The Walking Dead

new AMC series i've been hearing a ton about. except when it starts.

anyone else anxious for this?
walking_dead_xlg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The Walking Dead

I'm a little burned out on zombies but it sounds like the source material's solid and they've got some heavy hitters behind it, if you consider Frank Darbont a heavy hitter that is. He has done some of the better Stephen King adaptations, I guess. They are shooting what I believe is a 6 episode first season right now, probably to be seen in 2011.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Yeah, looks really promising. Will it be all blood and guts though? The trailer seems to be heavily censored/cut to avoid showing even a single drop. You can't really do the zombie-thing without buckets of blood...

i don't know, i kind of think that's why the zombie genre is so over-done. everyone is trying to out-gore one another and the human element, the reality of dealing with a thing such as zombies, gets lost. "implied gore" could work very well for this.

I agree with you that many films just go for the blood and not the socio-political and/or human element of the zombie apocalypse.

But...

The blood and guts do serve a purpose, if done in that way. See for instance all of the "all you can eat" scenes from Dawn of the Dead,

oh i totally agree, believe me - i'm a blood & guts fan. just saying, i understand why maybe going a different direction could work better at this time in the zombie film timeline. extreme has been done to death, time to go back to the beginning?

I'm sure there will be plenty of blood and guts. And if not, it doesn't really matter to me. Makeup jobs look very good, and that zombie with no legs crawling on the lawn, that doesn't need a bunch of bright red paint splattered all over to look cool.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

So, you guys watch this? Good stuff for basic cable, a few plot holes here and there but overall very solid. Looking forward to Season 2 in October, long wait that that is.

yeah, watched like five episodes in a row two weeks ago, watched the finale last night. i like it. a lot. i think waiting another year for another short season is a huge mistake. the sopranos got away with it, but they were pretty well established by then...

oh, and i have one question:
WHAT THE FUCK DID THE DOCTOR SAY TO HIM?!?!?!?!?!?!?

that's going to drive me nuts for the next 10 months.

The next season will be a full 12 or 13 episode order, FYI. And yes, everyone will be waiting to see what was said.

Yeah, a variety of writers left the show, depending on who you ask they were either poached for other shows or fired for not living up to snuff. Truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

TC, speculation (which makes perfects sense) is that the good doctor told the sherriff that
based on the blood tests he made them all take when they show up, he discovered that the sherriff's wife is preggers.

I liked the show a lot, so I started reading the comic it is based on. I love it. After the 1st episode, the tv series completely changes away. As long as the show keeps a few key elements and characters, and the overall depressing, bleak tone of the comic, it could be one of my favorites ever. The comic is already my favorite ever. Also being my first. :D
There are no stupid questions. Just stupid people.

Me and the missus (we're both Zombie lovers... well, at least I am) have gone through the first four episodes now and I must say that I'm somewhat impressed. Didn't expect such solid writing, you can tell the people behind the show have been around for a while (Darabont, Gale Ann Heard etc). It's got just the right amount of blow-your-own-brains-out depression mixed with some extremely gory scenes and dark humor. Loving it.