Web-only album wins Grammy

sure, this could be music news, but Maria Schneider isn't the most important part of the story - the fact that a web-only album has won this "prestigious" (within the industry) award is a fucking landmark that could pave the way for the music of tomorrow. incidentally, it's a big FUCK YOU to the RIAA and the whole anti-downloading music movement. FUCK OFF, people don't NEED labels or your corrupt business practices.

way to go, Maria - whoever you are.
Cnet wrote:Web-only album wins Grammy

LOS ANGELES--Jazz composer Maria Schneider took home a Grammy on Sunday for her album "Concert in the Garden," without selling a single copy in a record store.

Schneider, 44, financed her Grammy-winning album through an Internet-based music delivery service called ArtistShare that opens the financing of production to dedicated fans.

Schneider said she believed she might be the first artist ever to win a Grammy for an album distributed solely on the Web. But she said that other musicians had already approached her about trying similar experiments of their own.

"It's been very gratifying for me. It's a new way for fans to be closer to artists and artists to be closer to fans," Schneider told reporters after receiving her award.

"They (fans) came into the project long before I completed my CD," she said.

Schneider, who was ArtistShare's first participating artist, said she had funded the cost of her original budget before she started recording, an anomaly in recording, particularly with jazz albums.

The "Concert in the Garden" CD was limited to 10,000 copies, with 9,000 available for pre-order to participants and 1,000 held in reserve for later auction, through ArtistShare.

"This record cost $87,000 to make. I already made my money back," she said. "I'm not splitting the profits with the distributor, the record store and the record company. It's working so well for me,"

To be sure, big record labels were also humming at the 47th annual Grammys on Sunday about the fast-growing digital music market.

Sales of digital downloads, while still a small piece of the overall music business, rose to more than 143 million tracks in 2004 from 19.2 million in 2003.

In 2004, sales of digital music players like Apple Computer's iPod exploded, and recording artists are also relying increasingly on revenue from other nontraditional sources like films, videogames and cell phone ring tones.

Be nice if they could develop a download format that doesn't sound like shit. Until then, I'll be sticking with my shiny metal discs thank you.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

not everyone has equipment that exposes the flaws in any file format. besides, you still have complaints with flac, shn, or m4p?

TC wrote:not everyone has equipment that exposes the flaws in any file format.
May I also add that not everyone has the ears that expose flaws in the file format. :|
"Good taste is the death of art."
-Truman Capote

May I also add that CDs are by no means lossless... really, there isn't any such thing as lossless digital audio, it all experiences loss to some degree. And I've got some poorly engineered CDs here that sound pretty shitty, simply because the record company said "OMG LOUDER PLS" and destroyed the dynamic range.

I've got relatively high-end equipment and I've never had a reason to complain about my iTunes downloads or CD rips. I can hear the problems with the files that were ripped to WMA, then later converted to AAC; that's why I don't keep those in my collection.
TC wrote:as soon as baseball stops being homosexual, i will.