Photoshop vs Fireworks

Let's hear it. I personally use both programs but for different reasons. Photoshop is my goto for anything with photos within the actual graphic. But all my website layouts are done in Fireworks. You can't beat the way it works with paths. I also enjoy the way Fireworks handles slices.

What do you like?
We're Back in gØre!!!!

myFORUM

funny you should mention that now. i've been using photoshop since v3, and you know, it is just industry standard. there's no two ways about it - photoshop is the entire package, and as you said there is none other for working with actual photos.

that being said, the new logo i've done was done as a result of playing around with fireworksMX. i have used fireworks 4 in the past pretty regularly for some buttons & such on a corporate site i did, but never really too impressed with it. but MAN did they improve things for MX! i love it, it's really a great little program. but again, for photos? nope. it's got it's own uses, and i can accomplish some things in fireworks in way less time than i could in photoshop.

i'm also recently discovering the joys and wonders of painter 7. now that is one incredible program. makes me wish i could actually paint. bob ross i'm not! 8)

I don't think Macromedia intended Fireworks to be a program for editing actual photos. It's like they were avoiding them or something. You can adjust contrast, brightness and whatnot but there's no options for selective colors. That may have changed with MX, My boss got a bunch of copies but I'm holding out until others give me some feedback. One thing that I love about Fireworks that bugs me about Photoshop is not having to manually create a new layer for everything. Paths have their own layer within a layer set, so to speak. It's like they count slices as a layer and then paths and bitmaps as layers. It's just a nice feature. I've never used painter or seen it for that matter. But I have seen Bob Ross. Love the fro.
We're Back in gØre!!!!

myFORUM

Do you use Dreamweaver at all? Nobody seems to be impressed with that under the new release. I don't see how they could have messed up fireworks though.
We're Back in gØre!!!!

myFORUM

Mr. Nissen wrote:Do you use Dreamweaver at all? Nobody seems to be impressed with that under the new release. I don't see how they could have messed up fireworks though.
well, i have DW MX. i previously used DW 4 for a grand total of about 15 minutes. i've openned and looked at DW MX, but honestly it's just overkill for me. i prefer to code by hand. if i am in some huge rush and just need something to throw some tables at, i might use it.

but that's about it.

so i can't really vouch for whether or not it's better/worse.

I'm just now getting to the point where I'm not so dependant on Dreamweaver. I've only been working with PC's now for about a year. Before that I was oblivious to the computer world. And I've been making graphics and coding websites for about the same period of time. But I'm realizing, that it's good to hand code everything if you have the time. It makes you better and keeps your skills sharp. I started learning php about a month or so ago. I go over my php4 book on average of 30 minutes a day. It's so fun, I love it. But learning php has been the motivating factor for me to hand code everything. That's what I have to do during the lessons they take you through and it's made me so much better. At least I think so. But anywho, I'm gonna stick with DW and FW 4 for now.

Something else that's funny. If you go to Macromedia's site and look at Fireworks or other programs, they have a shopping cart icon for making purchases, and it's really crappy looking. I just thought they'd have something a little less, well crappy. Any way I need to get back to figuring out how to get out of here...
We're Back in gØre!!!!

myFORUM

Ok, it works like this, Dreamweaver MX or Homesite 5 (which ever comes first) for website code editing, and Photoshop for all my graphics needs. I've heard good things about Fireworks but I don't know how to use it...
Can't sleep clowns will eat me. ...

"You asked for a miracle, I give you the FBI." - Hans Gruber (Die Hard 1)

$>cd /pub
$>more beer
$>rm -rf /bin/laden

if you can use photoshop, fireworks you already know. they are different, but operate the same way. i like using fireworks over photoshop for web stuff these days. well, since MX came out. :)