well heck, if you ever get in here (re: video editing)

again, just tell me what OS you have and what hardware you have (CPU, RAM, etc) and i will be able to hook you up, or at least make recommendations. for example, i have Adobe Premiere 6.0. Premier is great, it's just not "industry standard". one reason is because, let's face it, video post-production is a Mac dominated environment, and there are better authoring tools for top-quality product. i've got Photoshop 6 for photo work, which is the de facto photo editing software.

tons of other stuff too. let's just figure out what you need and want to do first.

oh, and FYI i cannot access this forum during the day, so don't get impatient. i just didn't want to list the forum publically on the DLDB. remember, this is our haven.

Hey! Finally...

Sorry man I have a mental defect: New-style discussion boards confuse and frighten me. 8O

SO, ok, again the operating system is WIN 2000. Computer specs:

AMD Athlon Processor
AT/AT COMPATIBLE
523,744 KB RAM

This is what it says in the properties. Need any other specs?

I'm also looking for music editing/production programs. I just went to the free Pro-Tools site but there isn't any free stuff for W2000--or at least not that I've found. SO...any advice you can give me will be a giant help. Yee haw!

heck

so you've got an AMD Athalon processor - what speed? you can see this when you start up, or go to Administrative Tools->Computer management (or whatever the hell it's called - i'm having a brain fart since i don't run Win2K anymore) and you'll see it in the Command Center there. that will allow me to tell you if what you want will run the way you want it to.

as far as apps, i've got a nice collection i can give you personal reviews on and help you out with. if you are interested, i'm sure i could send you an "evaluation" version that you could check out, then you could always "buy" it later if you liked it. ;)

SoundForge 5.0
Acid Pro 3.0
Cakewalk Pro 9.03
Fruity Loops 3.11
Wave Native 3.0 Gold (not good for XP!!!)
etc.

you get the idea...

speed

TC...

Ok, I'm in the administrative tools, computer management, and in the system summary section it lists the processor as a "x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 4 AuthenticAMD ~1400 mhz"

More info:

total physical memory: 523,744 kb
available physical memory; 368.820 kb
total virtual memory: 1,802,228 kb
available virtual memory: 1,507,972 kb
page file space: 1,278,484

Hopefully this info is relevant! :lol:

--Keith

speed

heck wrote: TC...

Ok, I'm in the administrative tools, computer management, and in the system summary section it lists the processor as a "x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 4 AuthenticAMD ~1400 mhz"

More info:

total physical memory: 523,744 kb
sweet box! 1400Mhz, 512+Mb RAM, you're in good shape. i was running the above s/w on an AMD 900Mhz with same RAM on Win2K and it all ran sweet.

so....question is, have you done your homework? do you know what s/w you want? are you clear about what you want to do? some video editing, some stereo audio mixing, etc., or are you looking for multi-track audio editing? or just some great loop-making tools? you can see my short list above. we need to get chainy and maha in here but i'm sure between all of us we can hook you up.

don't know why people are ignoring my invitations! :ay:

Yeeah! :mrgreen:

So Sound Forge would be beautiful, since I already know how to use it.

And as far as the video, here's what I'm planning to do: I have a bunch of ideas for shorts. I'd need to do 'rendering' (I remember that term from when my friend helped me with a music video), and sound mixing. I'd need to be able to get video sources from outside the computer (I have firewire ports), and also grab stock footage from the web (which I'm not sure exists but there's a good chance, huh?). On top of all that, I'll want to be able to mix sound. I never used Vegas before but from what I know about the program it's pretty close to exactly what I'm looking for. Chain mentioned an Adobe program for video...I dunno! I'm sure whatever is available will be a good start for me...