Dad must be proud!

Like father, like son...

[video][/video]
Patrick Roy in trouble over son's brawl
By The Denver Post

Article Last Updated: 03/25/2008 06:06:04 PM MDT

Quebec Remparts goalie Jonathan Roy, son of former NHL great Patrick Roy, attends a news conference in Quebec City on Monday. (Canadian Press | Clement Allard)Former Avalanche goaltender Patrick Roy, coach of a Major Junior Hockey League team, was suspended today in the aftermath of a messy rink-wide brawl involving his son during a game Saturday.

Roy, the winningest goalie in NHL history and current owner of the Quebec City Remparts, was suspended five games for allegedly sending his son, Jonathan, also a goalie, to fight the opposing team's goalie.

Jonathan Roy skated the length of the ice and picked a fight with Bobby Nadeau of the Chicoutimi Sagueneens. He pulled off Nadeau's mask and began punching him on the ice. It appeared that Nadeau refused to fight.

Roy skated back down the ice and flipped both middle fingers toward the opposing team's crowd. He then fought another Sagueneens player before he was coralled by referees and taken off the ice.

The elder Roy, who was on the bench, denied playing any role in the melee, although he appeared to urge on his son with a wave before he attacked the rival goaltender.

In a postgame interview, Jonathan Roy said he had "really liked" the fight, TSN reported.

Jonathan Roy was suspended seven games by the QMJHL. Chicoutimi player Sebastien Rioux was suspended six games for leaving the penalty box to fight Roy. Chicoutimi coach Richard Martel received an automatic two-game suspension for his player's conduct.

In total, three Remparts players, four Chicoutimi players and both coaches were suspended.

Patrick Roy, who is the NHL's career leader in victories and a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, apologized on Tuesday to Nadeau and his family as well as to the Remparts organization.

He was also apologetic toward his son.

"I regret not controlling the situation better," Roy said in a brief statement in French in Quebec City. "I saw what Jonathan went through in the last few days and it was painful for him.

"If I had controlled things better, he wouldn't have had to go through that."

The brawl broke out near the end of the second period of Game 2 of their playoff series with the Sagueneens leading 7-1. The younger Roy apologized Monday for making a rude gesture to the crowd but not for hitting Nadeau, who led the QMJHL this season with a 2.63 goals-against average in 46 games.

League commissioner Gilles Courteau called the coaches' suspensions "severe" and warned all teams that further incidents would bring harsh punishment.

He was also assured by both clubs there would be no further controversy in their first-round playoff series, which was tied 1-1 going into Game 3 on Tuesday night in Quebec City.

The 19-year-old Roy was near the bottom of the league's goaltending statistics in the regular season, with a 3-10 record in 22 games and a 3.96 goals-against average.

On Tuesday, Quebec newspapers dedicated up to a dozen pages to the debate over hockey violence.
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_8692826
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Re: Dad must be proud!

as i said at another forum...

that's fucking bullshit. i'm sorry, i love hockey fights, but running 200' at full speed into someone who is just standing there and clearly doesn't want to fight, then proceeding to pummel them while they are turtling on the ground - and they weren't involved in the original play at all - is complete bullshit. massive suspensions, fines, and possible charges should be investigated.