Re: Avery suspended indefinitely

"sloppy seconds". this story is fucking BULLSHIT. the most bullshit suspension in the history of sports. it has absolutely NOTHING to do with hockey. i was going to watch the game tonight to see dion & him throw down, but now will be NOT watching the game.

say what you will about avery, but this is complete bullshit.

elisha, otoh.... seconds, fourths, six thousandths..... no problem.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=258182& ... pStory_nhl

Eklund wrote:"Had the league not have suspended him, the Dallas Stars would have," Hicks stated. "This organization will not tolerate such behaviour, especially from a member of our hockey team. We hold our team to a higher standard and will continue to do so." - Stars' owner Tom Hicks

Wow.

Ok. to all who are making this a "Freedom of Speech" issue. THIS MAN WAS AT WORK. When you are at work you can't expect to keep your job if you say such things. It is that simple. Freedom of Speech means that he can't be imprisoned. Not that he can't be fired for saying something lewd or that humiliates the company.
he has a point.

TC wrote:he has a point.
He does have a point, true. Though in a game where people watch hoping to see players get into bloody fights, it seems hardly likely that bitching about relationships of former girlfriends is going to tarnish the sport somehow.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

ESPN wrote:Sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday that, a month ago, when the Stars were involved in an ugly loss in Boston, Avery was involved in an ugly incident with a Bruins fan. According to the source, Avery was being heckled by the fan, and as he exited the ice, he stopped and yelled up a string of obscenities at the fan, including comments directed at the fan's female companion. The profane exchange was heard by many in attendance, including a police officer, and prompted complaints to the league. A report was filed to the NHL, but Avery avoided suspension.
you know, the more i hear about this guy, the happier i am he's out for a bit, fantasy team be damned. he's reminding me way too much of theo fleury, the ultimate crash & burn.

HB wrote:When the NHL decided to suspend Sean Avery for meaningless comments he made in an interview, a big opportunity was lost to actually generate some interest and buzz about a game. The very second Sean Avery was moved from the line up for last night's game against Dion Phanenuf and the Calgary Flames all national interest in said game was gone. The casual American public needs story lines and drama to be interested. Now I wish I could sit here and state that the public should watch for the beauty of the game, and gosh darn it they should, but this is reality.

You need to know your buyers when you try to sell something. Gary Bettman and the rest of the NHL brass seem to have no idea to what the typical American audience is actually genuinely looking for. Sometimes you need to have that Reggie Dunlop ideology and make the people crazy and clamor for something.

If the league really feels the need to punish Sean Avery for those oh-so not nice, hurtful, callous comments, then slap him with a huge fine and go after his Gucci wallet, but let the conflict resolve where it needs to, right on the ice in the game of the week. Instead, Gary Bettman wants to coddle the public and keep them safe, to me it's like he's saying, "What would the public think with such crass comments coming from a hockey player!" Well, Gary I got news for you, right now Joe Public isn't thinking much of anything concerning hockey.
at least somebody gets it.

TC wrote:
ESPN wrote:Sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday that, a month ago, when the Stars were involved in an ugly loss in Boston, Avery was involved in an ugly incident with a Bruins fan. According to the source, Avery was being heckled by the fan, and as he exited the ice, he stopped and yelled up a string of obscenities at the fan, including comments directed at the fan's female companion. The profane exchange was heard by many in attendance, including a police officer, and prompted complaints to the league. A report was filed to the NHL, but Avery avoided suspension.
you know, the more i hear about this guy, the happier i am he's out for a bit, fantasy team be damned. he's reminding me way too much of theo fleury, the ultimate crash & burn.
Apparently he was yelling at a fan at a Blues game too. An LGB poster posted this back in October:
Not sure if anyone else saw this, but during the pregame warm up avery and a fan were going at it pretty good.......or at least avery was giving it to her pretty good. She was a larger girl standing there with her boyfriend and he kept going up to the glass were she was and asking her "if she needed another hotdog" or "how far along are you" then he looked at her boyfriend and asked him why he was with that fat slob. I thought the girl was going to start crying. At least the blues kicked their ass. Karma.
What a douche. I agree with the hockeybuzz writer though - give him a big fine and let him play so Dion can kick his ass. Much better than a suspension.

CSN Philly wrote:Panaccio: Should Avery Have Been Suspended?

While Sean Avery may be an embarrassment to the NHL and its players, there are questions over whether his suspension was warranted by the league or whether it should have come from the Dallas Stars themselves.

That was among the opinions Wednesday from Flyer players, who reacted to Avery’s comments in Calgary on Tuesday about Dion Phaneuf’s girlfriend, Elisha Cuthbert, who once dated Avery.

“I am really happy to be back in Calgary, I love Canada,” Avery said, asking the cameras to record him. “I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about. Enjoy the game tonight.”

Flyers’ tough guy Riley Cote said, “I wouldn’t expect anything less of him,” adding, that Avery crossed a line and deserved the indefinite suspension the NHL handed down Tuesday afternoon.

“With him, nothing is surprising,” Cote said. “That’s what he does – stir the pot. Something like that is crossing the line. The NHL did the right thing. He deserves to be stopped. If he had said that about [my wife], I’d take it personally, and I’m sure Phaneuf did, too.”

Scott Hartnell, who has one of the more bizarre sense of humor on the Flyers, admitted Avery’s comments weren’t funny and far exceeded other things he’s said in the past to irk players.

“Some things are fair game and others aren’t and it was a little over the edge,” Hartnell said. “I love the comments of Dallas owner [Tom Hicks] saying if it wasn’t for the league suspending him, it would have been him. [Avery] has to be held accountable for his actions.

“Every couple months, he comes out of the woodwork and does something off the wall. He hasn’t been reprimanded for it. Maybe it’s time he takes a look in the mirror. He’s not doing the right things. He’s not being a role model for kids. It’s time to wake him up.”

Hartnell said he felt bad for Phaneuf.

“It’s crazy,” he said. “You fall in love with a girl and it doesn’t really matter what she’s done in the past. I don’t know anything about [Cuthbert], but some things like that you stay away from.”

Former NHL Player Representative Derian Hatcher did not like the comments and agreed a suspension was in order. Yet Hatcher said there was talk among the players Wednesday whether such remarks are actually a suspendable offense.

“I don’t agree with what he said, but as far as the suspension, on what grounds are they suspending him?” Hatcher asked. “Can you do that?”

NHL Commissioner said, in announcing the suspension, it was because of conduct “detrimental” to the game.

“I agree with the suspension, but I am kinda curious about the grounds and whether he can come back and sue the league,” Hatcher said. “How does it work? He didn’t mention names. He didn’t use bad language.”

Though he is a friend of Avery, Hatcher said he can’t condone these comments.

“He went out of his way to grab the cameras,” Hatcher said. “ … I don’t know what’s going through his mind, but maybe he just likes the attention.”

Joffrey Lupul called Avery’s remarks, “classless.”

“It was basically mean,” Lupul said. “That’s something that shouldn’t have been said. On the other hand, I don’t know what the suspension was for. If they are saying, ‘sloppy seconds’ is derogatory, that I can understand.

“I don’t know if it’s the league that should be doing this. Maybe it’s his teammates and the team that should do it. And the guys on the other team ... I don’t know if this is suspension-worthy when there are other things going on, on the ice.”

Lupul said Avery’s remarks were “derogatory” against women, in general, and that the punishment might have been better handled by the Calgary players had Bettman not suspended Avery and allowed him to play Tuesday night.

Mike Knuble, one of the thoughtful quotes on the Flyers, admitted he was stunned.

“You can tell by watching it was pretty calculated what he was saying,” Knuble said. “It was obviously something prepared. It’s hard to say what his intentions were. Was he trying to get under someone’s … skin? Or help his team?”

Knuble said the NHL did the right thing by suspending Avery, if for no other reason than protecting him had he played against the Flames later on Tuesday.

“It squashed something really ugly from happening that night,” Knuble said. “For the owner, he stood up immediately … I’m sure the owner is a little bit embarrassed. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.”

"I would like to sincerely apologize for my off-color remarks to the press yesterday from Calgary," Avery said. "I should not have made those comments and I recognize that they were inappropriate.

"It was a bad attempt to build excitement for the game, but I am now acutely aware of how hurtful my actions were. I caused unnecessary embarrassment to my peers as well as people I have been close with in the past.

"I apologize for offending the great fans of the NHL, the commissioner, my teammates, my coaching staff and the Dallas Stars management and ownership. As many of you know, I like to mix it up on and off the ice from time to time, but understand that this time I took it too far."
i just watched an interview with tippet who said he doesn't see how he can build the best team possible (his job) with avery in the mix. today should be interesting....

I heard his teammates basically said he can fuck off too. Dallas should just send him to the minors for the rest of the year, then cut him. Sounds like he's been total locker room cancer anyway.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Well it looks like Avery is heading back to my beloved Rangers... Had we not let ten pucks in the net against Dallas I would have said I don't wan't him near the Garden... But now...

Btw, you have no idea how much fun it is watching swedish media try to translate the phrase "my sloppy seconds" into understandable swedish :D

_Marcus_ wrote:Well it looks like Avery is heading back to my beloved Rangers... Had we not let ten pucks in the net against Dallas I would have said I don't wan't him near the Garden... But now...

Btw, you have no idea how much fun it is watching swedish media try to translate the phrase "my sloppy seconds" into understandable swedish :D
hahaha, really? why is it difficult? the meaning?

I think I've read at least seven or eight different translations by now, each one funnier than the next. They never seem to understand the actual meaning of the phrase. Instead they just do a literal translation, wich more often than not make it sound like Avery is talking about leftover food :)

I guess us swedes need some sort of phrase to describe ex-girlfriends in a very, very condescending way...