Re: Harddrive problems

Glad you finally found a way to get your data. I know how much of a pain it can be to lose stuff. I've unfortunately gotten into the problem where I don't really have a easy way to do backups, as my work computer has 2 TB of hard drives in it. Fortunately they're in a raid1 config, so in theory I have the other drives if one dies. But I'd feel a lot better if I had another backup.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

I dont think it was though, since it was working far from perfect on the mac. The difference seemed to be that the mac didn't give up trying to copy the stuff like the pc did. After some time of copying, the clicking sound was gone.

_Marcus_ wrote:I dont think it was though, since it was working far from perfect on the mac. The difference seemed to be that the mac didn't give up trying to copy the stuff like the pc did. After some time of copying, the clicking sound was gone.
perfect. nicely done! :)

big d note wrote:I've got a pair of Seagates in my desktop at home. Once crapped out and they replaced it under warranty. They gave me a 400 GB replacement for my 320 GB original.

I did some sound isolation work for a company that does data recovery. Apparently they listen to the drives and need very low background noise to do their work, so the fitness center next to them in the strip mall was (and still is) causing problems. They charge some outrageous prices too, starting at like $1000. Hope the freezer works for you!
My other original Seagate drive is dead now too. That's 2-for-2 on them. Glad I set up the RAID array. Looks like I'll be going Western Digital or somebody else for my next drive purchase whenever these fill up.

And on Monday I'm going back to the data recovery place to look at their sound isolation problems some more. Weird how both parts of this post got repeated in a 24-hour period.

Seagate BARRACUDA drive
7200-RPM P ATA
320 GB
Model # ST3320620A

Maybe I got 2 out of a bad batch? I think they're made in China, but what isn't? I bought them brand new, not refurb, from newegg.com. At least they died one at a time and still under warranty.

big d note wrote:I bought them brand new, not refurb, from newegg.com. At least they died one at a time and still under warranty.
My company has had a lot of problems with defective products from newegg, to the point that we don't buy from them anymore.
Just cut them up like regular chickens