Jodorowsky's Dune

OK, maybe I missed this link on Lynchnet long ago or whatnot, but a quick search on Alan Smithee brought up (of course) the wikipedia for Dune, and while I knew his name was once briefly attached, I'd never heard this before--jesus, the names involved:
In December 1974, a French consortium led by Jean-Paul Gibon purchased the rights to the movie from APJ. The director this time would be Alejandro Jodorowsky.

In 1975, Jodorowsky tried to film the story as a ten hour feature, in collaboration with Orson Welles, Dan O'Bannon, Salvador Dalí, Gloria Swanson, Hervé Villechaize and others (nicknamed by him as "his seven samurais"). The music would have been done by Pink Floyd. Jodorowsky set up a pre-production unit in Paris that consisted of Chris Foss, a British artist who designed covers for science fiction periodicals, Jean Giraud (Moebius), a French illustrator who created and also wrote and drew for Metal Hurlant magazine, and H. R. Giger. Moebius began designing creatures and characters for the film, while Foss was brought in to design the film's space ships and hardware. Giger started designing the Harkonnen Castle based on Moebius' storyboards and Dali was to play the role of the Emperor for a reported $100,000 an hour. Jodorowsky also hired Dan O'Bannon to head the special effects department. Dali and Jodorowsky began quarreling over money and just as the storyboards, designs, and the script were finished, the financial backing dried up. Frank Herbert travelled to Europe in 1976 to find that two million dollars of the 9.5 million budget were already spent in pre-production and that the Jodorowsky's script would result in a 14-hour movie ("It was the size of a phonebook" Herbert recalled). Although Jodorowsky took several creative liberties with his novel, Herbert stated that he and Jodorowsky had an amicable relationship.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Re: Jodorowsky's Dune

There's a whole doc about it on one of the Dune dvds. It probably had a brief mention at Lynchnet, but of course it's Lynchnet and not Jodorowskynet or Dunenet, so if it doesn't have to do with Lynch I really didn't care about it.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

This project was too perfectly staffed to exist in the real world, naturally it had to implode. Who knew that Dali could act?
Ride me a worm, you're a rider...
Walk without rhythm and you're a strider of deserts...

finally saw this yesterday. goddamn was it good. some of the changes he made to the story are batshit crazy but would have made for an amazing film. as PZ said above, just too perfect of a team assembled to exist in the real world. of course, the fact that jodorowsky pulled all these people together and spent over 2 years prepping for this film led directly to so many other films where these guys worked together. the DNA of this project is all over modern sci-fi. now i want to see other jodorowsky films.