Quoting a message

Hey TC,

How do I make it quote the original message when I reply to it. I tried clicking the quote button but nothing happens. It'd be nice to be able to reply to specific parts of a message. I'm sure there's something I'm missing to be able to do this.

Re: Quoting a message

darkness wrote:Hey TC,

How do I make it quote the original message when I reply to it. I tried clicking the quote button but nothing happens. It'd be nice to be able to reply to specific parts of a message. I'm sure there's something I'm missing to be able to do this.
hm...weird. i just hit the "quote" button and your post appeared ^^^...

oh, i think i know what you're talking about - the "QUOTE" button that's in the "post a reply" box that i'm typing in now will surround any highlighted text with the "quote" tags. BUT, to quote a post you want to reply to, you have to hit the "QUOTE" button that's in the post you want to quote....

does that help?

TC wrote:
hm...weird. i just hit the "quote" button and your post appeared ^^^...

oh, i think i know what you're talking about - the "QUOTE" button that's in the "post a reply" box that i'm typing in now will surround any highlighted text with the "quote" tags. BUT, to quote a post you want to reply to, you have to hit the "QUOTE" button that's in the post you want to quote....

does that help?
Ah, there we go. That's a stupid way of doing it, but people rarely seem to use common sense when designing software these days. :)

darkness wrote: Ah, there we go. That's a stupid way of doing it, but people rarely seem to use common sense when designing software these days. :)
i know it seems kind of weird on a slow board, but it actually makes alot of sense.

suppose you went away for a few days and in the meantime a topic got posted that you were interested in discussing. well, since you were gone, there are 38 responses. if you just hit 'Reply' then on the reply page hit 'Quote', which post would it pull text from? how would it know which post you wanted to quote and reply to?

anyway, when you hit 'Quote' it pulls the text from the database and displays it all nice & pretty in your reply box. probably the easiest way of doing it.

glad to have heped out!!! :mrgreen: