Re: Watchmen

let's see, i have all 12 original pressings of the series, a limited edition pin set, a couple posters, and a t-shirt, all of which i bought new when they first came out 20+ years ago

top that. ;)

TC wrote:let's see, i have all 12 original pressings of the series, a limited edition pin set, a couple posters, and a t-shirt, all of which i bought new when they first came out 20+ years ago
top that. ;)
I have Alan Moore in my vault. ;)
Just cut them up like regular chickens

darkness wrote:I have Alan Moore in my vault. ;)
Ooh, make him watch the movie Clockwork Orange style.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

I always wondered if QT kept his promise to never watch Stone's NBK, a protest I always thought was kind of stupid.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

hm, i guess not everyone liked it:
KMTR wrote:Man shoots himself during "Watchmen" movie

A man shot himself to death in a Eugene movie theater just after midnight Monday morning.

Police say about 10 patrons were in an auditorium at Regal Cinemas watching the movie “Watchmen.” About midway through the film some of the moviegoers told the manager they heard a “popping” noise like a gunshot. A 24-year-old man was found in the rear of the auditorium with a gunshot wound to the head.

Police say the man shot himself and was dead when they arrived.

The patron closest to the man was sitting two rows away.

I was going to go see this today, but it's not playing anywhere here anymore. Dallas-Fort Worth is the fourth largest market in the country. There are films still playing here that are out on dvd now. It must have had one hell of a box office free-fall to be pulled that fast. Ouch. It's not even at any of the dollar theaters.
Looks like Hannah Montana is in my future now instead.

I saw it in its second week, on a Sunday evening, in a largely empty auditorium at the biggest multiplex in central Arkansas. Today, it's only playing in one location — a cheapie, rundown joint in midtown LR. I kept reading that all the fanboys checked it out in its opening weekend, so it's probably true.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

THR wrote:Date set for 'Watchmen' mediation
Warner Bros., Larry Gordon will meet in court in May

Warner Bros. and producer Larry Gordon have set a date to figure out who's responsible for the legal fracas that led to Fox owning a piece of "Watchmen." But given the pic's lackluster boxoffice performance, there might not be much loot to fight over.

Attorneys for the two sides have agreed to meet May 13 in a confidential, nonbinding mediation before showbiz mediator Daniel Weinstein. At issue is how much, if anything, Gordon owes Warners after a judge ruled that Fox -- which initially developed the property with Gordon -- owned a distribution right to the superhero pic.

Heated chain-of-title litigation between Fox and Warners ended in a January settlement that gave Fox a cash payment and up to 8.5% of the film's proceeds, depending on how well it did. The $138 million-budgeted pic has grossed $180 million worldwide after a heavy marketing campaign.

While Warners certainly isn't celebrating the weak boxoffice haul, one bright spot is that the studio likely will owe Fox only about 5% of the film's proceeds, according to multiple sources familiar with the settlement.

Who ends up actually paying Fox, however, is yet to be hashed out.

Warners, who will be repped at the mediation by attorney Steven Marenberg, is said to be seeking a full reimbursement from Gordon for failing to secure proper rights to "Watchmen" from Fox before setting it up at Warners.

Gordon's attorneys, led by Dale Kinsella, likely will counter that he is blameless because Warners was on notice of Fox's claims on the property and decided to go ahead with the pic anyway.

Gordon also has argued that his transactional attorneys at Jake Bloom's law firm are in part at fault for the chain-of-title issue. During the Warners-Fox litigation, Gordon's attorney admitted that he negotiated the producer's 1994 separation from Fox without knowing about a 1991 agreement on which Fox based its lawsuit.

The Bloom firm is said to have a $15 million insurance policy that both Warners and Gordon likely will seek to tap for the settlement. Given the film's performance -- and the fact that sequels and derivative works are likely dead -- that amount could cover everything that will be owed to Fox. Some believe, however, that a global settlement will require Warners, Gordon and his attorneys all to contribute.

Considering "Watchmen" has not turned into the global franchise many thought it might, the stakes are certainly lower.

Why the fiddly-fuck did anyone ever think Watchmen would become a 'global franchise?' Did anybody at the studio actually read the thing before they put it into production? Guess signing all the actors up for the sequel was a bit premature...heh.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:Why the fiddly-fuck did anyone ever think Watchmen would become a 'global franchise?' Did anybody at the studio actually read the thing before they put it into production? Guess signing all the actors up for the sequel was a bit premature...heh.
Of course they assumed it would be a franchise. That's the only reason studios make comic adaption films. They're constantly searching for the next Batman. Remember, to a studio exec, all comic movies are the same. Just as all romanic comedies are the same, all sci-fi films are the same, etc.

O-dot wrote:I saw it in its second week, on a Sunday evening, in a largely empty auditorium at the biggest multiplex in central Arkansas. Today, it's only playing in one location — a cheapie, rundown joint in midtown LR. I kept reading that all the fanboys checked it out in its opening weekend, so it's probably true.
well? i went back and merged all the threads on it we had and i guess you're the only one of us that saw it. i feel bad, but i wanted to wait for the inevitable director's cut to see "his complete vision".

TC wrote:well? i went back and merged all the threads on it we had and i guess you're the only one of us that saw it. i feel bad, but i wanted to wait for the inevitable director's cut to see "his complete vision".
On March 14th, Storm13 wrote:No real review.

Damn fine movie though. A little too much naked schlong throughout the movie for my likings.
Are you propositioning me? I taste like candy and you want the recipe?

Re: [Movie] The Watchmen

_Marcus_ wrote:Anyone seen the Directors Cut?
It doesn't come out till the 21st. But I have it pre-ordered so I'll let you know once I watch it. I'm sure reviews will start hitting next week.

Re: [Movie] The Watchmen

And in the interest of milking it for every last dollar, Watchmen diehards now have to buy two disc sets:
blu-ray.com wrote:First Details of Watchmen Ultimate Edition BD Emerge
Posted July 9, 2009 05:51 AM by Juan Calonge

Early copies of the 'Watchmen: Director's Cut' Blu-ray are surfacing, and the release contains a flier with some early details of the Ultimate Collector's Edition of the movie. It will be released in December and will only be available through June 2010. Over two hours of bonus content will be included.

The movie version in this edition will be the director's cut, augmented with the animated comic 'Tales of the Black Freighter' woven into the narrative. The total length of the cut is not known yet; the theatrical cut was 162 minutes long, whereas the director's cut featured in the first-edition Blu-ray is 186 minutes long. As we reported, Paramount is releasing the theatrical cut in the UK.

The special features will also include the mockumentary 'Under the Hood' (already released as a companion to 'Tales of the Black Freighter') and 'Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comic'.

The Ultimate Collector's Edition will not include most of the special features available on the upcoming Director's Cut, such as the "walk-on" Maximum Movie Mode. However, it will include a new audio commentary with Snyder and artist Dave Gibbons. For a list of the special features on the Director's Cut, see our post of May 12.

Warner is offering a $10 coupon for the Ultimate Collector's Edition to registered members of its Insider Rewards program as of December 1.