The Matrix megathread

set your clocks, people:
Entertainment Tonight Online wrote: 'Matrix' Mania Begins!

May 10, 2002
Let the countdown commence! The two 'Matrix' sequels won't arrive until 2003, but don't fret: ET has the exclusive world premiere of not only 'The Matrix Reloaded' teaser trailer, but 'The Matrix Revolutions' teaser, too -- all coming next Wednesday night!

After spending months boning up on their martial arts and high-wire training, KEANU REEVES, LAURENCE FISHBURNE, CARRIE-ANNE MOSS and bad guy HUGO WEAVING are hard at work in Sydney, Australia filming the back-to-back sequels to the 1999 box-office smash.

"The sequel carves a continuation of [my character] Neo's journey and his quest to find out the truth," Keanu reveals to ET. "It's more about the conflict with the machines and the humans."

And this time around, the stunts and special effects in 'Reloaded' and 'Revolutions' are even more spectacular than the first go-around!

"We are trying to do some crazy things out here," offers Keanu. "The kung-fu sequences are more sophisticated and more challenging than the first film. Some of the wire work [allows me to] do back flips and cartwheels all in one shot.

"It's pushed me to my limits. Before it was like, 'Can you do two kicks?' and now it's like, 'Can you do three kicks, but with a jumping backspin hook-kick?' So it's like you have learned to walk -- now can you fly."

Although co-directors ANDY and LARRY WACHOWSKI are keeping all of the 'Reloaded' and 'Revolutions' storylines tightly under wraps, we can tell you that 'Malena' star, MONICA BELLUCCI, and WILL SMITH's significant other, JADA PINKETT-SMITH, have trained hard and joined the athletic cast for the next adventure. Monica's character remains a mystery for the moment, but Jada will play Niobe, the love interest of Morpheus, Laurence Fishburne's character in the movie.

"These sequels are going to blast the original off the screen, and that's exactly what the fans want," says Jada.

After shooting some preliminary scenes in San Francisco and some test footage stateside, the Aussie portion of Warner Bros.' 'Reloaded' started filming last year on September 24 at 20th Century Fox's Sydney studios.

Filming of the two sequels is expected to wrap in Sydney this August, and 'The Matrix Reloaded' is due for release in summer 2003. 'The Matrix Revolutions,' is due just months later in November 2003. The original 'The Matrix' and a special behind-the-scenes documentary, 'The Matrix Revisited,' are both currently available on VHS and DVD.

Don't forget to watch ET Wednesday night for the exclusive world premiere of both teaser trailers!
Last edited by TC on 24/01/11, 12:45:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged eleventeen different Matrix threads, changed title to suit

The Matrix sequels

thoughts from Keanu & Joel Silver. i particularly like the "There is no bar" line from Silver. you think he's seen The Matrix a few zillion times?
scifi.com wrote: keanu Reeves, who reprises the role of Neo in the upcoming sequel films The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, told SCI FI Wire that his newly powerful character faces stiff challenges and continues his journey of discovery in the new films. "The brothers [writer-directors Andy and Larry Wachowski] have put up some great obstacles to test those powers, and the story kind of goes outside of the Matrix and starts to concern itself with the machines in Zion," Reeves said at a press conference at Fox Studios Australia in Sydney, where the films are currently in production.

Reeves added, "So it’s almost [that] what he can do in the Matrix is not enough. And he’s still on the path of discovery and choice. He’s told by the Oracle that ... he has some choices that he’ll have to make that will affect the survival of the human race. And there are some hardships. And all of us are trying to save the world. And the development between Neo and Trinity [Carrie-Anne Moss] is explored, and with Morpheus [Laurence Fishburne] and [Agent] Smith [Hugo Weaving]. And so I think that’s just about it. It’s the development of the hero journey for my character, which is new challenges and choices. And it’s not so much about being born. He wanted to find out where he was. Now he knows. Or he thinks he knows."

For his part, producer Joel Silver promised to reporters that the visual effects in the two sequels will outdo anything seen in movies so far. "When we made the first movie ... we didn’t have an enormous amount of money to work with, and the boys had very strict ideas about a specific visual effect that they wanted to explore, and they ended up using it four times in the picture, and ... we called it ... bullet time. And it was during the Stone Age. It was a Stone Age effect. ... And immediately when the movie opened, we saw repetitions of that. ... Television commercials came first. They were the first out. And then we began seeing it in a few movies here and there. And then every movie. And it wasn’t just the visual effects that were being stolen. ... It was the way the boys staged, shot, cut, moved the camera. It was pretty much everything they did began to be copied in every other movie."

Were the Wachowskis flattered? "For a while ... I bet they thought it was flattering," Silver said. "But after a while, they kind of got angry about it. So they decided that, in these two movies, they would create visual effects that could never be copied. So we have done visual effects for the movie that, because of the time that we took to make them and the cost, will never be seen again. So I really think that the bar has been raised so high that, you know, there is no bar. This will end the way movies have been made up to now, because they can go no further. The computer is allowing us to do things that we never dreamed we could do before. ... The [first film’s] bullet-time sequences ... were the beginning, the embryonic stage of what computers could do. It’s just now at such a level that they can do anything they want. And the great thing about it is that ... the guys have enough intellect and understand the process enough so they are able to create an arena that this stuff can exist in that could not exist anywhere else."

Both films will shoot for another two months or so. The Matrix Reloaded is eyeing a May 2003 release; Revolutions may open in the fall of 2003.
all i know is - I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!!!!!!!!

:killer: That bullet time refference reminded me of a game it showed up in, Max Payne. If ya haven't seen or played this one I would recomend it highly. I found myself just watching the game forgetting to play it at times. You get to be like Neo and slow time down.

Max Payne is great!! the only reason i got ahold of it to begin with is because there is a compnay that is making a skin for the entire game that would adapt it to the Matrix world - characters, scenes, etc. i'll have to see if i can dig that up again...

******************* SPOILER ALERT *************************

Coming Attractions wrote:July 25, 2002... While speaking with Sci-Fi Wire, actress Gina Torres said that her Matrix Reloaded character's name is Cass, and that she is the widow of Dozer, the Zion-born brother of Tank. "I guess that much I can tell you: I'm in Zion," she said to Sci-Fi Wire. "I'm Real World." [First appeared at Sci-Fi Wire.]

Producer Joel Silver spoke with Empire magazine and revealed where things were at this stage of the production. What Silver said also revealed more clues about what we can expect from the sequels:
  • Silver said the events in Reloaded and Revolutions apparently take place over the period of 24 hours. "It is one enormous movie that's being cut in half," he said.
  • Empire also likened the new female characters played by Monica Belluci, Jada Pinkett-Smith and Nona Gaye as "warriors in the PVC-clad Trinity mould."
  • Apparently the majority of Reloaded is set in the Matrix itself, much like the original film. Neo will be discovering new abilities described as "superhero" powers as well as the ability to see different levels and programs existing within the Matrix environment.
  • Revolutions will primarily take place in the real world, with machines terrorizing Zion.
Silver also revealed that the Wachowskis are just about to start filming an extremely complex scene that will last about 14 minutes in one of the two movies. The Matrix producer described it as "The most complicated sequence ever put on film." [ HOLY SHIT!!!! --TC]

"I really think the bar has been raised so high, that there is no bar."

some soundtrack news finally, and a wee bit more about Animatrix.
Maverick wrote:The Matrix: Reloaded
10/4/2002

A&R consultant for Maverick Records, DJ, Remixer, and music supervisor, Jason Bentley takes over, once again, his role as music supervisor for The Matrix sequels soundtracks. The original Matrix soundtrack went platinum and was nominated for a Grammy Award. The soundtrack for the Matrix will be sonsistent with the first, featuring cutting edge hard rock and electronica. Some of the key players including Linkin Park, Prodigy, Deftones, and Zack de la Rocha of Rage Against the Machine. [TC - Prodigy still exists?? :roll:]

The Animatrix is a seris of 9 animated stories by 7 different directors. Each anime is around ten minutes long and will be initially released on the internet in advance of Matrix 2: Reloaded, then compiled on DVD for a Summer 2003 release from Warners Home Video.

"The Matrix: Reloaded" will be in theatres on May 15th, 2003. Neo, Morpheus, Trinity, and the rest of their crew continue to battle the machines that have enslaved the human race in the Matrix. Now, more humans are waking up out of the matrix and attempting to live in the real world. As their numbers grow, the battle moves to Zion, the last real-world city and center of human resistance.
Last edited by TC on 22/10/02, 19:40:19, edited 1 time in total.

TC wrote:sonsistent with the first, featuring cutting edge hard rock and electronica. Some of the key players including Linkin Park, Prodigy, Deftones, and Zack de la Rocha of Rage Against the Machine.
Er, Linkin Park, cutting edge? BWAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Gee, why don't they just load on more shems and get Kelly Osbourne to cover "Symptom of the Universe"...

*dry anal raping*

:evil:
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

TC wrote:six Reloaded teaser posters have been put up over at AICN. check 'em out!
Can't get that fat ass's Web page to load.
:killer:
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

ok, well here you go:
AICN wrote:The Photographic Teaser One Sheets For MATRIX RELOADED!!!

Hey folks, Harry here with the full set of six teaser one-sheets for MATRIX RELOADED! Looking pretty snazzy wouldn't ya say? Seems that all the clothing is definitely more textured this time out. Very styling! All sorts of coolness. Will these be on your walls soon? Hmmmm....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ok, well here you go:
so it's intentional to cut the tops of everyone's heads off? :mrgreen:

I'm so Midwestern.

TC wrote:ok, well here you go:
and is it me, or does Morpheus' gun look like Han Solo's blaster?

O-dot wrote:so it's intentional to cut the tops of everyone's heads off? :mrgreen:
don't you know? it's doubling as a clothes commercial. ;)
O-dot wrote:and is it me, or does Morpheus' gun look like Han Solo's blaster?
thank you! that was my first thought exactly! :roflmao:

The Matrix: Reloaded - *

Public Service Announcement
This movie will cause you to lose consciousness.

I really do wish the trailers had contained this simple warning, so that I could have the last three hours and $13 of my life back. Because the sequel to one of my favourites has absolutely destroyed the series for me, and there's no way in hell I'm going to see the trilogy come to an end; it'll be hard enough to forget that this movie ever happened.

Critics are touting this as a movie that leans heavily on effects. I beg to differ; the effects were the saving grace of this movie. If they had taken the two hours of droning, repetitive, bullshit dialogue and replaced all of it with a couple more fights, maybe the movie could have gotten up to three stars. But as it stands, I can't even write a meaningful review right now. It's not humanly possible. I just want to find those Wachowski brothers, stab them in the face about seventeen times, then take $26 from each of their wallets - just enough to refund the money spent by myself and my three buddies on this guy's night out.

I'll try to go in-depth with my explanations later, if I can bring myself to think about this movie ever again. But for now, be warned - this is a rental, and only if it's the third-one-free. That way you can pause it every ten seconds to figure out what the fuck the Oracle/Keymaker/French Guy/Architect is saying, and if it makes any sense.

But please, people, don't see this movie on your own dime, and get the word out.
TC wrote:as soon as baseball stops being homosexual, i will.

Re: The Matrix: Reloaded - *

wow.

Well Kanuck ol' pal, I liked the original too much to skip this out, so I'll have to see it anyway, I'm afraid! Until Saturday!

:mrgreen:

Well, try going into it with a pessimistic point of view. Because I went into it thinking it would be good, and was horribly disappointed - maybe, knowing how bad it is, you'll be graciously fooled into liking it ;)

Just see if you think of it as the world's longest cliche :D
TC wrote:as soon as baseball stops being homosexual, i will.

Heh, funny, I thought the first Matrix was the one with all the bullshit dialogue that dragged on. So this one sounds like a fine continuation! I'll go see the thing, it looks like good eye candy.

well, as a huge Matrix fan, i'll be seeing this very soon, possibly tonight at home and definately on the big screen tuesday night. be expecting thoughts from me. a co-worker here saw it wednesday night and said that it was "very good" but somewhat cheesy.

this review certainly doesn't make me too happy about it. maybe if i go in expecting it to suck i'll be pleasantly surprised.