last.fm

boy have they totally screwed the pooch in the last year or so. anyway, if you haven't been paying attention, they shuttered the server(s) that was generating the "now listening" signature images and will not be standing it back up. you can remove those non-loading images from your sigs here, they won't be back. it's all over, johnny.

Re: last.fm

Maybe I want the non-loading pic as my sig. Are you trying to stifle free speech?! Damn the man, save the Empire!

On a serious note, I think it'd been years since I actually used their listened to app anyway. Plus I have to listen to too much shit for work and I don't need to broadcast to the world that I'm listen to that Whip Nae Nae song for hours several days in a row.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Did anyone ever use their actual app? These days I have an un-official app for last.fm that scans my phone for whatever I've listened to. Works great and for some weird reason, I've been kind of obsessed with knowing what I've been listening to since I registered for last.fm. Back then it was called Audioscrobbler and it was nothing more than black text on white background. Good times. Better times.

Also - what's up with the music kids are listening to these days?

yes, i was a paid sub for their streaming. there was a station that would play your library as well as other things suggested by what you listened to already. that was the sole purpose of scrobbling, other than "hey everyone, here's what i'm listening to". now, they have a huge database of years of my scrobbles (my phone does the same thing), but i have no idea what the purpose of it is anymore. just seems like superfluous data gathering for no reason. really still pissed they bailed rather than offer their service for an increased fee to see if they could get subs to pay the licensing.