Marvel/Netflix series

BURBANK, Calif., Nov. 7, 2013 – The Walt Disney Co. (Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels,” sNYSE: DIS) and Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX) today announced an unprecedented deal for Marvel TV to bring multiple original series of live-action adventures of four of Marvel’s most popular characters exclusively to the world’s leading Internet TV Network beginning in 2015. This pioneering agreement calls for Marvel to develop four serialized programs leading to a miniseries programming event.

Led by a series focused on “Daredevil,” followed by “Jessica Jones,” “Iron Fist” and “Luke Cage,” the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell’s Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a culminating Marvel’s “The Defenders” mini-series event that reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.

Produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Television Studios, this groundbreaking deal is Marvel’s most ambitious foray yet into live-action TV storytelling.

“This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel’s brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel’s specialty,” said Alan Fine, President of Marvel Entertainment. “This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what’s sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure.”

“Marvel’s movies, such as ‘Iron Man’ and Marvel’s ‘The Avengers’, are huge favorites on our service around the world. Like Disney, Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels,” said Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. “With ‘House of Cards’ and our other original series, we have pioneered new approaches to storytelling and to global distribution and we’re thrilled to be working with Disney and Marvel to take our brand of television to new levels with a creative project of this magnitude.”

This new original TV deal follows last year’s landmark movie distribution deal through which, beginning with 2016 theatrically released feature films, Netflix will be the exclusive U.S. subscription television service for first-run, live-action and animated movies from the Walt Disney Studios, including titles from Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Disneynature and Lucasfilm. Netflix members can currently enjoy a wide range of Disney, ABC TV and Disney Channel films and shows across the 41 countries where Netflix operates.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Re: Marvel/Netflix series

I think if the quality is there, people will find their way to it. Here's the thing about Netflix--if you just want to watch one show, sign up for the free month and watch it since they put their episodes all out at once. That's what we did back in April for Arrested Development (and here I am 6 months later with an active subscription, so they got me). They can put the stuff out on DVD/Blu-Ray for sale. Since Netflix has done very well with original content this year, this seems like a good next step for them. And we can get things leaning towards R on Netflix as compared to the PG-13 stuff we're used to.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

When it was announced that Netflix was working on four connecting series based on Marvel comic books, we asked, “Will the shows be creator-driven or brand-driven?” It appears to be both. The Wrap reports that Drew Goddard will be writing the series. Goddard is both a Joss Whedon and J.J. Abrams guy, with credits including Buffy, Lost, Cloverfield, and The Cabin in the Woods. Most recently, he worked with Damon Lindelof on a rewrite of World War Z. It's a dream come true for Goddard, who even before there was word of this project told Collider how big a fan he was of Daredevil as a kid: “You’re talking to a guy who had quotes from Daredevil painted on his wall while growing up.” He added, “Even when I was 18, I still had the blood-red door with the ‘I have shown him that a man without hope is a man without fear.’ That was what I loved, and so it’s the sort of thing that if we can find the right project, I would love to do it.” He’s such a big fan that years ago he blinded himself and writes everything through a heightened sense of hearing.
Very pleased.

Well this has lain fallow for a while...Goddard left because Sony lured him away to write a Sinister Six movie, which is now shitcanned, but he stayed involved and got another Whedon alum, Stephen S. DeKnight, to run the show, so I'm still pleased. And then this badass poster dropped today (this is the motion version):

[youtube][/youtube]

Alexhead wrote:Goddard left because Sony lured him away to write a Sinister Six movie, which is now shitcanned,
Where did you hear this? Everything I've read says Sinister Six is still on, and I can't find any reports saying it's been canceled. There's a casting call for Amazing Spidey 3 which will likely be out first, but nothing I can find saying Six is dead.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

I have read in multiple places that all the Spidey plans are currently on hold after ASM2's poor reception. The Sony leaks have revealed there were substantive conversations happening with Marvel about co-producing the character in the MCU going forward, with a re-casting of the role and essentially forgetting about the Garfield/Webb films and attempt at a larger universe. Sony hasn't said anything officially but the emails point to some turmoil and a lot of the better rumor sites have been saying that it's all very up in the air at the moment.

That leak stuff is all old news. Casting calls went out for Spidey 3 a week ago or so, which listed Andrew Garfield as the star. Generally you don't seek to cast a film you're not making. And a bunch of new Sinister Six news has come after the leaks (though there was talk of re-casting Spiderman for it). And all indications from the Sony leaks were that the Marvel talks ended and an agreement couldn't be reached.

Guess we'll see. I haven't read anything on SS recently that didn't have to do with problems but who knows. Do they have a writer and director for ASM3?

I haven't heard anything about a director, and not having a writer never stopped them before. This is what the casting call said:

Studio: Columbia Pictures (Sony)
Project Name:The Amazing Spider-man 3
Starring: Andrew Garfield, Dane DeHaan
Description:Peter Parker/Spider-Man faces a new challenge to protect New York City.
Casting for: Extras, male/female, 18-65, all races/ethnicities
Project type: Feature Film
Shooting Location: Atlanta, GA
Payrate: $148/day, up to $900/day for speaking/special talent parts
Union: SAG voucher eligible

The internet strikes back: http://collider.com/spider-man-avengers-3-marvel/

Latino Review has been a very solid source for Marvel movie info for some time now, not always perfect but better than most. Although they do go into some spoiler-y detail on Age of Ultron and some other stuff, so be warned if you're going to go read the whole thing.

Sony says the Spidey rumor is B.S.
Comic Book Resources wrote:When reached by CBR News, a Sony Pictures representative dismissed the report, calling it an "old rumor" with "no validity whatsoever."

Looks like Vincent nails The Kingpin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You can apply the "anything's got to be better than" qualifier to just about anything about the movie. And they even had Jennifer Garner showing a lot of skin, which should never be a bad thing. But ultimately even she was miscast.

True that. Though Garner wasn't showing as much as she should have been given the normal costume. That said, I have a soft spot for solo Elektra film. It's not good, but for some reason I enjoy watching it.