darkness wrote:On a 34" set, HD is barely even worth it. 720 doesn't even show much improvement over 480.
Almost agreed. I'm perfectly happy with the upconverted DVD output, and I won't be jumping on these next-gen things anytime soon.

With that said, there is most definitely a difference in clarity, especially with a high-end, umpteenth-generation CRT. My Xbox 360 outputting video in 720p is absolutely glorious, and watching the NHL and NFL broadcasts in 1080i is breathtaking. DVD doesn't hold a candle.
TC wrote:as soon as baseball stops being homosexual, i will.

darkness wrote:Naw, that projector is a pussy. To take advantage of blu-ray and hd-dvd you need one of these:

http://www.barco.com/digitalcinema/en/p ... ement=1721

:loony:
I actually have an old (late 80's) BARCO projector sitting in the garage. I think it only goes 640x480 though. Picked it up free because it doesn't work. Haven't had time to troubleshoot it though.
Are you propositioning me? I taste like candy and you want the recipe?

What's interesting about the Fujitsu, though, is that it's basically a home cinema projector, given that it's LCD, the contrast ratio, build of the thing, etc.... and yet, to take advantage of blu-ray resolution, you find yourself shelling out $25,000!!! Talk about the software being ahead of the hardware...

If you don't want to drop $24k, you can get the Sony VPL-VW100 for $10k. It has about the same contrast, but a lower light level.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

klimov wrote:oh wow, that looks nice... is it LCD or DLP? Reckon there'll be any hitting the 2nd hand market anytime soon?
It's not really LCD or DLP, it's Sony's SXDR technology, which is their version of LCoS. It's closest to LCD technology, but still not the same thing. I doubt you'll see them on the second hand market anytime soon since the projector just came out in February.

For the uninitiated, LCoS is sort of the be all, end all of flat panel display technologies, at least until OLED becomes a reality. It essentially has all the advantages of every display technology, with few of the drawbacks, essentially it's a combination of LCD and DLP. It's some pretty awesome tech.

Because it's an immature technology. I'd wait for it to develop another couple years before sinking any money into it. Especially since they say they're still having contrast ratio issues; in theory this technology should be capable of true blacks and ridiculous whites.

klimov wrote:wow. so how come the Fujitsu projector is twice the price?

Because it's an old 2004 model, whereas the Sony is this year's model and prices have come down. The older Sony projector from around the same time period was also $24k. BTW, the Fujitsu, like many 1080p projectors of it's time, doesn't actually accept a 1080p signal via HDMI. It requires a 1080i signal which it converts to 1080p internally. Most projectors back then did that as there weren't any 1080p sources for them to worry about.
Sounds like I might want to take out a loan for this Sony...
I'd make sure you see one first before you drop that kind of coin. I've heard there are some issues with the corners being dimmer than the rest of the picture, and the light level is really low (about 500 lumens real world). But I've also heard the picture is outstanding and the blacks are almost crt level. I know Starpower here in Dallas sells them, one of these days I'll have to pop over and see it. I think they were selling it at around $7k.

IMDb:
Critics Unimpressed with HD DVD
Consumer electronics writers have begun to weigh in on the new HD DVD players distributed by Toshiba this week, and most are unimpressed. Several cite an intolerably long boot-up period, a confusing menu system, and incompatible sound. But nearly all express disappointment in the picture. On smaller sets, the writers agree, the difference between HD DVD and a conventional DVD is virtually undetectable. "Bottom line is that HD DVD is great, but will you notice?" asks Ben Drawbaugh on HDBeat.com. Writing in the Los Angeles Times David Colker remarked that on larger screens he could detect a subtle difference. He added: "I tested my perceptions by switching between the two formats. I asked a colleague to close his eyes while I chose a version, then had him open them and guess: DVD or HD DVD? He got it right only about 75% of the time. So, yes, it's better. But don't expect the dramatic leap in quality that came with the transition from VHS to DVDs in the 1990s."
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

TC wrote:isn't the biggest difference in capacity of the discs?
But that capacity was supposed to be used to bring more detail/higher resolution. I think the end result is supposed to be roughly the same "running length" capacity?
Are you propositioning me? I taste like candy and you want the recipe?

Most people have mentioned that it really shows up the difference in quality of projectors. Personally, I suspect a lot of these reviewers are either using 720p displays or ones 40" and smaller. And if you can only see a "subtle difference" on a large display, then you're display is shit. Also, Warner fucked up the audio on their first titles which isn't helping matters. UPS says my player will be here tomorrow, but I'm leaving town for a show so I won't get to play with it till next week.

darkness wrote: if you can only see a "subtle difference" on a large display, then you're display is shit.
Exactly. Although, in fairness, pretty much every display in consumer circulation is shit by this definition (non 1080P).

I've watched 1080P trailers split across two screens on my Mac. Obviously not ideal viewing conditions, but the vast disparity of SD is more than clear.

Ultimately, this just points to the conclusion that it would be best to hold on until 1080P PJs become affordable and there is a wider selection of titles available and, perhaps, the format war has been won, and take the plunge at that time...

I just read the actual LA Times article referenced in what O-dot posted above. This was the guy's test system:
I started on a 32-inch Sony HDTV that was about two years old. It had no capability to accept the most current digital hookup technology — HDMI — so I used the analog audio and video cables included with the player.
Next, I switched to an almost new, 23-inch Samsung LCD set with HDMI hookup. The HD DVD image looked great. But a plain, old DVD of the same movie looked just as great on the set. In fact, the images looked almost identical.
Wow, small ass screens and in one case, no digital connection. Totally worthless review. Next maybe this guy will tell me how the new Ferrari's handle by test driving one through a car wash. :dunno:

darkness wrote:Next maybe this guy will tell me how the new Ferrari's handle by test driving one through a car wash. :dunno:
It's a little bumpy. :twisted:
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.