2002 US Championship. Larry Christiansen is 2002 US Champion

from kasparovchess.com:

Larry Christiansen has won the 2002 US Championship and the $15,000 first prize! Christiansen, a California native who lives in Massachusetts, won the title in 1980 and 1983. For years he lived in Germany, where he was a star in the German pro league (nicknamed "Killer"). He took a short draw in the final round against Benjamin and so had plenty of time to rest up for the blitz playoff. The playoff score was tied 2-2 and then Christiansen beat de Firmian with white in a final game in which black would win the title with a draw.

Christiansen was one of the youngsters when he won his earlier titles. In Seattle the 45-year-old veteran had to survive a blitz playoff for the title against Nick de Firmian, another Californian who appeared on the chess scene at the same time. de Firmian made it to the playoff when Yermolinsky walked into mate in an endgame after missing several drawing chances that would have put him into the playoff with Christiansen.

Wonder if Todd Macfarlane will make an action figure for him! :wink:

Yes, I'm shamelessly using your post to make mention of the fact that one of my bad-ass friends got me a Macfarlane PATRICK ROY figure! Bad to da bone, man, bad to da bone.

Say, I just had an idea--if you're truly a chess player, that is. Wanna get an online game going? I looked around for some services and haven't found a perfect one yet, but I'll keep checking...let me know if you're interested. Heh, haven't played in years.

I play on pogo.com when i feel like playing. We'll have to set something up sometime....

Shockwave.com has a decent one to play. Only had the chance to play against the computer,(doesn't mind getting forgotten when my boss stops by for a chat!) so not sure how the head to head will be. Only draw back is the angle you view from sometimes makes it tough to move the right piece.

Hmm, I'd be willing to give it a shot. I'll have to see if I can remember the 'Blitzkrieg' strategy, whereby you destroy your opponent in 6 moves or less.

Anyone that plays the game with strategies that have actual names is over my head! :fall:

But we should play sometime so at least I can still respect myself and talk shit about the Blues!