myname.com already taken...

How can I find the owner of someone who has already registered myname.com? Like as in, my realname.com? Seems my full name is already taken, but my full name on Google listings only show me and not someone else with my name doing anything substantial. And when I type in my name.com, it only shows ads.

Thanks TC. It's a company in California that registered it. TWO DAYS before I was going to. I sent them an e-mail, telling them it's my real name and the first SIX pages of Google hits are all in reference to me. Let's hope it's going to be resolvable.

Damn.

Be very careful here. If the domain is in the hand of squatters, you will likely find them attempting to charge you an exorbitant fee, or even just flat out trying to scam you. First try the "search through deleted domains" option at the link TC gave.

Mr. Brown wrote:That's what it said when I filled in the name.

It's really weird, two days ago it was registered.
If you're getting that from the "deleted domains" query, that's okay. It was just a shot in the dark really. What is the domain? (You could send me a PM if you don't want it posted publicly)

These are the mudda's that did it.
Registrant:
MetaPredict
87 East Green Street
Suite 305
Pasadena, California 91105
United States

Domain Name: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.com
Created on: 2007-12-24 13:11:32
Expires on: 2008-12-24 13:11:32

Administrative Contact:
Administrator, Domain domain@anondns.org
MetaPredict
87 East Green Street
Suite 305
United States
(626) 796-1004 Fax -- (626) 744-7749

Technical Contact:
Administrator, Domain domain@anondns.org
MetaPredict
87 East Green Street
Suite 305
United States
(626) 796-1004 Fax -- (626) 744-7749

Domain servers in listed order:
SK.S1.NS1.NS180.CNOMY.COM
SK.S1.NS2.NS180.CNOMY.COM

Motherfuckers... I KNEW it was something crazy like this. Because I had searched for my domain name to see if it was available earlier, suddenly later it was taken. Long story short, sometimes they let go of the domain after 5 days. Now let's hope they still do, even after I had written them an email stating I was a budding artists looking to make a portfolio online for myself, using my own name as the domain.

Check this page for similair stories with the SAME company that stole my name: http://pocketseo.com/domains/7

Oh hey UltraRPM. Well, yeah, that email has probably lowered your chances significantly. Your options are quite limited at this stage.

1) Buy your domain name with an alternate TLD (ie: .net). I recommend DomainMaze (a reseller of Enom that is run by an associate of ours) - it'll be fairly cheap. Don't go looking for an alternate TLD, planning to buy it later. Make sure that when you go searching for the domain that you are ready to buy it there and then. Owning the alternate TLD will mean that if you cannot get the .com TLD for your domain name, you will at least still have something to go on.

2) Beyond the above, try and ignore this for the next 5 days. Don't go doing any further searches for the domain or your own name on Google. Once the 5 days is up, try and register the .com domain straight away - the same goes for timing here as in tip #1. If that fails, try the deleted domains registry on whois.net (or google for an alternative to whois.net). If this fails, you will have to fall back entirely on #1. You could try submitting a complaint to ICANN, but you'd be as well submitting a formal complaint to Sudan about Darfur.

Unfortunately, they now know that you are interested in the domain and a Google search will prove that there's some traffic to be had from it.

ICANN's 5-day taster registration is the dumbest fucking idea ever. It wouldn't surprise me if they were getting kickbacks for this. :roll:

Hey Von,

thanks for the information. I have done some research about it and I absolutely feel like an idiot for emailing them, as if they were some normal registry company. It's just that I have never heard of something like this.

Worst case scenario I might get a .net, but I will let it lie for a week or so and then just buy it a.s.a.p.

Well, at least you're that bit more experienced now! ;-)

Leaving it well alone for a week is indeed a good idea though. Best of luck to you. :)