So how's YOUR team doing in free agency?

We swapped out Andrew Brunette for a cheaper "veteran leader" forward (who hopefully can replace his 30+ goals along with the leadership), swapped out bitchboy Theodore (wouldn't take our over-7 mil 2 year offer, even though he was paid about as much to do absolutely nothing for his first season--thanks Jose!) for a former Calder Trophy winner who's been a washout the last two seasons, and picked up a "feisty" (Denver Post term) Swedish forward who won the championship of his Euro league this past year. Yes, they're so new I don't remember any of their names yet. Fans not so impressed since we had $20 mil to spend and have shelled out about 2 of it for these pickups...And a city waits on Joe Sakic...
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Re: So how's YOUR team doing in free agency?

but really, you didn't need anything. you upgraded in goal, and don't forget you resigned some key guys as well.

we're doing exactly as i hoped we would - nothing. this new ownership continues to do the right thing. very pleased so far. we've got a few years to go in rebuilding mode before we even think about marquee free agents, but we're better this year by subtraction and with the addition of some studly new young guys. will be fun to watch.

tampa and chicago both went insane. chicago has the potential to be really, really good this coming year.

And of course the goddamn Red Wings are in the enviable position we were in a few years back, just stick a "jobs available" sign in the front yard and the top free agents walk right in. I hope Hossa somehow ends up being a locker room cancer or something...grr.

Yeah, I dunno if we upgraded in goal or not. We lost a couple of good defensemen and after the last few years I'm sold on what they mean to your GAA. If Sakic retires we've got a huge hole to fill. Forwards, we've got a million kicking around between Denver and our AHL guys, no idea if any of them are going to step up or if Svatos will actually be healthy for a full season for once (odds not good if history is considered). You keep an eye on your farm system? I assume you must and also like what you see if you're happy with the non moves for your non playoff team. But watching Pittsburgh this year must be encouraging.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Rangers traded away Christian Bäckman and Fedor Tyutin to Columbus, and got Nikolai Zherdev and Dan Fritsche in return. Tyutin I don't have a problem with, but Bäckman? Horribly underrated defenseman in my eyes.

Actually talked to Bäckman a couple of hours ago and it sounded like he really wanted to stay in NYR. Then again, Columbus might actually be the team he needs to collect a big, fat unrestricted-free-agent-contract a year from now.

_Marcus_ wrote:Rangers traded away Christian Bäckman and Fedor Tyutin to Columbus, and got Nikolai Zherdev and Dan Fritsche in return. Tyutin I don't have a problem with, but Bäckman? is a Horrible defenseman.

Actually talked to Bäckman a couple of hours ago and it sounded like he really wanted to stay in NYR. Then again, Columbus might actually be the team he needs to collect a big, fat unrestricted-free-agent-contract a year from now.

fixed

_Marcus_ wrote:Rangers traded away Christian Bäckman and Fedor Tyutin to Columbus, and got Nikolai Zherdev and Dan Fritsche in return. Tyutin I don't have a problem with, but Bäckman? Horribly underrated defenseman in my eyes.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

wow. backman had potential three years ago, maybe two, but man was he just abyssmal for us last year. i mean awful.

neat that you talk to him, so i'm sure you're a bit biased, but dude - watch some games before you award him the norris.

Alexhead wrote:Isn't Jagr a free agent for the Rangers, or is there just a lot of trade talk? I forget.
I think he's "restricted" or something like it. Doesn't matter, I hope he confirms the rumors and moves back to russia.

EDIT: Oh, NYR just aquired Markus Näslund... Wow, thats what we need. Another old-timer with the best years of his career behind him trying to make a buck or two while being shite on the ice.

_Marcus_ wrote:
Alexhead wrote:Isn't Jagr a free agent for the Rangers, or is there just a lot of trade talk? I forget.
I think he's "restricted" or something like it. Doesn't matter, I hope he confirms the rumors and moves back to russia.

EDIT: Oh, NYR just aquired Markus Näslund... Wow, thats what we need. Another old-timer with the best years of his career behind him trying to make a buck or two while being shite on the ice.
Man, Vancouver must have really low-balled him or something, you shouldn't just kick your captain to the curb like that...even when he's more or less done.