New tv - suggestions?

So I'm in the market for a new set, and I have absolutely zero money to spend... Well, almost anyway.

Have had my eye on a 40" Toshiba Full HD-set called 40RV733 but I can't find any reviews for it. Anyone know anything about Toshiba-sets?

Re: New tv - suggestions?

i actually just spent a couple weeks researching a month ago before i bought my tv. did all kinds of reading, pricing, checking out in person, etc. ended up with a killer LG, but it sounds like it's out of your range.

i didn't include any toshiba in my research, and consumer reports doesn't have anything on that model, so i can't help man. sorry. consumer reports does have a general "brand reliability" scale, and toshiba is in the top of the pack there tied with LG for 4% (meaning, that many have to be repaired or have serious problems).

You should never trust consumer reports about anything to do with electronics. Toshiba displays are not known for their quality. But these days there's no one magic manufacturer that's always good, due mainly to the fact that everyone uses everyone else's parts and you never know who really built something. You pretty much have to research things on a display by display basis. This is the fountain of knowledge when it comes to researching your electronics. Pretty much every major electronics purchase I've made in the last seven years has been based on research I've done here and I've yet to make a bad choice (hope I didn't just jinx it!). Granted, you will have to do a bit of work reading through threads. But if you really want to get the most bang for your buck, this is the best place to help you do that.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Hooke up my LG 42LD450 a couple of hours ago and first impressions are very nice. Especially while playing around with my PS3.

But I have no clue how to properly set up a Full HD-TV set (what to look for in colors etc). Anyone know a good guide?

Having it professional calibrated is the best bet, though not cheap. To get it somewhat close yourself, grab a disc like Digital Video Essentials or Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark. They have most of the test patterns and instructions for setting things. I like S&M a bit better than DVE, but both will get you most of the way there.
Just cut them up like regular chickens