Avs purge continues

The Avalanche fired coach Tony Granato this morning along with the rest of his coaching staff and longtime front-office executive Michel Goulet.

Greg Sherman will be the new Avalanche general manager, with Craig Billington as the assistant GM. Sherman, 39, has spent the past seven years as the team's assistant GM, and has been associated with the franchise for the past 13 years.

"I was preparing all summer, trying to get ready to do the things we needed to do for next season," Granato said this morning. "You never want to get a call like you got today, but you also understand it's the nature of the business"

It's not clear how long it will be before the Avs name a new head coach. They offered the job to former goalie Patrick

Post Poll - Housecleaning

With all the recent changes, including the firing of the coach, do you think the Avalanche are heading in the right direction? (Read related story)

Yes
Not sure
No

Roy last month, but he turned them down.
Assistant coaches Jacques Cloutier, Dave Barr, Jeff Hackett and P.J. DeLuca also have been dismissed. Goulet, with the team since it moved to Denver in 1995 and a Hockey Hall of Famer, has also been released from his duties.

Granato said he harbored no ill will toward the Avalanche, even during the time when it became publicly known the team was pursuing Roy to be his replacement.

"You take that as part of things that happen in our game. You try to let it affect you as least as possible, and prepare the same way as if it didn't happen," Granato said.

"I enjoyed my seven years in the organization, very thankful for the opportunity (team president) Pierre Lacroix gave me. Obviously, I'm disappointed it didn't go better in the last year."

Brad Smith, director of player personnel, will play a more active role in personnel decisions. Eric Lacroix will become the director of hockey operations. Rick Pracey will remain the team's head scout. David Oliver will be named director of player development.

"Greg Sherman deserves the opportunity to prove he can be an effective general manager in our business," Pierre Lacroix said in a team statement. "He has shown that he possesses

Greg Sherman of the Colorado Avalanche poses for his 2007 NHL headshot. (Getty Images North America | Getty Images)the necessary qualities required to be successful with this new challenge in front of him.
"Surrounded by a strong hockey staff and under my supervision, he will have all the necessary support to lead the Avalanche in this new direction."

In his previous role, Sherman worked on contract negotiations, arbitration cases, salary cap management and matters. Sherman also served as a liaison between the Avalanche and its American Hockey League affiliate, the Lake Erie Monsters.

Born in Scranton, Pa., Sherman was raised in Denver and has spent most of his life in Colorado.

"I look forward to the challenge," Sherman said in a team statement. "We all know the task ahead and we need to get to work. There are a lot of things to be done here. I am surrounded by a group that has great knowledge of the business and we are looking towards the future with a lot of optimism.

"Our fans can rest assured that every effort will be taken to bring an exciting brand of hockey back to Pepsi Center."

It remains unclear who will become the Avalanche's next head coach. The team said it may be a few days before one is announced, and that Sherman and Billington will address the media only when the new coaching staff is secured.

Joe Sacco, the head coach of the Avs' American Hockey League affiliate, the Lake Erie Monsters, figures to receive consideration. Even though the Monsters missed the playoffs this season, Sacco received lots of praise for the job he did, in light of how

Tony Granato (Denver Post file photo)many Monster players were called up to the Avs in the season.
Former Avalanche coach Marc Crawford told The Denver Post today he would be interested in the job if asked. Crawford led the Avs to the Stanley Cup in 1996, but left the team in 1998 for other opportunities. Crawford coached the Los Angeles Kings last season before being dismissed.

Other names that could receive consideration are veteran former coaches such as Craig MacTavish and Guy Carbonneau.

Adrian Dater: 303-954-1360 or adater@denverpost.com
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."