Re: Boardwalk Empire

boardwalk_empire_ver2.jpg
boardwalk_empire_ver3.jpg
boardwalk_empire_ver4.jpg
boardwalk_empire_ver5.jpg
boardwalk_empire_ver6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thumbs up. We have somewhat of a Carnivale-style faceoff between a couple of antiheroes; Buscemi is the bad guy with good impulses, Pitt is the hero whose soul was sucked out by the war and is ready to trade said soul for fame and glory, the bones of a fun if not particularly original series have been laid down. Love the guy who played Babyface Nelson in Public Enemies now playing Al Capone, he's getting the choice parts fo sho.

Anymore I think Thelma's cuts are more responsible for the Scorcese touch than anything in particular he does, and the flashes of violence throughout the pilot certainly show her fingerprints; aside from that it all looks fine if not uniquely stylized considering what we all know from a visual vocabulary standpoint at this late stage of the cinematic game. Don't know who else is involved in the ongoing episodes but I'm looking forward to finding out.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

so, while i'm still a couple episodes behind, i've been watching this as much as possible and love it. i like the cast, especially buscemi, i like the setting, i think mol and pitt are great, i like that it's at least loosely based in fact, i like it all.

then today i read this: link to shitty site

not sure i understand that piece. i mean, i get that you'd like to see more depth of character or more... dense plot?.... or whatever it is you wish the show was, but it's its own show. it's not (nor does it strike me as wanting to be) the sopranos 2, deadwood 2, or mad men 2. it's boardwalk empire. and i for one am planning on not missing a single episode and am excited that we will at least get another season.

Seems the writer has two problems with the show, which are both on him and not the show. First, he wants it to be Sopranos 2. But that's not who these characters are or what this show is. The other, bigger problem, is that the writer appears to have a cliched notion of what prohibition-era gangsters should be like. I don't know if he saw too many episodes of The Untouchables as a kid or what, but apparently he wants all his gangsters to run around with tommy guns and scowl a lot. Again, wrong show. While I wouldn't say this show is outstanding, it is good and one of the few I stick with each week. He does get it right that Margaret is the best character. Damn, she played everyone this week.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

I actually got bored about 3 episodes in and haven't been back, I hear that's happening with some regularity.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Gawker wrote:Paz de la Huerta Arrested for Drunk Attack on MTV Party Girl

Paz de la Huerta—26-year-old Boardwalk Empire star and oft-nude, perma-boozed lipstick enthusiast—was arrested last night for beating up Samantha Swetra, a cast member from MTV's The City. According to Gatecrasher, a drunken Paz staggered over to Samantha's table at the Standard Hotel last night:
That's when, our first source adds, de la Huerta suddenly lost her footing and went crashing into an adjacent table.

After taking in the unexpected pratfall—which, our source adds, resulted in one of de la Huerta's breasts "hanging out of her dress"—an amused Swetra yelled out "triple axel!"

The gibe sent de la Huerta into a rage and she threw a drink glass at Swetra's leg and took a swing at the model's face, the source says.

De la Huerta's aim is apparently as good as her acting on Boardwalk Empire. According to our source, the actress' fist connected squarely with Swetra's lips and nose.

The glass, which shattered, also did some damage. "Blood was dripping down [Swetra's] leg," the source tells us. "Lindsay was pulling shards of glass off of it."

Samantha swore she would press charges, and filed a report with the NYPD this morning. Paz has yet to be formally charged with a crime.
With only the most superficial of knowledge of Paz's fiasco, I'm going with "guilty as sin" and "awesome as hell." Paz seems like the kind of a lady who would draw and quarter an MTV bimbo, then spike her blood with tequila and drink it, just because she was bored. And I mean that as a compliment.
that's pretty classic.

Anyone who smacks around an MTV personality of any stripe is OK in my book. And if that's the chick Buscemi's banging in season one, well I liked her already anyhow.

Hrm, only saw the first 3 or so episodes so I guess I mean the one who laid around naked all the time ready to fuck him in the early going.

Buscemi's character must have weilded some great power and influence to get laid once much less by multiple skirts. Gotta love it when Hollywood lets somebody that ugly play the stud.

Alexhead wrote:Buscemi's character must have weilded some great power and influence to get laid once much less by multiple skirts. Gotta love it when Hollywood lets somebody that ugly play the stud.
Not that far fetched. Money and power are good aphrodisiacs. :)
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Wife and I are planning on going back and giving this another shot before the second season fires up. Any word if Scorsese will be returning for any episodes?