Zombieland

VH1 wrote: 'Zombieland' Stars Have A Blast Hunting Down Drooling Flesh-Eaters
Emma Stone, Jesse Eisenberg and Woody Harrelson find the joy in their nightmare world.

If zombies rose up from their graves tomorrow, they'd want to eat our brains. Every second of our remaining lives would be a living nightmare, sneaking and hiding and running away from the undead. The world, as we know it, would become a living hell.

Or would it? That's the provocative, fun-loving central question behind "Zombieland," a buzz-heavy film out October 9 that finds a small group of people embracing their inner monster-hunters when they find themselves in a world full of limping, drooling flesh-eaters. As part of our ongoing Fall Preview week, we recently caught up with the film's stars to ask them a question we've all pondered at one time or another: If you had to kill a zombie, what would be your weapon of choice?

"I have a pretty cool pump shotgun [in the film] that I liked a lot," grinned "House Bunny" star Emma Stone, who plays Wichita, one of the four survivors — who also include Little Rock, Tallahassee and Columbus — who call themselves after their hometowns so they won't grow close enough to be unable to kill each other in case of infection. "I did [train with a real gun]. I had to go to a gun range. We got to pick the weapon from there. I was originally supposed to have a genuine, old-school shotgun. Then I tried a handgun, a shotgun and a rifle, but when I got this pump shotgun in my hand, I was like, 'This is it. This is it!' It was pretty cool."

"The movie takes place in this post-apocalyptic world called Zombieland," explained "The Squid and the Whale" star Jesse Eisenberg, who plays Columbus. "And it tells the story of these four individuals who join together despite different circumstances to survive in this world. I'm obsessed with survival, and I have a list of 47 rules for how to survive in a world of zombies."

Forget about weapons — Eisenberg's list might actually be the most valuable asset in a zombie uprising. "Pre-Zombieland, [my character] has obsessive-compulsive disorder," the actor explained. "Post-Zombieland, he uses that to his advantage. ... The list is comically boring. Like, Ziploc bags, carry a suitcase with wheels on the bottom instead of a duffel bag so that you can run faster while being chased by a zombie. You want to limber up, to make sure you've stretched; do a lot of cardio. Always know your way out; don't be a hero."

"It is supposed to be a comedy," reasoned Woody Harrelson, who has likely one of the fall's breakout characters: a banjo-toting, homicidal, loner madman who seems to be having the most fun in this world of mayhem and murder. And what's his weapon of choice? "I like chain saws," he said, flashing a wicked grin. "I get to wield two at the same time."

"It's hilarious. I think it might be the funniest movie that has ever been made," director Ruben Fleischer deadpanned. "These are the survivors in a zombie-filled, barren landscape. And now they have to kill zombies, get Twinkies, meet some girls and travel across the country."

Re: Zombieland

Ok, so not much talk about this one I see. Just saw this very, very funny little zombie-comedy and loved it. Easily one of the most fun movies I've seen in years. Great cast, lots and lots of gore and...
Bill Murray in the greatest cameo of all time.

Highly recommended.
Last edited by _Marcus_ on 22/11/09, 09:39:40, edited 1 time in total.

Dude, spoiler tag that cameo!!! Ruining one of the best gags in the flick for the uninitiated!
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Agreed on all counts. I'm so glad that I hadn't read any spoilers beforehand. I didn't even know that there was a cameo, much less who it was, and it was awesome. The movie lags a little bit in the middle, but it's still lots of fun.

glad i have been all over the place lately - i read marcus' post before he edited it but have already forgotten what it said. :)

can't wait to see this on dvd.

finally saw this this morning. freakin' awesome. loved it. yes, the cameo was spectacular. glad i didn't know it was coming or how it would end.

fun as fuck movie. i lol'd in many places.

Interestingly (well, mildly), the movie was originally pitched as a t.v. show, they made it into a movie when no network bit (see what I did there?). But at this point, yes, should be horrible.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Even less interesting but I had to mention it, our home DVD copy of this film is a bootleg straight off the streets of Kabul, sent over by a soldier friend. Plays perfectly.

So I watched this over at amazon.com...fucking terrible. Whoever picked the guy who plays Talahassee should be shot. No budget. Bad acting. Hopefully this will die a quick death.

good job, tim:
/film wrote:‘Zombieland’ TV Pilot Dropped By Amazon; Creator Cites Fan Hate

Zombieland started as a TV pitch, became a movie, went back to a TV format and is now dead. The TV pilot, which premiered on Amazon last month, has been officially axed by the streaming service, ending a rollercoaster ride for the creators and fans of the franchise who’d been clamoring for a follow-up. Franchise creators Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick wrote and directed the pilot which featured the same humor, violence and characters and as the movie, but with less recognizable actors.

Reese took to Twitter to voice his displeasure with the show’s dismissal, suggesting Zombieland fans “hated it out of existence.” Read more below.

The news of the show’s end broke Thursday night, hat tip to Bloody Disgusting, then Reese took to Twitter:
Rhett Reese @RhettReese wrote:Our Zombieland series will not be moving forward on Amazon. Sad for everyone involved.
9:11 PM - 16 May 2013

I'll never understand the vehement hate the pilot received from die-hard Zombieland fans. You guys successfully hated it out of existence.
9:21 PM - 16 May 2013

Anyway, we did our best, and we're very proud of our team.
9:26 PM - 16 May 2013
To be honest, I didn’t follow any of the aforementioned Zombieland fan hate. I kind of blindly assumed the show had a fan base, a great familiar premise, a new, less demanding outlet, and would get picked up. Obviously, that was all way off base. For those who watched the show, is Reese warranted here? Was it so different from the movie we all know and love that fans crushed it? Or was the quality simply not up to par?

Another question that must now be discussed is if this officially kills a Zombieland 2? The project has always had the support of everyone involved, but it also launched Reese/Wernick and director Ruben Fleisher to such heights their returns have never been certain. The fall back was always, “Oh, we’ll just continue this with a TV show.” Now, with the pilot bombing so bad, one would think Sony would be very wary of picking up the franchise.

Franchise creators Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick wrote and directed the pilot which featured the same humor, violence and characters and as the movie
The fuck it did.

I get how internet is mostly compiled of hate, anger and a huge sense of entitlement these days... but if your thing is shit (wich it seems to be), then blaming the haters seems like an easy escape.

Was it apparent that it was written by the same people, featured the same characters in the same world and attempted the same style of humor as the movie? Sure. Did it appear to have zero budget outside of a C grade makeup team, barely trained actors and a cheap CGI department, resulting in a horribly forced shadow of the original? Oh yeah. Internet hate was totally justified on this one, it was awful. Period.