Re: best hackiing defacement evar

Ah. All of ours are networked and controlled from a central office in town (which I used to pass every day on my way to work - the entrance is certainly well secured!). They likely all have (properly secured) serial access locally, so that's probably a bit beyond the means of most geeks - not to mention that actually getting up on those things isn't exactly easy either. I think I've once seen one of those wee mobile ones perched by the side of the motorway, but that was a long time ago. The new highway agency just stuck them on the top of their vans (aero-dynamics be damned). It envokes some of the more primative emotions to see one of them plodding down the hard-shoulder at 20mph displaying "Caution: Queues Likely" as the main flow of traffic sits at a stand-still. Or the one I got the other day, as traffic trickles by in a howling blizzard, it trys to display "Caution: Snow Likely", except that the thing is half-covered in snow.

This useless deluge of information brought to you by the letter P.

KSDK wrote:Sign warns Illinois drivers about zombies
closers.jpg
zombies.jpg
Drivers in the Metro East were warned about zombies during their Tuesday morning commute.

This happened on 1-255 Southbound just south of the Pontoon Beach exit. Someone changed IDOT's sign to read "DAILY LANE CLOSURES DUE TO ZOMBIES."

IDOT believes someone hacked the sign's computer remotely. While crewmembers were still on the scene after fixing the message, the display changed back to the hoax.

"We've talked to the company that supplies these and they have a patch out there they've applied to the program to fix the problem," said Joe Gasaway with the Illinois Department of Transportation.

Just last week, drivers in Austin, TX were warned about "Nazi zombies, run!" and "The end is near." Pranksters there cut the padlock on the sign and changed the message.
"hacked remotely"? that would be new...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

darkness wrote:I don't think those can be remotely changed. The workers probably just didn't know what they were doing.
yeah, that was my thought too. those signs have been around since the '80s, i don't see them retrofitting them with some wireless control board.

but, we're talking about the same people that spent a fuckton of money putting mile markers at every 2/10 of a mile instead of the standard every 1 mile, so i wouldn't put it past them.

and ftr, i had nothing to do with these, even though i drive by that location very frequently.