If you want, main point for now is to keep this thread on topic. ;-)

I wouldn't worry about it too much, you guys are all a-ok. Stupid stalker joker person or whatever will just get themselves a ban if they try to shit in my friends' back-yard.

CNN wrote:'Sopranos' creator: What did fans expect?

NEW YORK (AP) -- Just when we had made our peace with "The Sopranos" finale and moved on with our lives, David Chase has stirred things up again.
Sopranos

"The Sopranos" famously ended with Tony Soprano and family at a diner before cutting to black.

Breaking his silence months after the HBO mob drama ended its run, he is offering a belated explanation for that blackout at the restaurant. He strongly suggests that, no, Tony Soprano didn't get whacked moments later as he munched onion rings with his family at Holsten's. And mostly Chase wonders why so many viewers got so worked up over the series' non-finish.

"There WAS a war going on that week, and attempted terror attacks in London," says Chase. "But these people were talking about onion rings."

The interview, included in "'The Sopranos': The Complete Book," published this week, finds Chase exasperated by viewers who were upset that Tony didn't meet explicit doom.

Chase says the New Jersey mob boss "had been people's alter ego. They had gleefully watched him rob, kill, pillage, lie and cheat. They had cheered him on. And then, all of a sudden, they wanted to see him punished for all that. They wanted 'justice' ...

"The pathetic thing -- to me -- was how much they wanted HIS blood, after cheering him on for eight years."

In the days, and even weeks, after the finale aired June 10, "Sopranos" wonks combed that episode for buried clues, concocting wild theories. (Was this some sort of "Last Supper" reimagined with Tony, wife Carmela, son A.J. and daughter Meadow?)

Chase insists that what you saw (and didn't see) is what you get.

"There are no esoteric clues in there. No 'Da Vinci Code,' " he declares.

He says it's "just great" if fans tried to find a deeper meaning, but "most of them, most of us, should have done this kind of thing in high school English class and didn't."

He defends the bleak, seemingly inconclusive ending as appropriate -- and even a little hopeful.

A.J. will "probably be a low-level movie producer. But he's not going to be a killer like his father, is he? Meadow may not become a pediatrician or even a lawyer ... but she'll learn to operate in the world in ways that Carmela never did.

"It's not ideal. It's not what the parents dreamed of. But it's better than it was," Chase says.

And as for that notorious blackout in the middle of the Journey power ballad, "Don't Stop Believin"'?

"Originally, I didn't want any credits at all," says Chase. "I just wanted the black screen to go the length of the credits -- all the way to the HBO 'whoosh' sound. But the Directors Guild wouldn't give us a waiver."

And while this unexpected finish left lots of viewers thinking their cable service was on the fritz, Chase insists it wasn't meant as a prank.

"Why would we want to do that?" he asks. "Why would we entertain people for eight years only to give them the finger?"

I don't see a denial of Tony's death in there...
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:I don't see a denial of Tony's death in there...
I just see a load of disingenuous bullshit....of course that final scene was carefully constructed and loaded with clues or red herrings..of course we are meant to think Tony is about to get whacked, whether in the end he does or not (I think he did, but I've read strong arguments that he didn't). Chase is talking shit...
http://www.vectortrio.com

Re: The Sopranos, season 6.1

TV Shows on DVD wrote:The Sopranos -The Complete Series Announced: Date, Cost, New Bonus Material, Package Art & More!
10-pound package includes 30 DVDs, 3 CDs...but no Blu-ray Version has been mentioned!

A year ago this week, at the Home Media Magazine-hosted "DVD and Beyond" panel (which led into the 2007 annual DVD Critics Awards), HBO Home Video prez Henry McGee mentioned for fans of The Sopranos to "reserve lots of money for Christmas, 2008". TVShowsOnDVD's Gord Lacey was present when he said it, and - as we reported - Gord personally verified with him that he referred to a "Complete Series" package for the show. Now, just in front of this year's annual Entertainment Merchant Association (EMA) show in Las Vegas, HBO Video has announced the details of this release!

The Sopranos - The Complete Series will arrive on November 11th, in a 33-disc package that will have 28 DVDs featuring all 86 episodes from the show's 6-season run, plus 2 DVDs full of bonus material (more on that in a moment), and 3 CDs full of music from the show's soundtrack. The box, which incorporates book-like material (56 pages of text and pictures) from and about the show, is said to weigh in at about 10 pounds! HBO's Senior Vice President of Marketing, Sofia Change, was quoted by USA Today as saying, "It's really the biggest DVD gift set we have released to date, and that means both physically and metaphorically."

Cost doesn't come cheap for this, as the price is $399.99 SRP (a typical 30%-off discount, which many retailers offer on new DVD releases, would make the street price on this around $279.99...but that's up to the individual retailers, of course, and your mileage may vary significantly!).

For all that coin, though, you'll get a lot. Show Creator David Chase is featured in a brand-new interview conducted by none other than show mega-fan Alec Baldwin (30 Rock, The Hunt For Red October). You'll also get a feature called "Supper with The Sopranos", or rather two of them: each is a sit-down dinner/roundtable discussion filmed in 2008 at a New York City Italian restaurant: one with David Chase and other writers, and another featuring various of the actors who have appeared in the show. Then there is the Paley Center for Media panel discussion feature stocked with "Whacked Sopranos" cast, talking about their various grisly demises. You'll also want to catch the included Sopranos parody clips taken from such various shows as The Simpsons, Saturday Night Live and Mad TV. And there are 16 new Deleted Scenes as well, including one where Tony Soprano and Doctor Melfi smooch in her office...better not let Carmela see that clip!

The Associate Press has circulated a picture of the packaging for this DVD set, provided to them by HBO Video, and we've got a look at it courtesy of The Wyoming Tribune-Eagle website. Our thanks to each reader who wrote in with this info, including Bill Calhoun (who was first). As we said earlier, this announcement came just in front of the EMA Show in Las Vegas, which TVShowsOnDVD webmaster Gord Lacey is attending. While there, he saw the below-pictured DVD box, but nothing there for Blu-ray Disc. At the moment, HBO hasn't said a word about releasing this package in a high definition version, which may upset some fans (especially since the Season 6 half-season set releases were available in Blu). We'll try to find out more about that, so stay tuned for updates!
TheSopranos_Complete_early.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Next year? How about next day!

"A journalist for Vox misconstrued what David Chase said in their interview. To simply quote David as saying, 'Tony Soprano is not dead,' is inaccurate. There is a much larger context for that statement and as such, it is not true. As David Chase has said numerous times on the record, 'Whether Tony Soprano is alive or dead is not the point.' To continue to search for this answer is fruitless. The final scene of The Sopranos raises a spiritual question that has no right or wrong answer.”

http://www.vulture.com/2014/08/david-ch ... t-die.html
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Daily* wrote:Sopranos comeback? Hit show set set for 1960s prequel
THE creator of The Sopranos has hinted at the possibility of a spin off, revealing the death of star James Gandolfini wouldn’t be a barrier.

David Chase has revealed his idea for a prequel to the hit New Jersey-based mafia drama which would be set decades before the original, which aired from 1999 to 2007.

“It wouldn’t be The Sopranos that was on the air,” he told the AP about reopening the storylines with aired over 86 episodes on HBO.

“Obviously at least one person is gone that we would need,” he said referring to James’ death from a heart attack last year.

Of the potential spin-off he added: “There are a couple of eras that would be interesting for me to talk about, about Newark, New Jersey,” he said.

“One would be the late 60s, early 70s, about all the racial animosity. Or the beginning, the really true beginning of the flood of drugs.”

Sopranos fans have constantly wondered what happened to Tony Soprano (James Gandolfini) after the last ever scene of the show faded to black before it was revealed whether the mafia boss was murdered or not.

It looks unlikely to be addressed in any potential spin-off as David recently said: “Whether Tony Soprano is alive or dead is not the point.”
again i say: um... ok?

started re-watching this series over the weekend. have three episodes left in S2. really insane how much happens in the very first episode that i thought happened way later. really sad that james is gone. the show is so good.

O-dot wrote:It started to lose its mojo as early as S3.
i disagree. just finished the series again last week. i did remember that parts of the series as early as S3 felt meandering, but upon rewatching in close succession, all subplots play like nice asides. i think it was the pain of thinking they only have so many episodes to play with before a really long fucking break between seasons, why are they wasting it on this? however, again - in the big picture of the over-arching story of the entire series, almost everything plays nicely. i personally don't give a shit about paulie's mother, which the series spent an inordinate amount of time covering, but it did lead to some interesting undertones for paulie. i also don't understand why the series spent so much time with vito after he left town. that will forever be inexplicable to me.

anyway, goddamn - what a series. i say this every time, but this will always be a favorite. just amazing. i know Oz came first, but was nowhere near the hit this was. without this show, we wouldn't have the series' we love today. the balls on HBO for things like Oz and this at the time - size of texas.

the ending - in hindsight, when i first watched it, i think i was over-analyzing it. of course, the direction and editing try to make you do so as well. upon rewatching, i think all that's a red herring. the show is ultimately about family, which is how it ends - AJ has essentially become a millennial tony, meadow isn't sure about college and her future, tony & carm have reconciled... and tony is losing major portions of his "other" family. it's important to him to have this. "remember the good times" indeed.

gandalfini was such a force, we should not have lost him so early. so amazing.

the presentation was great, too - even the early stuff looks good on blu, better than the first reissue. watched some of the commentaries and extras along the way, saving some for another time. buscemi - so much respect for the actor & director, and he says some points of interest, but his commentaries are so dry it's kind of tough to listen to. boring. the commentary with carm, meadow & AJ would be great if they let AJ talk more. the one he does solo is great - i expected i'd hate him, but he's hilarious. the uncle junior commentary is fantastic, he does a lot of it in character. one thing i don't remember seeing is any commentary from james. again, so freakin' sad.

highly recommend revisiting the show for anyone that was a fan. will never get old.

HOLY SHIT
/film wrote:‘The Sopranos’ Prequel Movie in the Works from Series Creator David Chase

David Chase is returning to the blood-stained shores of New Jersey for a The Sopranos prequel.

The creator of the critically acclaimed, groundbreaking HBO series is working on the screenplay for a prequel film titled The Many Saints of Newark.

Chase co-wrote the screenplay for The Many Saints of Newark with Sopranos writer Lawrence Konner, according to Deadline. New Line purchased the screenplay and is currently searching for a director.

The Many Saints of Newark is currently the working title of the prequel film, which will follow the violent clashes between the African-American and Italian communities of Newark at the height of the Newark race riots in the 1960s. With tensions rising across the city, the conflicts between the gangsters of the groups “became especially lethal,” Deadline writes.

Toby Emmerich, the chairman of the Warner Bros. Pictures Group, which owns New Line, praised Chase’s screenplay and the return of a crime series that has long been deemed one of the best TV shows ever.

“David is a masterful storyteller and we, along with our colleagues at HBO, are thrilled that he has decided to revisit, and enlarge, the Soprano universe in a feature film.”

Other plot details remain under wraps, but some fan-favorite characters are seemingly guaranteed to appear in the prequel. No characters have been confirmed, but judging by the time period, you can expect to see Tony Soprano’s father, Giovanni “Johnny Boy,” the former head of the Jersey crew (played in flashbacks by Joseph Siravo), and a younger version of his wife Livia (Nancy Marchand), as well as Tony’s uncle Junior (Dominic Chianese).

Chase will serve as producer as well as co-writer. He will also be involved in selecting a director.

It’s always possible that Chase could step into the director’s chair himself. He made his directorial feature film debut with 2012’s Not Fade Away, which starred the late Sopranos star James Gandolfini. The drama was critically well-received, but Chase hasn’t directed a film since. Chase is probably busy writing the screenplay, but since this prequel is clearly his passion project, it would feel fitting for him to take on the role of director as well.