Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Apple already seems a bit lost without him. There's no one left to take already existing products, make them look pretty and sell them for twice as much. He was a genius at reading people and giving them what they want. Apple needs to put a shrine of him in front of their building since he singlehandedly saved that company from oblivion.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

holy shit! :( :( :(

agree with mike. he created the products i learned on in the '80s, some of the products i most hate in the entire tech world in the '90s, and some of the products i most love in the '00s. his unique vision and hard line (and patience) saved them, yes. it's now a question mark.

They certainly got the whole religion aspect of Apple down.

As much as I despise many Apple users and what the company itself does, there is no denying that Jobs was indeed a total visionary. While I much prefer Android, it quite probably wouldn't be what it is without Jobs (and if Apple keep suing for bullshit patents, wont be).

Edit: "After completing high school in Cupertino, northern California..." bloody hell, high school reunions must suck for absolutely everyone else there.

Also, "On his return to America Jobs resumed his work with Atari and was given the task of creating a more compact circuit board for the game Breakout. He had little interest in the intricacies of circuit board design and persuaded his 16-year old friend, Steve Wozniak, to do the job for him, offering to split any bonus fifty-fifty. Jobs was given $5,000 by a delighted Atari, but Wozniak only got $300, under the impression the payout was $600." - and so the ethos of Apple was born. :v:

PS: Holy fuck, the iPod is 10 years old. :o

Obama actually paid a pretty good tribute to him:
Da Prez wrote:We are saddened to hear of the passing of Steve Jobs. Steve was among the greatest of American innovators - brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it.

By building one of the planet's most successful companies from his garage, he exemplified the spirit of American ingenuity. By making computers personal and putting the internet in our pockets, he made the information revolution not only accessible, but intuitive and fun. And by turning his talents to storytelling, he has brought joy to millions of children and grownups alike. Steve was fond of saying that he lived every day like it was his last. Because he did, he transformed our lives, redefined entire industries, and achieved one of the rarest feats in human history: he changed the way each of us sees the world.

The world has lost a visionary. And there may be no greater tribute to Steve's success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented. Michelle and I send our thoughts and prayers to Steve's wife Laurene, his family, and all those who loved him.

TC wrote:i'm an apple user, do you hate me?
Clearly. :rolleyes:

many != all, but you knew that.

Apple just happens to have a larger percentage of users who use it for the image alone compared to other products, and they usually present themselves as the foremost authority on technology when any remotely related subject comes up out there in the real world.

I know a fair number of iphone users who had a black iphone 4 that rushed to the store to buy the white one when it came out just because they had to have the newest one. I believe those are the "many" in question. I'd like to think this is an isolated odd nut but sadly I know of at least six people who did this.

Obviously an innovator/aggregator/marketer/thief for the ages, but didn't the wide open coding platform of DOS do a lot more to propagate technology than the ivory tower source code of Apple? I have heard both sides of the argument and I suppose both have merit. Seems to me though the idea that anyone could go code anything came a lot more from the PC/Microsoft world than Apple.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Some classy folks here broke into our new Apple store last night and stole more than two dozen iPhones, plus iPads and laptops.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:Some classy folks here broke into our new Apple store last night and stole more than two dozen iPhones, plus iPads and laptops.
Are you sure they were stolen? Maybe they ascended to heaven with him.

If we're talking coding and all that stuff, we're not really talking about Jobs genius. That was not his game, that was all Steve Wozniak. However, Jobs was an absolute genius businessman who knew what people wanted before they knew it themselves. He innovated in style and form, not in pure hardware, and made his tech trendy like no other.

i can't think of any other person that has affected my daily life more than he did. i mean, i don't have an iphone, never have (want to get one now that they are on sprint though), but i recognize that that single device changed the face of mobility forever. every other device since has simply tried to be it. i've gone through a palm pre and currently HTC EVO, both of which were supposed to be "the next iphone" or at least a contender, and they weren't/aren't even close. and really, i remember scoffing at the iphone when it was first introduced, laughing at it. "am i going to get a little frowny face or a bomb picture when i drop a call?" boy was i wrong.

and digital music players? c'mon, do i even have to get into it?

and really, music in general - no one took digital distribution seriously until the itunes store.

and the ipad - yet another example of giving the world something they didn't know they wanted before they needed it. now every other company is scrambling to compete in a completely new market space.

i'm typing this on a macbook pro, my second one. after having one for a few years, i sold it (for a good cause), thinking going back to a regular laptop would be no big deal. i was wrong. i hated every second of it. two years later, i finally bought another one. you all know i'm a geek and i do have many systems in my house. all others are windows-based. but the one i spend the most time on is this one, and it's really enjoyable. as much as i HATED their products in the '90s/early '00s, since he came back they've gotten everything right on so many levels. i love their products and if i could afford to buy a mac pro to replace my main office/music machine, i would in a heartbeat.

but even if you are anti-mac, don't have an iphone, don't do digital music or tablets, you are reading this. based on that, i'll go ahead and guess you have a mobile phone. if it's newer than 7 years old, it was heavily influenced by the iphone. i-products and speak are all around you in the world. it's everywhere and is entire markets unto itself. i just don't see how you could say any other single person changed so much of our society in the same time period.

I'm surprised you think the HTC EVO isn't a contender to the iphone. Being the "computer" person at my previous job I had to deal with setting up people's iphones and showing them how to do things on them. I can honestly say after dealing with everything from the original iphone to the iphone 4 I'm so glad I have an android phone. Take for example something as simple as a ringtone. To make an mp3 a ringtone on an iphone, you first have to import it into itunes, then convert it to an aac file, then find the file on your drive and change the file extension, then sync your phone with itunes, then offer up a blood sacrifice to Steve Jobs and then finally select it on your phone. On an android phone you copy the mp3 over and select it. Done. You can't replace the battery on an iphone. You can't upgrade the memory. Apple maintains tight control over what apps you are allowed the privilege of running. That might sound good to prevent badly written apps from messing up your phone, but since there are many cases they've used that power to either elimiate competing apps, apps that make them look bad or just apps they just don't like (such as ones they deem might be "offensive" to some users - users who aren't forced to buy said apps) that power is abused quite a bit. Hell, the official South Park app was rejected by Apple for being offensive (which is amusing considering they sell the episodes on itunes).
Everything I've seen about apple products indicates they're so concerned about maintaining control over every aspect of the device that they make simple things overly complex or in some cases impossible. Yes, I know you can jailbreak an iphone, but why should I have to go through extra hoops to do basic things with my own phone?

TC wrote:but even if you are anti-mac, don't have an iphone, don't do digital music or tablets, you are reading this. based on that, i'll go ahead and guess you have a mobile phone. if it's newer than 7 years old, it was heavily influenced by the iphone. i-products and speak are all around you in the world. it's everywhere and is entire markets unto itself. i just don't see how you could say any other single person changed so much of our society in the same time period.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that - quite the opposite, in fact. While we all may have our gripes about Apple, there is no doubt that they have shaped the marketplace today. I said it myself earlier, I wouldn't have my Android if not for Jobs. Everything prior to the iPhone was an attempt to keep up with Nokia products. Now, if you look at things, Nokia is trailing everyone else by quite a large margin.

there are goofy things about any device. they each have their quirks. after spending years rooting phones and dicking around with custom coding/ROMs in order to make them do the things i feel like they should have done out of the box, i just don't have the energy or stamina for it anymore. for example, right now, i have a ROM on my EVO that crashes after about five minutes of playing "cut the rope", but it's the only ROM i've used in the last two years that hasn't crashed every time i get an MMS. before you say i should just run default sense and like it, the battery life SUCKS. there is no way to make this phone useable without fucking with various things to improve the battery life. like i said, at this point just give me a phone that fucking works. that is exactly the way i feel about all my other apple products - they just "work". so yeah, i'm in line for an iphone. thing is, don't think i'll be able to upgrade until next year so i'm hosed. fucking contracts.

Uh... cool? If you want to use Apple products for whatever reason, that's fine. We're all a bit above the base 12-year-old's argumentative Mac vs [Other] debates, so you don't need to explain yourself to us. To be honest, I feel similarly about Android - the aspects that I put most emphasis on "just work". I know certain things don't, and there are certain other things I enjoy having the power to tweak to within an inch of its life to get it just the way I want. The iPhone originally put me off SmartPhones because there are certain things that I didn't want to bother having to set up and tweak. Not to try and "change your mind" but, as I'm probably sure that you are aware, things have changed a bit since the Evo (as I know things have changed a lot since the original iPhone). It still runs only, what, 1.6, 2.1 at tops? But yeah, doesn't really matter what you do, the battery life still sucks. At least you can put a bigger battery in it *zing*. :v:

The battery life got much better with an update. I can let mine go for three days without charging if I don't use it at all. I have no custom roms nor have I don't any major custom settings (aside from having blutooth turned off which I don't use). I've talked on it a fair amount during the day and used its GPS a lot without ever having it die before I got home at the end of the night.
I guess I just find the android phone more friendly to use with more features and less hoops to jump through. I admit I am biased somewhat against the iphone because of the whole cult thing.
Draesk wrote:Uh... cool? If you want to use Apple products for whatever reason, that's fine. We're all a bit above the base 12-year-old's argumentative Mac vs [Other] debates, so you don't need to explain yourself to us.
Yes you do. You also seem like they type who thinks Picard is better than Kirk and a Star Destroyer could defeat the Enterprise. ;)

ok, i'm calling you. i just unrooted and installed the latest stock update. we'll see how this goes. i'm already annoyed at the lack of certain features, but if it's more stable and battery life is good, i'll just deal with it like everyone else.