All Star follies

Bums me out that the game had to fall on the same weekend as the Superbowl. As if hockey doesn't have enough trouble attracting attention in most cities in the U.S.; now even less will be paying attention since they'll be busy, I dunno, watching hours of ESPN pre-Superbowl crap. In any case, I suspect we'll see another 12-9 final score and lots of backslapping. :?

yeah, no question it will be a huge grab-ass fest. but, the best part of the whole weekend is the skills competition, which is happening tonight and i can't fucking watch it. i hate not having cable/sat this time of year.

this game is a joke. if it went back to the east vs. west format, it would be waaaaaaaaay better. way more marketable.

I didn't end up watching more than a couple of seconds of the game, looked like Roy was being hung out to dry as most All-Star goalies are. The real game is tonight--Red Wings are in town!!! We need to get off our duffs and kick them good, we were losing steam before the break and need to get our heads back into it. Putting some pucks past Hasek should be a good cure for what ails us.

the all star game was actually a pretty damn good game this year. Khabiboulin was amazing.

and yes - please do beat the Wings!!!!!

show 'em what's up!
:draw:

All the game did was remind me how ridicoluos these "all star" gams actually are. It is a showcase for speed/skating and puck handling, which was actually very impressive. What they do is eliminate part of the game, it drove me nuts watching these forwards carry the puck through the neutral zone and across the blue line with the ease of Highschool freshman playing kickball in the schoolyard.

Don't get me wrong they are all impressive, but I'm always getting into arguments with hockey "purest" and the fighting, and their answer is "it's just a part of hockey." Well thats no answer in my book and the same goes to the all star game when you take an aspect out! It's not Hockey! When is poke checking or sweep checking a method to keeping them out of your zone. I'm babbling now but I just think they should either limit it to the competitions or move it to the end of the year with the hopes free agents might try to showcase a little more and play their game be it more physical or not(thats just hopeful thinking).

I suspect they were even lazier than usual because it's an Olympic year as well; most all of those guys will be taking real shots from each other soon enough in Salt Lake with absolutely no bearing on their real teams' standings, so I'm sure they were trying to make the whole experience as restful as possible. Heh, I mean c'mon, they were in L.A., not exactly an original 6 town ;)

Oh, by the way, fuck the Red Wings! :evil: