Keane traded to the Avs

tsn.ca wrote: Keane headed back to Colorado
(Feb 11) (tsn.ca) - TSN has learned the St. Louis Blues have traded veteran winger Mike Keane to the Colorado Avalanche. Keane waived his no trade clause to allow the trade to go through.

There is no word on what the Blues have received in compensation in the deal.

In 56 games this season with the Blues the 14-year veteran has scored four goals and added six assists.

This will mark Keane’s second tour of duty with the Avalanche. Keane, along with Patrick Roy was traded to Colorado from Montreal for Andrei Kovalenko, Martin Rucinsky and Jocelyn Thibault midway through the 1995-96 season.

Colorado went on to win the Stanley Cup that spring, Keane’s second of three Stanley Cup titles (Montreal in 1993, Dallas in 1999).

The native of Winnipeg, Manitoba was played with five teams in his NHL career.

Keane signed with the Blues July 5th as an unrestricted free agent.

Stay tuned to tsn.ca for more details.
KFNS just reported that the compensation is Eric Messier and Sjon Podein.

hm....well Alexhead?

ok, so it's Podein:
stlouisblues.com wrote: Blues Acquire Left Wing Shjon Podein From Colorado In Exchange For Forward Mike Keane

St. Louis, February 11, 2002 - St. Louis Blues senior vice president and general manager Larry Pleau announced today that the team has acquired left wing Shjon Podein from the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for forward Mike Keane.

Podein, 33, has collected 12 points (six goals, six assists), along with 39 penalty minutes in 41 contests with the Colorado this season. The Rochester, Minnesota native equaled his career-high in points (32) and goals (15) last season, while notching 17 assists. Podein has spent the last two and a half seasons as a member of the Avalanche, after being traded by Philadelphia on November 12, 1998.

The 6-2, 200-pound, left wing captured the Stanley Cup last season as a member of the Avalanche, recording five points (two goals, three assists) in 23 playoff contests. Podein was the NHL's 2001 recipient of the King Clancy Memorial Trophy, awarded to the player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in his community.

Podein established the Shjon Podein Children's Foundation and works with various inner-city youth hockey programs in Denver and Minnesota, including Dinomites, a youth hockey program for underprivileged kids in Minneapolis.

The 10-year NHL veteran has amassed 190 career points (94 goals, 96 assists) in 608 career NHL matches. He has spent parts of his 10 NHL season's with Edmonton, Philadelphia and Colorado. Podein was originally Edmonton's ninth choice, 166th overall, in the 1988 Entry Draft.

# # #
i like Keaner, but i'm actually happy about this. better for Keane, and i've always liked Shjon and think he'll be a good fit here...

guess we'll see how it goes Wednesday when we play against Keane for the first time this year...

i think that's very true for the "casual" fan, but for true hockey fans that know the intangibles a guy like Keane can bring to a room, this is a head scratcher. unless part of the problem was that there were just too many leaders and someone had to go.

i guess i just didn't see this coming at all. not that i don't like it, it is just a surprise.

i hope it goes as well as our last February trade - Mellanby! :mrgreen:

You are right about what a guy can bring. I don't think he was happy that Colorado didn't make the call in the first place. So he settled for the Blues. I think that there is plenty of leadership and if Keane was bringing the team down for any reason...well we'll never know. I didn't see it coming either. I wish him luck but not against the Blues.

We'll miss Shjon, but maybe he'll find someone in St. Louis who knows how to spell his name like normal people do :) He is a real stand-up guy, won whatever the NHL's public service award is last year, so your community is getting a good 'un as well as a surprise playmaker every now and then. He hasn't been having much of a year though; I recall he was in Hartley's doghouse early on for not hustling (not that any of the Avs were hustling much early on). As far as Keane goes, they're bringing him back 'cause Roy is a big fan of his locker room fire and overall style of play, and Roy is one of the few Lacroix listens to. They need someone to start raising their voice a bit. Last year they had 'win one for Ray,' 'Mission 16W,' 'pull one out for Peter's spleen,' etc. This year they've got the Cup hangover and need a kick in the pants. Hope Mike provides some of that.

Now, on to the important stuff...any predictions on tomorrow night's game? I'm still trying to get my hands on some tickets so I can see the shootout in person :draw:

Oh yeah, now that I go back and read the article you posted, he won the "King Clancy" trophy. Heh! Clancy. I wonder if he used to do Lady Byng :mrgreen: Gotta love hockey!

Alexhead wrote: Now, on to the important stuff...any predictions on tomorrow night's game? I'm still trying to get my hands on some tickets so I can see the shootout in person :draw:
well, Keane and Podein are both supposedly playing - against their former teams for the first time - tomorrow. i'll step up and say that this is the Blues' year at The Can - Blues 3-2, Johnson stellar. Keane and Podein are non-factors.

now to my next question - keep your eye out for a Podein jersey (Avs, obviously) for me - the 3rd jersey style, with the diagonal lettering. that would look nice with my other two Avs jerseys... :)

let me know!

I was thinking more along the lines of a DeVries jersey, just so's you could remember that empty netter for a while...nice assist from the non-factor too, eh?

Guess we know what happens when the Blues roll into the can...:chainsaw:

All that talk about Keane and Podein being non factors then he breaks our backs and Podein doesn't even suit up! Oh well it was won once again by the glove of Roy- he's playing as good as he ever has.

My only question is who we have to bribe to get the Av's scouting report. Year after year! Where do they get these kids! :?

Yeah, Roy carried us while we were sucking early in the year, and he'll carry us as far as he can in the playoffs...I like his backup, but it will be a sad day indeed for this franchise when he retires. Simply put, he's the best.

We still seem to be reaping the benefits of the big Lindros trade way back when; they've used a lot of the draft picks and such to get guys like Drury and Hejduk, but I think they also do an excellent job of developing guys in their farm system. Always seems to be a new one every year. This year was supposed to be Nederost, but now it looks like Vrbata is the up-and-comer.

Latest trade rumors (always a good idea to watch those here in Colorado) have us trading Drury to Boston for Guerin, FYI.

Waaaaaaaah may be great, but he is a complete ass. Just look:
Roy: Ha ha, got yer puck, sissy-man!

total jerkoff.
Alexhead wrote: Latest trade rumors (always a good idea to watch those here in Colorado) have us trading Drury to Boston for Guerin, FYI.
yeah, he's also supposedly going to Detroit too. i'd be much more concerned if he went to Detroit. then again, we could always use him... 8)

and how about Melrose practically sucking Keane off the whole night, never mentioning Podein. Melrose's choice quote:

Melrose: I never would have picked the Blues to win the Cup if i'd have known they were going to get rid of Keane.

yeah, keane's a regular Lemieux. :roll:

jakerupe wrote: My only question is who we have to bribe to get the Av's scouting report. Year after year! Where do they get these kids! :?
NO SHIT!!! the Avs grow star forwards on trees while the Sharks grow star goalies on trees. i think they are manufactured in labs....

>Waaaaaaaah may be great, but he is a complete ass. Just look:

Hey kiddo, it's hockey. Sounds like somebody wishes they had their own 4-Cup winning goalie in net :speed: At least he's a goaltender who's willing to throw down a little bit. I'll take him over Mr. Frowny Face that you guys traded, or the wannabe Roy punk you guys have in net, or just about anyone else in the league.

And for fuck's sake, don't pay any mind to Barry freakin' Melrose; he's an idiot (I believe he chose the Avs to lose every single one of their playoff series last year. Still bitter than Lacroix wouldn't make him coach after he let Crawford go).