Avengers mega-thread

Rumor first broke on April 1 so it was assumed to be a joke. By the number of sources now stating it's all but a done deal, I guess it's serious. All fandom aside, I think it's a good hire. They have somebody who does ensemble genre stuff well, and they're (somewhat) following the John Favreau model on Iron Man--total hit across a variety of audiences because it was clever/funny/likeable, even though at the end of the day it's probably the most action-lite of all comic book adaptations.
Last edited by TC on 07/12/18, 07:17:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: combined all avengers threads i could find
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Re: Whedon to direct The Avengers

Fo sho. I think he can pull it off brilliantly, but he's also more than capable of coming up with a mess depending on studio meddling and cast issues. They still haven't figured out if Norton's coming back to play Bruce Banner, he was NOT happy with Incredible Hulk but supposedly the main guy at Marvel Studios he clashed with over the editing has been sacked, so that could help. Will also be very, very interesting to see what hand Joss is dealt by the Captain America and Thor movies (he does know the guy playing Thor as he's also one of the leads in Cabin in the Woods).
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

While I'm normally a fan of all things Whedon, I will say that I didn't care for his X-men comic run too much. But then I didn't care for his Buffy season 8 comic either. So maybe it's just that he can't do comics well and Avengers will be great. Guess we'll find out.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

According to a brief interview with Samuel Jackson yesterday, the Avengers is going to be "his" movie and he's looking forward to working with Joss. Glad nobody's told him about Joss' propensity to cast black men as bad guys 8)

Well it sounds like we'll finally get an official announcement at ComicCon on this hire. In other news, shit completely broke down between Norton and Marvel Studios, so they will be re-casting Bruce Banner. A rumored replacement is seemingly off-the-deep-end Joaqin Phoenix...

http://chud.com/articles/articles/24388 ... Page1.html

Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner? Seriously? I wish they'd stuck with Norton. Or even Bana. Oh, and Whedon was officially announced.
YahooNews wrote:Samuel L. Jackson announces 'Avengers' cast

SAN DIEGO – Comic book fans no longer have to imagine what it might be like to see all their favorite superheroes in one place.

They got the chance Saturday at Comic-Con, when the cast of the forthcoming "Avengers" film took the stage. Samuel L. Jackson surprised some 6,000 fans gathered for a Marvel Studios presentation when he stepped out just as it was ending and started introducing the cast of "The Avengers."

Jackson brought out stars Clark Gregg, Scarlett Johannson, Chris Hemsworth of "Thor" and Chris Evans of "Captain America."

He then introduced another surprise guest, Robert Downey Jr., who brought out the rest of the all-star cast, including Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye and Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner.

"The Avengers" is based on the comic book series of the same name, which brings various Marvel superheroes together. The film is due in 2012.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

io9 wrote:Full Avengers cast assembles on stage at Comic-Con
hr_the_avengers_1[1].jpg
It was a great way to end an exciting day at Comic-Con: The full cast of Avengers, on stage, with newly-anointed director Joss Whedon. So who is in this picture?

The full roll call (via Cinematical):

Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury
Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark
Clark Gregg as Agent Coulson
Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow
Chris Hemsworth as Thor
Chris Evans as Captain America
Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye
Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner / Incredible Hulk

Robert Downey Jr. invited director Joss Whedon to the stage, saying, "We knew we had to find a director you'd love." And being his usual self-depreciating self, Whedon said:
I have had a dream all my life and it was not this good . . . This cast is more than I could have ever hoped for. And I am going to blow it. So I need your love; I need your support.
When the crowd went nuts, he said, "Oh thank you."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joss Whedon explained in a recent interview why he wanted Jeremy Renner for Hawkeye and Marc Ruffalo to take over as Bruce Banner:

"The thing about Hawkeye, he's got his bows and arrows, you need somebody who's very very down to earth, who's very grounded, and who's going to be the kind of guy who, you see him, and you understand why he likes to be far away from things and then shoot at them. [With] Jeremy, he just has a lovely quality."

"I'm stunned that we landed [Marc Ruffalo], just stunned. He has what I remember loving about the show, that quality of, you just look at him and you go through it with him, he invites you in in a way that [no] other performer has since Bill Bixby. He is a guy who's been beaten up by life, but not defined by that. That's what I want from Bruce Banner, is a guy who's still getting it done, even though he has his problem."

I think Renner's spot on for Hawkeye after his work in the Hurt Locker, great casting. I really like Ruffalo as Banner, too. Given his pedigree with female action stars, Joss has to be able to do something more interesting with Black Widown than what we've seen before.

TC, I know you haven't watched it yet but I implore you at some point in the next year to pick up the Firefly DVD set, watch the episodes, then watch Serenity. I think you'll see why Joss is a great pick to manage an ensemble ass-kickers project like this after all that (oh, and it's one of the best shows of all time).

Possible major spoilage for The Avengers!

For quite some time no one really knew who "The Avengers" would fight in the upcoming 2012 movie that Joss Whedon is directing. There were stories that the HULK would be the villain and even in 2009 we reported that Kevin Feige sort of hinted that the Skrulls might be the villains.

Feige went as far as saying the following:

In my opinion, The Skrulls are really the only viable threat that would require so many super heroes to fight as a team. Sure, you could have The Hulk as a villain in the beginning, but then they have to come together for an even bigger threat. Something hinted about in IM2, Thor and Cap by Nick Fury's presence. Plus Fox doesn't have the rights to The Skrulls, only the Super Skrull. But this is just my inner geek thinking out loud and hoping.

Well Marvel geek nerds, today I have some juicy news to tell you, a few hours ago I was talking to my reliable inside sources who have confirmed with me who the villain is and much more.

There was some stories that the Skrulls were in the movie BUT of course the powers that be denied it as usual.

Some spoilers are coming up so be warned!

You still here?

OKAY you have been warned.

The main villain for The Avengers is none other than Thor's adoptive brother and archenemy LOKI!

Tom Hiddleston will portray Loki in the upcoming live-action Marvel Studios film "Thor" directed by Kenneth Branagh.

But that's not all, Loki needs some serious muscle to go up against "The Avengers" and he does this by using the cosmic cube seen in "Captain America: The First Avenger" and also seen in the screen capture I took of the "Thor" Comic-Con trailer. Loki uses the cube to get a hold of the Aliens (aka The Skrulls) to invade Earth and fight "The Avengers." Skrulls are green-skinned reptilian humanoids with large pointed ears, red or green eyes, and corrugated chins.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclus ... gers-12782

Caped Boy: Excuse me, ladies. You may remember me as the guy who came to dinner a few weeks ago with underwear on my head. My name is Keith Stat from Millburn, New Jersey. State bird, the mosquito. And as you may have heard, I am recently a crowned class B dungeon master. So if any of you would like to play D&D today, please speak now or forever hold your peace.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Hiddleston made some noises at a convention like he wasn't involved, but I don't think they were too convincing. Now it sounds like Staarsgard AND Portman will be in the Avengers as well, which I would think bolsters the idea that Loki's there too.

The after-the-credits clip for Thor would tend to bolster above spoilerage:

“We see Dr. Selvig (Stellan Skarsgård) meeting with Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson), who is standing in front of a table with a large metal case on it.

They discuss the latest discoveries that Selvig and his team have made in relation to alternate universes and Fury asks for his advice in regards to the contents of the case: the Tesseract/Cosmic Cube. When Selvig asks what is it, Fury responds that it is a source of immense power. The camera pans back to Selvig, and a reflection reveals that Loki (Tom Hiddleston) is in fact now possessing Selvig.

Loki/Selvig responds, ‘That’s very interesting…’”

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/descri ... thor-13275