Black vs. Anger

Heh, so I used a gift certificate to pick up "Blessed Black Wings" and for the heck of it borrowed "St. Anger" from a friend. Heh. Heh. O.k., um, Metallica? TIME TO STOP. Put out solo projects, snort coke off model's tits, find Jesus, but man o man, stop going into studios. Truly, deeply pathetic attempt at being "raw" and "mean" and whatever adjectives Bob Rock filled their head with (as if that shit shouldn't be part of their DNA by now). Actually the "raw" production is a joke; aside from the charmingly low-budget roar of "Kill 'Em All," this has never been a band that had rough edges as far as their songcraft and production go. A million years ago when they were fucking cool, they were TIGHT. Hearing distortion pedals kick in or having Kirk's guitar out of tune doesn't make you angry punk rock, shitheads, and by the way that ship sailed back in '91 when you had a chance to ride the wave but instead traded your cocks in for studio sheen. It makes you sound desperate and stupid. That and the tepid riffs. O.K., there's a chug chug chug here and there that starts to get fun, and then they immediately swerve into a painful imitation of thrash, bad/no chord progressions and....God forbid...Hetfield starts singing. Yeah, that's what really put the final nail in the coffin, Hetfield's whimpy tenor (man he used to be such a great metal singer!) and those awful, awful lyrics. Some of you may have also noticed Lars' drums sound like utter shit. If Rock belongs to some producer's union, he should have his card yanked. Probably a couple of hair extensions too, just because.

The boys should've hired Albini, a move I've wished for going on 15 years now, and maybe they could've made something as good as Blessed Black Wings. Probably not, though. Good album. Much thrashier than I thought it would be since they get stuck with the Stoner Rock tag; I don't know many stoners who would chill out to this shit. Lots of good thrash with, correct me if I'm wrong, even a little math-rock noodling in there. I'm not the hugest fan of the singer, but he's definitely servicable and doesn't distract from a pretty relentless pummelling by the rest of the crew. I have purchased/listened to very few metal albums this year, to be sure, but BBW and that black metal band from St. Louis, the one named after the Dune bad guys or something...best heavy shit I've heard this year.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I remember the first time I heard "St. Anger" on the radio. They hyped it up, big debut, new Metallica, hardest stuff they've ever done.

The only other thing I really remember is laughing, calling the station and asking them to never play it again, and changing the station each subsequent time they tried it out.

It lasted about two weeks on the air, never to be heard from again.
TC wrote:as soon as baseball stops being homosexual, i will.

glad you dug it. figured you might. it's good shit. like a heavier Pentagram. can't believe you wasted that much text on Shit Anger, though. :)

Muad'Dib.

Re: Black vs. Anger

Lots of good thrash with, correct me if I'm wrong, even a little math-rock noodling in there.
Who was the guy here who complained about High on Fire's "generic riffing"?
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

I complained about Mastadon's generic riffing a few months back, maybe you're thinking of that. High On Fire is much better.

Call me Usil!
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Would like to know what Blabbermouth's source is for these rumors.
METALLICA: New Album To Be Produced By RICK RUBIN? - Jan. 27, 2006
Rumors continue to circulate that METALLICA have finally ended their working relationship with producer Bob Rock and are in talks with Rick Rubin (SYSTEM OF A DOWN, SLIPKNOT, SLAYER, AUDIOSLAVE, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS) about producing the group's next effort, the follow-up to the much-maligned "St. Anger".

It was as far back as last October that the first rumblings of a METALLICA/Rubin collaboration reached BLABBERMOUTH.NET, and the rumors have been gaining strength ever since. Adding fuel to these reports is the fact that Rock is scheduled to spend a good portion of 2006 working on the new CD from MÖTLEY CRÜE, which is expected to surface sometime next year.

In a September 2005 interview with the METALLICA fan club magazine So What!, METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich was asked point-blank if Bob Rock's name had been discused for the group's next album.

"I would say that Bob Rock will always be our producer," Ulrich replied. "You know it's almost like default. It's not whether he should produce, it's more whether he shouldn't produce it. So I would expect Bob Rock to produce it unless he's not interested."

In the same interview, Ulrich spoke highly of the most recent albums by SLIPKNOT and SYSTEM OF A DOWN — both of which were produced by Rubin — citing them as particularly inspiring in terms of making him "look forward to paying a little more attention to the sonics" next time around.

METALLICA officially began the songwriting process for their new album late last year and are expected to spend the next few months compiling ideas before entering the final recording stage. A late 2006/early 2007 release via Warner Bros. is expected.
Well if Rubin gave them a Reign in Blood sound, great. Otherwise, I don't see how it'd make any difference.

Now if the rumors were talking about Andy Sneap, that would get me interested.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Hey, the rumors turned out to be true:
It's Official: New METALLICA Album To Be Produced By RICK RUBIN - Feb. 16, 2006
As BLABBERMOUTH.NET first hinted on Jan. 6 and then again on Jan. 27, METALLICA have finally confirmed that they are working with producer Rick Rubin (SYSTEM OF A DOWN, AUDIOSLAVE, SLAYER, SLIPKNOT) on their new studio album.

In a posting on their official web site, METALLICA write, "We just wanted to let our friends know that we have been jamming, writing, just plain messing around and having fun in the studio for the last few weeks.

"Oh, and by the way, this up-and-coming producer guy named Rick something-or-other has been coming by the studio every now and again to listen to some of our new stuff and throw his two/three cents in.

"Since this Rick dude is new to all of this, we thought it would be a nice gesture to help break him into the music business by asking him to produce our next record. We're very happy he said yes! In other words, we are psyched to share with you that Rick Rubin is producing the next METALLICA album! FUCK YEAH!"

Check out pictures of METALLICA and Rick Rubin in the band's rehearsal/recording studio at Metallica.com.
All comes down to whether the band is writing decent stuff, I suppose. But at least the new album will have a better sound than the last one.

"look forward to paying a little more attention to the sonics" next time around.
Just pay some attention to them period, that's all we ask. heh!

Rubin's obviously miles beyond Bob Rock, but the fact remains that they ran out of Cliff's riffs almost 15 years ago and Hetfield's age and/or influence of Bob Rock has pretty much ruined his vocals. His attempts at sound 'tough' on Anger are pitiful.[/quote]

Alexhead wrote:Rubin's obviously miles beyond Bob Rock, but the fact remains that they ran out of Cliff's riffs almost 15 years ago and Hetfield's age and/or influence of Bob Rock has pretty much ruined his vocals. His attempts at sound 'tough' on Anger are pitiful.
You are not incorrect.

TC, ok, hmm, so you don't want people to post personal stuff off the board...

...what IS kind of off-putting, though, is the way 1/2 of the posters have some kind of mod privilege which allows them to post on locked threads / lock threads, whilst the other half don't. that just isn't condusive to a friendly atmosphere or encouraging to new posters, is it.

wel, considering that's the first thread that's been locked here in, oh, three years, i don't see an issue. i'm sorry you two were so upset by it, sheesh.

i'm still trying to figure out if i can get down to texas for the film fest - you still coming over? if i can get down there, can you get me in, because i'm not paying $250....

Man, this got my hopes up. Here I was wondering what in the heck maha could possibly have to say on the subject of Rick Rubin, or Metallica. :twisted:

Back on topic, sort of:
METALLICA Continue Work On New Album
METALLICA are mentioned in the latest issue of Kerrang! magazine, where drummer Lars Ulrich offers a small update on the progress of the songwriting sessions for the band's new album.

According to Ulrich, METALLICA have "six to seven" new songs completed without vocals and have gone back to the old approach of Lars and guitarist/vocalist James Hetfield sifting through riff tapes the band have recorded on hours of jam sessions from the last world tour.

Regarding the band's collaboration with producer Rick Rubin (SLIPKNOT, SYSTEM OF A DOWN, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS), Lars said that its been good working with him because he sees things in the big picture and it was good to change producers because after 15 years they felt spoiled.
I guess spoiled is one way to put it. :roll: