Re: Recovering your iTunes library from a dead PC

do you mean just the itunes library files, like the xml & database files, or do you mean the actual content, like music/video/book/etc files?

either way, define "dead PC". what's dead - motherboard? power supply? or is it the hard drive that housed said files? if the hard drive, does "dead" mean "won't power up", "makes weird noises while attempting to power up", "not making noises but no longer showing up on 'my computer'", "i have no idea because it was also my boot volume and now i can't boot", or what?

I mean the music files themselves. And the computer (which I believe has been dying a slow death for some time), which I powered down before going on a trip last week, will not start up.

It's not the end of the world if I never get it back, I do back up my library from time to time on an external hard drive. and tend to burn newer stuff to disc to listen to in the car anyway, but it's been a couple of months since my last backup so I'd probably lose at least 30 albums or so.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

it won't start up at all? if that's the case, take off the side panel and look at the motherboard. there should be a small (usually green) LED somewhere on it. the LED will be lit when there is a power cord plugged in and the computer is powered off. if you don't see an LED, the motherboard battery is dead. they are easily replaceable. if you do see it and it still won't power up, there could be an issue with the power supply. that would run you $40-$50.