So TC, Testament

Like 'em? Hate 'em?

I'm listening to "The Gathering" featuring good ol' Dave Lombardo on zee drums. Quite nice, if ya ask me.

:killer:
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

lombardo plays on that, eh? i'll have to check it out. last thing i heard him do was the fantomas, which is great.

as far as testament, i liked the first album, and i thought the next couple were ok. a few songs like 'disciples of the watch' are just great songs. but i became disinterested when they started havening ballads on the radio. never paid any attention. i downloaded a couple tracks off that 'low' with james murphy to check out, and it's nothing i'm rushing out to buy, but i'm glad they were getting back within a concorde's flight of their original heaviness at least.

so, this one is good?

so, this one is good?
I like it. Can burn ya a copy if you want.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

sure, sounds cool. here's a bit of testament news for you:
The kings of Bay Area Thrash are back in action! Testament will be headlining the Metal Zone stage at the upcoming Bone Bash III on November 2 in Concord, CA and have extensive European tour plans in place for early 2003. New material is currently being composed and we can expect the long-awaited new studio album to arrive in the spring of 2003.
source: blackmetal.com

TC wrote:sure, sounds cool. here's a bit of testament news for you:
The kings of Bay Area Thrash are back in action! Testament will be headlining the Metal Zone stage at the upcoming Bone Bash III on November 2 in Concord, CA and have extensive European tour plans in place for early 2003. New material is currently being composed and we can expect the long-awaited new studio album to arrive in the spring of 2003.
source: blackmetal.com
No word yet on this studio album -- and if it's anything like Demonic and The Gathering, it can't come out soon enough -- but Testament's making the rounds with Halford this spring. There's a show I wouldn't mind seeing.

Hah, read a Chuck Billy interview a while ago in which he's asked which band he'd like to tour with. He says, "Well, every time I see James Hetfield, I keep asking him when is Testament gonna open up for them? He never really gives me an answer."

Because Hetfield knows Testament would blow McTallica off the stage night after night...

Holy cow, there's an actual release date for this thing:
TESTAMENT: New Album Release Date Announced - Dec. 7, 2007
Veteran San Francisco Bay Area thrashers TESTAMENT will release their new album, "The Formation of Damnation", in North America on April 29, 2008 via Nuclear Blast Records.

The band is currently recording the effort with producer Andy Sneap (MACHINE HEAD, EXODUS, ARCH ENEMY, NEVERMORE) at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley, California.

TESTAMENT recently recruited Paul Bostaph (SLAYER, EXODUS, FORBIDDEN, SYSTEMATIC) to play the drums on new CD. The group was previously rehearsing and writing new material with British drummer Nick Barker (CRADLE OF FILTH, DIMMU BORGIR), but Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and international work visa issues have prevented Barker from continuing to be involved in the project. ...

TESTAMENT's current lineup is rounded out by Chuck Billy on vocals, Eric Peterson on rhythm guitar, Alex Skolnick on lead guitar and Greg Christian on bass.

a couple of things suck about this already:

1) Nik Barker is no longer playing on it. I was very interested to hear how he would do in a band like this;
2) Bostoph committed to this prior to the announcement of the Forbidden reunion, so he is not going to play in that, which would be far more epic with him in it.

but, i am still curious.

and yes, the gathering is a damn fine album.

O-dot wrote:
Because Hetfield knows Testament would blow McTallica off the stage night after night...
When's the last time metallica actually toured? With actual metal bands as support? I'm no huge Testament fan (though I really, really like "New Order"), but it's like comparing Apples and a pile of shit.
Ride me a worm, you're a rider...
Walk without rhythm and you're a strider of deserts...

PZ wrote:When's the last time metallica actually toured? With actual metal bands as support?
Metallica played some dates this summer. Festival appearances mostly, I think. Godsmack was the opener on the 2004 tour.

Bostaph is a great drummer, he killed on the next-to-last Exodus album. Forbidden is OK, I prefer Testament.

TC wrote:2) Bostoph committed to this prior to the announcement of the Forbidden reunion, so he is not going to play in that, which would be far more epic with him in it.
Mebbe, but now Hoglan will be doing the Forbidden gig. :wink:

Some news in recent weeks, here's the new cover art:
And Blabbermouth reported:
TESTAMENT: 'The Formation Of Damnation' Cover Artwork, Track Listing Revealed - Feb. 19, 2008
BLABBERMOUTH.NET can reveal the cover artwork (by Eliran Kantor) and track listing of TESTAMENT's forthcoming album, "The Formation of Damnation", due in North America on April 29 via Nuclear Blast Records.

The band recorded the effort in part with producer Andy Sneap (MACHINE HEAD, EXODUS, ARCH ENEMY, NEVERMORE) at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley, California.

"The Formation of Damnation" track listing:

01. For The Glory Of
02. More Than Meets The Eye
03. The Evil Has Landed
04. Formation Of Damnation
05. Dangers of The Faithless
06. The Persecuted Won't Forget
07. Henchman
08. Killing Season
09. Afterlife
10. F.E.A.R.
11. Leave Me Forever

Re: So TC, Testament

New song here. Skolnick's definitely back... Hardly any remaining traces of the sound from Gathering or Demonic. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I can hear some screaming "sellout," "lame" or "ghey" already.

Re: So TC, Testament

Link doesn't work now...

It's a throwback to the Skolnick era, that's for sure. Whether that's a good thing will depend on the listener. Personally, I'd rather they'd progressed from The Gathering, but that band doesn't exist anymore.