HD-DVD discussion

Less than a month now till we get to enjoy HD goodness!
edit: titled edited to reflect current discussions on 16 jan 08. original title: "Cover art for first HD-DVD titles" - TC
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Great Scott, I'll rush right out.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

it's nice to see what looks like a reduced packaging size. I don't think we'll ever end up with jewel case dvds, but a smaller clamshell is better imo.
Ride me a worm, you're a rider...
Walk without rhythm and you're a strider of deserts...

They're a little smaller, kind of the size of a dvd-a disc. Here's a comparison between a dvd case and blu-ray case, which is pretty much the same size as an hd-dvd one.

You know you loved that samurai thing, admit it.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Phantom of the Opera, while not a great film, does have outstanding sound design, so if it really is Dolby True HD 5.1, I'll pick it up.

If you think these are bad, the Blu-ray launch titles are far worse.

The original Phantom Of The Opera sounded awesome on the system in my office compared to anything else I've had the oppertunity to play up here. I'll be looking to give the HD-DVD one a try. All the fun equipment was at my old job though, so no playing on million-quid sound equipment like you kids. ;)

Me being me though, I don't really care about the visual quality. :killer:

First gen players can't, but future ones will. Good to see the early releases are going full-out. Disappointing to see special features at 480i though.
TC wrote:as soon as baseball stops being homosexual, i will.

Kanuck wrote:First gen players can't, but future ones will. Good to see the early releases are going full-out. Disappointing to see special features at 480i though.
Yeah, what he said. The format supports it and all film titles from major studios will be 1080p. But the first two Toshiba players can't output it because Toshiba rushed the product and there was no 1080p chip available when they went into development. The next generation of players should output it. But since your projector is only 720p anyway, I don't know why it should matter for you.

The special features are only 480 because that's what they were filmed at, since they're just ports of the regular dvd features. You probably won't see any HD extras until they start producing them with the new formats in mind.

One wants to be future-proof, tho. I'm not inclined to shell out on a 1080i player. Well, tbh, not inclined to shell out on HD-DVD full stop. Maybe if a Blu-Ray player does HD-DVD as well.

Pit wrote:I'll wait for the players to hit £20. Should only take 6 or 7 years. 8)
By that time we'll all be getting ready to buy the next format. Probably something that wires straight into your brain.

darkness wrote:By that time we'll all be getting ready to buy the next format. Probably something that wires straight into your brain.
"Incompatible Hardware."

darkness: I'd still prefer to see the special features produced in hi-def. I've grown rather accustomed to watching sportsnetnews in high def - yes, the majority of the highlights are 4:3 and of absolutely awful quality, but those select few are in their hi-def glory. Not to mention the onscreen graphics, the ticker, et cetera - it's just nice to have as much as possible in high definition.

Granted, you say these are ports, and I guess that's right in the truest sense. I guess the reality is it's just not worth the effort in their eyes to remaster (is that the right term?) everything for the new formats.

I do think 1080p is only necessary on the really big TVs, projectors and the like. I doubt I'll develop an inferiority complex because my 34" widescreen can only do 720p - it's been more than plenty so far.
TC wrote:as soon as baseball stops being homosexual, i will.

Kanuck wrote:Granted, you say these are ports, and I guess that's right in the truest sense. I guess the reality is it's just not worth the effort in their eyes to remaster (is that the right term?) everything for the new formats.
Since many of the extras, for instance the roundtable on Million Dollar Baby, was shot native 480, there's nothing remastering could do. You can't create resolution that wasn't there to start with. Unless the original of the extra was hd or higher to start with, the best they could do is upconvert it. But since the player upconverts 480 anyway, might as well let the player do it.

You'll be happy to know that according to the lastest issue of Video Business, The Dukes of Hazzard will have HD-DVD exclusive extras, which might be native HD. Also Batman Begins and Constantine
I do think 1080p is only necessary on the really big TVs, projectors and the like. I doubt I'll develop an inferiority complex because my 34" widescreen can only do 720p - it's been more than plenty so far.

On a 34" set, HD is barely even worth it. 720 doesn't even show much improvement over 480.

darkness wrote:You can't create resolution that wasn't there to start with.
Can't Hollywood use the maths-defying "enhancement" technology that we so often see portrayed in their productions? They'll just need to hack into the government mainframes to network the internet cybermind so that they can process the image vector offsets before the Cylons hack the firewall.

:killer: