File backup options

I'm looking for an easy way to protect all of my family photos/videos etc. The collection continues to grow, and I've got over 25 GB of stuff now I think. Right now I have most everything saved on both my laptop's HDD and my desktop's HDD (which has a RAID mirror of 400 GB drives). So, I'm pretty well protected from a single computer or hard drive failure, but everything is within my house, so in the event of a fire, flood, etc. it would be toast.

I keep meaning to burn everything to DVDs as an extra layer of backup, but I never get around to it. Are there any good/cheap cloud storage options out there nowadays? I'd like to have something that's easy (or else I won't keep up with it) and off-site for the extra insurance. Any suggestions?

Re: File backup options

i've got crashplan working with my WHS NAS: http://www.crashplan.com/

using the crashplan+ unlimited option. it was something like $50/yr. right now i've got almost 200GB backed up there. it's simple, no bells & whistles, no online access to your files, it's just a safe in the cloud essentially. files encrypted before sending over an encrypted tunnel, which is why i chose CP over other options that encrypt onsite (meaning they have access to your unencrypted files at some point). CP does not.

Re: File backup options

big d note wrote:Thanks, that looks like a good solution for what I need. Now my wife won't have to worry about losing all the baby pictures in a computer crash.
that's exactly why i did it. plus with unlimited a ton of docs, music (created), etc.