new Trek film - meet your new Kirk & Bones

CNN wrote: 'Trek' film casts its Kirk and McCoy

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The bridge of the starship Enterprise is filling up.

Chris Pine has landed the role of Capt. Kirk in the new "Star Trek" movie.

Chris Pine, who had been in talks to join the cast of J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek" flick, will play the young James Kirk, while Karl Urban will take on the role of Dr. Leonard McCoy, distributor Paramount confirmed Thursday.

They join previously announced cast members Zachary Quinto as Vulcan scientist Spock, Simon Pegg as engineer Scotty, John Cho as helmsman Sulu, Zoe Saldana as communications officer Uhura and Anton Yelchin as navigator Chekov.

Leonard Nimoy, who played Enterprise science officer Spock in the 1960s TV series and six "Star Trek" feature films, also will appear as an older version of the Vulcan.

Eric Bana, the star of Steven Spielberg's "Munich" and Ang Lee's "Hulk," is playing a villain in the "Trek" film, which begins shooting in November and is due out in December 2008.

Abrams, creator of "Lost" and director of "Mission: Impossible III," is keeping the plot secret for the film that follows the early days of the "Star Trek" crew, which was led by William Shatner as the bold Capt. Kirk.

Pine's credits include the movies "Smokin' Aces" and "Just My Luck," while Urban appeared in two of the "The Lord of the Rings" movies and "The Bourne Supremacy."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Another addition--cool plotwise, seems o.k. casting-wise:
By Borys Kit and Carly Mayberry
Thu Nov 8, 1:53 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Bruce Greenwood has been cast as Christopher Pike, the Starship Enterprise's first captain, in director J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek" feature.

The character of Capt. Pike, played by Jeffrey Hunter, appeared in the original unaired 1966 pilot that Gene Roddenberry created. The pilot was rejected by CBS and then shown to NBC, which turned it down, though it liked the concept enough to commission a second pilot. (Only the character of Spock survived the redevelopment.)

Pike was later weaved back into Star Trek lore as the ship's first captain and appeared in a two-part episode.

Production is underway on the Paramount Pictures project. It is understood that the movie chronicles the early days of the Enterprise crew.

Greenwood plays two roles in Todd Haynes' Bob Dylan-inspired movie "I'm Not There," and appears in "National Treasure: Book of Secrets," which opens December 21.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071108/film_nm/startrek_dc
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Bruce Greenwood has been cast as Christopher Pike, the Starship Enterprise's first captain, in director J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek" feature.
I realize the fact that I have his knowledge makes me a geek, but Robert April was the first captain of the Enterprise. Pike was second.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Here comes some more casting news:

Ryder To Play Spock's Mother

Hollywood actress Winona Ryder has signed up to star in the new Star Trek movie - as the mother of Mr. Spock. The Heathers star will join Chris Pine as Captain Kirk, British funnyman Simon Pegg as Scotty and Heroes actor Zachary Quinto as Spock for the 11th big screen outing of the cult TV show. It remains to be seen if Ryder will be playing the Vulcan mother of Spock, as initially reported by Variety. According to Star Trek lore, Spock's mother was human, played by Jane Wyatt in the original series and in one of the feature films. Directed by JJ Abrams, the film will focus on the early journey of the original Enterprise crew and is due for release in December next year.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Gee, didn't think she was that old...
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

First production pic of the ship...guess there's a small teaser before Cloverfield...

What the hell are they doing on the Enterprise? I thought this took place well before the series.

yeah, i'm totally confused as to the plotline of this film. it says that the film follows the early days of the crew led by JTK. but then it also says that nimoy plays an older version of spock. those two things can't co-exist. i'm so confused.

either way, that tiny, dark, scaffold-filled web picture sure looks nifty. big tease there. :roll:

All things are possible in sci-fi. Unless of course you're a sci-fi geek, in which case everything is contradictory, doesn't play by the original rules laid out and is not as good as the original anyway. Or something. :twisted:

I think I heard somewhere that time travel is involved and old Spock has to go back and fix something from around the time of the younger characters. That still doesn't explain the Enterprise though. My guess is that it was being built around the time this takes place and they thew in a shot just to give Trek fanboys their jollies from seeing the ship.
Alexhead wrote:All things are possible in sci-fi. Unless of course you're a sci-fi geek, in which case everything is contradictory, doesn't play by the original rules laid out and is not as good as the original anyway. Or something. :twisted:
This thread is about Star Trek, not the Sarah Connor Chronicles. :)

Again, sounds like this is a shot from the very cool-sounding teaser running before Cloverfield, and yeah, they're just building the ship in it, not zipping around shooting Klingons in it or anything.

Re: new Trek film - meet your new Kirk & Bones

Simon Pegg (Scotty--good casting) interview from AICN:
Quint: So I have to ask, can you give me a little taste of Scotty?

Simon Pegg: I can not… even for you.
Quint: Even for me?
Simon Pegg: If it was for anybody, it would be for you, but I’ve got to be careful not to do a Scottish accent anywhere now, because people will just assume it’s Scotty. My wife, obviously as I’ve made known, is Scottish and I have a large Scottish family up in Glasgow, so it’s not like I’m just some English imposter, I do have some connection to the country and I’ve used it.

Also the first AD, Tommy Gormley, on STAR TREK and also MISSION IMPOSSIBLE, is a real dyed in the wool Glaswegian and so having him on set was great, because if my wife wasn’t there, I could defer to Tommy and say “What do you think of this? Is this phrasing right?”

One thing I didn’t want to do is an impression of James Doohan, because I wouldn’t want anyone to think I was making fun of him, you know? If I started doing an impersonation of the actor that played Scotty, that would be doing the part and the actor a disservice, so my intention was to take it as James did when he first picked up the script, and just say “Okay, he’s a physics genius, he’s an engineer, he’s from Scotland…” and approach the character like that and to have my interpretation of it.

Quint: Can you tell me how big of a role Scotty plays in the thing? Is it a significant part?

Simon Pegg: Yeah, and there is very little I can say, because there is a Paramount sniper trained on the back of my head as I speak. He’s on a building and I’m not going to look, because he will know I know he is there, but I worked on the film for five weeks basically, so take from that what you will. The rough and tumble chirpy engineer from Linlithgow is very much in the film.
Quint: Since you have a bigger part in this than you did in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE, was there any noticeable difference in how Abrams worked with you?
Simon Pegg: JJ is such a machine, you know? He has got so much energy and enthusiasm and he absolutely loves what he is doing and I think that the key thing that the STAR TREK fans out there, of which I am one, but even the more dedicated ones even, the key thing that they have to remember is the one person that I’m sure they would want to make the next STAR TREK film would be a STAR TREK fan and JJ is most certainly that.

He’s not making this because it’s a business opportunity or it’s a script that landed on his door step. This is something he really, really loves and wants to do and I can’t think of a better person to be at the helm of this project and that’s always reflected in his attitude on set. He is just an absolute… he’s a pitbull. He really is. He’s on it all of the time and kind of… you know there are people on a set to verify things so that nothing is overlooked… nothing out of the universe, because people are always going to be looking for that kind of stuff for whatever weird reason. In some respects there is an odd sense out there that people kind of want it to not be very good to justify that the odds are kind of reluctant that it even exists, but I just think that being a fan of the show and having seen it up close, I’m fucking excited and I’m in it.

Quint: So he’s not “prequeling” it. He’s not going to crush the dreams and hopes of the fans?
Simon Pegg: Absolutely not and what is so exciting is what we are going to see is a STAR TREK movie with contemporary special effects in it. With the special effects that we are seeing now in cinema, that’s going to be applied to STAR TREK. ILM and these companies that can do amazing stuff… It’s going to be fantastic and we are going to see this universe realized more keenly than it ever has been before.