Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. [Whedon]

Watered down Whedon for the masses (some probably already find him watered down, but he's swimming in some very mass appeal friendly procedural waters this time, unlike, say, having a vampire lead a detective agency or a teenage girl be a vampire slayer). It was good family fun, had a couple of typical Whedon twists. He's a somewhat predictable subverter of expectations but when he does, they work and are entertaining for what they are. Cast is too young and pretty to appear to be expert in anything, but what's new. They tie it in not only with The Avengers but with Iron Man 3 in a not insignificant way, which I thought was kind of cool. I'll keep watching.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

"Talking to me about authority?" Lol. That made tonight's episode. The rest, I suppose it was necessary story wise to show them coming together as a team. But I do hope the plots get better. This was a big of a step down from last week.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

darkness wrote:"Talking to me about authority?" Lol. That made tonight's episode. The rest, I suppose it was necessary story wise to show them coming together as a team. But I do hope the plots get better. This was a big of a step down from last week.
I kind of agree, it was light as a feather. We are getting Whedon Lite here.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:I kind of agree, it was light as a feather. We are getting Whedon Lite here.
Literally. We got Jed instead of Joss. Ratings are down a good bit though that's to be expected. Next week will be more telling.

A full season ordered. Seems the ratings went back up for episode three. Though I wonder how many of those were people who were about the Sam Jackson cameo the week before and were hoping for more. It'll be interesting to see how episode four goes.

That interview kind of pissed me off as it says the exact same things they were saying in August and September, no commentary on anyone but Coulson, no response to criticism, no discussion of any specific aired episodes so far. I will say they are tentatively getting stronger, they've had a couple of good character episodes recently including this week's supposed Thor tie-in (really has nothing to do with the movie outside of the first scene and Thor being mentioned 5 times throughout), which ended with an interesting, grown-up twist on a couple of characters and a great shout-out to Dollhouse.

Well this show has been hammered by erratic scheduling, due in no small part to the Olympics I'm sure, but I have to say they are rounding into form and had possibly their best episode yet last night, a more or less direct tie-in to Captain America: The Winter Soldier and some smart payoffs on some season-long big bad stuff. Hopefully the DVR ratings help boost their overall numbers, as the regular ratings are pretty poor (thanks in no small part to the many hiatuses they've taken).

So any guesses as to how the
3d city map
they found will tie in to the Marvel films? If Thor was closer I'd give good money on that one, maybe an alien threat to Asgard. Avengers 2 doesn't seem to really have any alien influence in it so it doesn't seem likely. Or it could me something we completely didn't see coming but all the clues were there in hindsight like the fall of Shield in Winter Soldier.

All indications are that
it's the secret city where The Inhumans are from, which are getting their own flick in a few years. I think it's called Attilan. I'm not as familiar with them but I'm pretty sure their backstory involves the Kree coming and splicing their DNA with humanity (getting their interspecies fuck on?) millions of years ago to make superfolks called Inhumans. Marvel would very much like to have them replace Mutants in the minds of the general audience, to the point where they are killing off Wolverine and putting shitty writers on the X-Men titles (and ending Fantastic Four, for that matter) these days in the comics.

Yeah, I wasn't familiar with Daisy but have read up a bit on it today. The midseason finale felt like kind of a plotty rush job but it was still fine. Kyle continues to be great, very glad they're going to have him back again (Jed and Mo said as much), and he is a villain from the comics too.

darkness wrote:
NYT wrote:FFamiliarity also factored into the casting of Ming-Na Wen as Melinda May, a martial arts expert and pilot; Ms. Wen is still remembered from “ER.” But Mr. Loeb said that she was also hired to send a subtle signal to ABC’s audience.

“We were not afraid to hire an actress who is a little older than people might expect,” Mr. Loeb said of Ms. Wen, 49.
Just started watching this on NetFlix this week. Not bad so far; we're about halfway through Season 1. I was amazed that Ming-Na Wen is that old. One of the hottest 50-year olds I can think of.
Are you propositioning me? I taste like candy and you want the recipe?

If you've enjoyed the early going, you are in for a treat as it gets hugely better as it gets the character establishment out of the way and starts building mythology. And I hope you've seen Captain America: The Winter Soldier as its events will definitely influence the series.

Next week's Agents of SHIELD features them going after Hydra if the promo is to be believed. Age of Ultron opens two days later and starts with the Avengers fighting Hydra. Coincidence? It's Marvel so I suspect not.

darkness wrote:Next week's Agents of SHIELD features them going after Hydra if the promo is to be believed. Age of Ultron opens two days later and starts with the Avengers fighting Hydra. Coincidence? It's Marvel so I suspect not.
In last night's episode they started talking about Baron Von Strucker, who's the guy who made Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver based on the Cap 3 post-credits tag. They will most definitely be tying it in (and they're always fighting with Hydra on that show one way or another, of course).

My suspicion (putting this in spoiler tags for anyone who may be watching SHIELD but not caught up) is that
based on a current plotline in which SHIELD essentially broke into two factions, one who followed Coulson (following Fury's plan) and one who followed Edward James Olmos (not following Fury's plan), Samuel J will make his annual cameo appearance on the show to rectify that, then spout something about sending in the big guns after Von Strucker. Also, there's been some rumor that SHIELD agents in training have been seen on the Ultron shoot, and Coulson's been 'secretly' working on some large facility with lots of bunks that the Olmos faction thinks is for housing Inhumans, my guess is Coulson's been helping develop something to rebuild SHIELD with Fury that we'll then see in the movie.

I don't think we'll see Fury in SHIELD. I get the feeling he's even only barely there in Ultron. My theory is that the two SHIELDs team up to go after Hydra, which is kind of what we see at the end of the episode. This will lead to the Avengers being called in. In the process of it Olmos either gets killed in action or has been hatching his own evil plot all along, and once he's gone Coulson will take over the SHIELD resources Olmos had, which are a lot bigger with more soldiers. That's what we see in Ultron. But I guess we'll know in less than a week.

You could well be right. All I know is, I'm going to want to see Ultron at about 9pm on Tuesday and I won't be able to until at least Saturday.