wednesday, 03 May 2006

Henson Company co-CEO Brian Henson got on the phone with Now Playing recently to promote the DVD release of the first two seasons of the animatronic sitcom Dinosaurs. And it didn’t take long for him to begin spilling secrets about his upcoming projects. First up is the “Battleground” episode of Stephen King’s Nightmares and Dreamscapes for TNT.

A Henson doing Stephen King? What gives? “Well, I’ve always wanted to do something not for kids and I basically got to really exercise that on Farscape,” Henson says. “So Farscape was my big adult thing that I did and I did that for a lot of years. In continuing along that line, I did this ‘Battleground’ for Nightmares and Dreamscapes and I think I will do more drama/science fiction in the sort of X-Files vein as well as quite likely doing some more science fiction. I’m also enjoying some adult comedy. I think I would likely do some cool puppet pieces that are puppets but doing adult material.”

But don’t look for any evil puppets in “Battleground.” “There are characters [but] they’re not really puppets. They’re CG characters and costumes. It’s basically about a guy who gets hunted down in his apartment by a box of toy soldiers.”

In even bigger news for children of the 1980s, the Henson Company is doing a feature length Fraggle Rock movie. “I think we announced that we’re trying to develop a Fraggle Rock movie a little bit earlier than we’re doing it. Yes, we’re writing a Fraggle Rock movie and trying to pull it together.”

It’s been so long that they may have to reintroduce the origin story of the Fraggles, but devotees need not worry about a cheap remake. “I think it was more realizing the Fraggles in a slightly different environment. It was to do something that sort of stands next to Fraggle Rock rather than [is] a continuation of [it].”

You’ll see all your favorite Fraggles, and you won’t even be able to tell that the original puppets have been lost to mothballs. “Well, we have to rebuild them because they’re old, but it would be with a lot of those characters, definitely.”

On the front burner for Henson is a sequel to the cult classic The Dark Crystal. “We are trying to pull the business pieces together on a Dark Crystal sequel. That one’s pretty far along. It’s got a good, strong script, a great vision for how to do it and we’re just trying to [put it together].”

Much of the talent involved with the original Dark Crystal has left the Henson Company, so recreating that world will take more than just rebuilding the puppets. “For Dark Crystal, almost none of the voices were actually the puppeteers, so they were mostly voice artists. Where characters need to have the same voice we would likely try to find those voice artists or look for other voice artists.”

If Dark Crystal 2 happens, the obvious follow-up to Labyrinth would not be far behind. But Henson’s not thinking of an outright sequel for that world. “Actually, we’re talking about doing something different with Labyrinth but I can’t really talk about it. So we’re not really working on a sequel for Labyrinth right now, but Dark Crystal we are.”
Last edited by TC on 17/12/18, 10:26:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited the title to reflect new actual title

The Power Of The Dark Crystal

AICN wrote:Spierig Brothers spill a bit on POWER OF THE DARK CRYSTAL!!!

Hey folks, Harry here and here's a report on a recent convention in the land down under upon THE POWER OF THE DARK CRYSTAL. Not a terrible lot of news - and I know that I've heard the 'cg' character is mainly due to a 'fire' element of the creation, I believe... but take a read... at the very least you might learn what being "Boba Fetted" is all about!
Howdy Harry,

I attended an Australian geek centric convention on the weekend named 'Supernova' in Sydney NSW and thought I'd let you in on a few tidbits the super cool Spierig brothers gave on their very informative Daybreakers panel regarding The Power of the Dark Crystal.

I was kinda surprised that nobody had reported this info yet as I saw at least on guy behind me incessantly writing down on a notepad anytime the brothers spoke, maybe it was for community newspaper or something.

Anyways I digress, so with a fractured memory caused by the traditional three day bender that follows the event to ensure that me and my friends still feel like grown ass men afterward getting giddy with excitement at the prospect of meeting Lou Ferrigno and Michael Winslow, I'll just list the details I remember.

Filming will take place in Australia after approximately two of heavy pre-production. The Brothers stated that they would rather shoot in Queensland where they shot Daybreakers and utilizing , but would happily work in Sydney too.

They are shooting in 3D.

Original conceptual designer Brian Froud is working on the picture.

They are still figuring out how much is gonna be practical versus how much will be CG, but assured us that they are using practical puppets as much as possible.

Motion Capture will be utilized, they kinda hinted that it may be for a newer character to the universe.

There was some deceptive talk of the Skeksis and how they would return after plight in the previous movie in one way or another...

I think that was about it as far as details went. I got the feeling that the brothers obliviously love the source material and hearing them talk about it with such passion really made it sink in that this is really happening, another Dark Crystal film!

The rest of the Supernova convention was action packed to say the least, I got Boba Fetted* by Boba Fett, well the kid from Attack of the Clones! He then shadow boxed me as he lead a cosplay groupie into the V.I.P area. True story.

Anyways, If you use this call me Wompaone.

*Boba Fetted is when a homeboy slightly tilts his head at you as a sign of mutual respect, I don't care the Urban Dictionary says!
"giddy" is probably the best word i could use to describe how i feel about this news.

Re: The Power Of The Dark Crystal

HOLY SHIT

[youtube][/youtube]
Netflix Announces The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, a Prequel Series to the Groundbreaking Jim Henson Film
10-episode series from The Jim Henson Company starts shooting in Fall 2017

A beloved classic from the 80s marks its return as Netflix, the world’s leading internet entertainment network, will bring The Jim Henson Company’s The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance exclusively to members around the world. The 10-episode fantasy adventure series is a prequel to the groundbreaking 1982 fan favorite The Dark Crystal, and takes place many years before the events of the film. The series will be shot in the U.K., and will star an ensemble of fantastical, state-of-the-art creatures created by Jim Henson’s Creature Shop™ and Brian Froud, the original feature’s conceptual designer.

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance returns to the world of Thra with an all new adventure. When three Gelfling discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis’ power, they set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their world.

Feature film director Louis Leterrier (Now You See Me, The Incredible Hulk) will executive produce the series and direct. The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance will be a Netflix original series produced by The Jim Henson Company and executive produced by Letterier, Lisa Henson and Halle Stanford. Longtime Henson collaborator Rita Peruggi will serve as producer and Henson’s Blanca Lista will serve as a co-executive producer. Leading the writing are co-executive producers Jeffrey Addiss and Will Matthews (Life in a Year), and Javier Grillo-Marxuach (Lost, The 100).

“The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance will combine the art of puppetry perfected by The Jim Henson Company, with Louis’ vision, powerful storytelling and a mix of cutting-edge digital imagery and visual effects,” said Cindy Holland, Vice President of Original Content at Netflix. “I can’t wait for families around the world to see how we bring these unique characters to life.”

“Louis Leterrier is passionate about the world of The Dark Crystal and has an incredible creative vision for the series. He brings this passion to every facet of the production as he leads the talented team of artists and writers that are bringing this entire universe to life,” said Lisa Henson, CEO of The Jim Henson Company. "Netflix has a deep respect for my father's original work and the many people it inspired. They are the perfect partners to create this next epic chapter in The Dark Crystal story for new fans and the loyal fans who have waited so long for more adventures from this world."
fantastic news.

Re: The Power Of The Dark Crystal

giz wrote:Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Releases First Photos and a Dynamic Voice Cast

Jim Henson once said that he considers The Dark Crystal to be his greatest work. Decades later, a new look at Netflix’s next chapter in his epic saga has arrived—which boasts an incredible voice cast, including Mark Hamill, Nathalie Emmanuel, Anya Taylor Joy, Taron Egerton, and Helena Bodham-Carter—and it feels like the magic of the Mystics has returned.

Netflix has released new images for The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, a 10-episode prequel series set “many years” before the events of The Dark Crystal. According to the plot description, the show is about three young Gelflings (from three of the Gelflings’ seven clans) inspiring a rebellion against the evil emperor Skeksis after learning a terrifying secret about the source of his power. Game of Thrones’ Emmanuel is playing Deet, a member of the cave-dwelling Grottans, Glass’ Taylor Joy plays a noble Vapra named Bree, and Robin Hood’s Egerton is taking on the role of Rian, a Crystal Castle guard from the Stonewood clan. Here are the first images of the three characters.
Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 10.17.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 10.17.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 10.17.44 AM.png
Netflix also announced that Helena Bonham-Carter, Natalie Dormer, Eddie Izzard, Alicia Vikander, Harvey Fierstein, Mark Hamill and Simon Pegg are joining the cast as Gelflings, Skelsis, and Mystics, along with several others. You can read the full list below.
Other Gelfling characters in #TheDarkCrystal: Age Of Resistance are voiced by: @caitrionambalfe, Helena Bonham-Carter, Harris Dickinson, Natalie Dormer, @eddieizzard, Theo James, Toby Jones, @shazad, @gugumbatharaw, Mark Strong, and Alicia Vikander
The Skeksis & Mystics in #TheDarkCrystal: Age Of Resistance are voiced by: Harvey Fierstein, @HamillHimself @ralphineson @jasonsfolly @KeeganMKey, Ólafur Darri Ólafsson @simonpegg & @AndySamberg. Also Aughra will be voiced by Donna Kimball!
The series, based on the beloved fantasy film, is being directed and produced by Louis Leterrier (The Incredible Hulk), along with The Jim Henson Company. It also features the return of Brian Froud, the original film’s conceptual designer. And there will be at least one special new creature among the familiar beings. Earlier this year, The Jim Henson Company hosted a contest in which fans could submit designs for a new creature to inhabit the world of The Dark Crystal, with Yukari Masuike’s “Moog” being crowned winner. You can check out the design below.
nzugygsrfkagojr46j9g.jpg
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance comes out sometime in 2019.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

I stand by my thoughts on Muppets, and whatever that one was after it with Tina Fey I would actually call bad (and I usually like most things Tina Fey). I think Frank Oz called it properly.
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/246374 ... he-muppets
He did say on twitter just recently that he'd heard good things about what's happening on the new Dark Crystal. Considering he was co-director on the original, that does give me a glimmer of hope now.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Re: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

DH wrote:Netflix’s “Dark Crystal” Series Set For August

Following some new photos yesterday, more stills have cropped up along with confirmed news of an August 30th launch date for “The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance,” Netflix’s upcoming prequel series to the iconic 1982 Jim Henson fantasy film.

Louis Leterrier helms the ten-episode fantasy adventure series blends classic puppetry with cutting-edge visual effects in a story that begins as the world of Thra is dying. The Crystal of Truth is at the heart of Thra, a source of untold power. But it is damaged, corrupted by the evil Skeksis, and a sickness spreads across the land.

When three Gelfling (Taron Egerton, Anya Taylor-Joy and Nathalie Emmanuel) uncover the horrific truth behind the power of the Skeksis, an adventure unfolds as the fires of rebellion are lit and an epic battle for the planet begins.

Helena Bonham-Carter, Eddie Izzard, Andy Samberg, Alicia Vikander, Natalie Dormer, Mark Strong, Mark Hamill, Harvey Fierstein, Jason Isaacs, Simon Pegg, Caitriona Balfe, Keegan-Michael Key, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Toby Jones, Theo James and more co-star.