QOTSA (2013)

Nice:
QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE Taps DAVE GROHL For New Album - Nov. 6, 2012
QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE has tapped Dave Grohl (FOO FIGHTERS, NIRVANA, THEM CROOKED VULTURES) to play drums on the band's forthcoming sixth studio album.

Grohl stepped in to lay down the drums tracks on the record, which is expected in early 2013, following the departure of Joey Castillo.

QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE frontman Josh Homme broke the news of Castillo's exit from the band earlier tonight (Tuesday, November 6) during an appearance on Zane Lowe's BBC Radio 1 show.

Grohl previously played drums on QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE's 2002 album "Songs For The Deaf". He also teamed with Homme and LED ZEPPELIN bassist John Paul Jones for the THEM CROOKED VULTURES project.
Hey, we've almost got the Songs For The Deaf lineup back. :woop:
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Re: QOTSA (2013)

TC wrote:what the holy fuck? why would joey leave?
Isn't he busy with Eagles of Death Metal?
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

I am quite pleased. Grohl's main band sucks but he does fine work drumming for others, especially Josh and Co.

Don't think we'll be seeing Oliveri back any time soon though.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Sounds like Reznor will be involved in at least one track too--QOTSA getting their shit together after a couple of meh outings, me likey.

I saw them on Songs for the Deaf and thought Joey (I assume he was touring with them at the time) did an awesome job.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Oliveri back with some vocals!
Queens of the Stone Age continue reshaping their lineup this year in perplexing ways. After the news that drummer Joey Castillo had left the band and that Dave Grohl will contribute to the new album, now ex-Queens of the Stone Age bassist Nick Oliveri-- who's recently been entangled in some very serious legal issues-- is also on board. Stereogum points to a Facebook post from Oliveri's side project Mondo Generator saying that he recently contributed vocals to the upcoming record.

"NEWS: Nick has re-joined Kyuss, and has recently recorded his vocals on a new Queens of the Stone Age song! Stay tuned," the post reads." Oliveri left Kyuss-- the band that predated Queens of the Stone Age and reformed without Josh Homme under the disputed name Kyuss Lives!-- earlier this year.

Oliveri's reunion with Homme is very surprising. He was kicked out of QOTSA in 2004, apparently because Homme discovered that Oliveri had abused his girlfriend. Last year, Oliveri was charged with several felonies after he was involved in a domestic dispute with his girlfriend that resulted in a S.W.A.T. team being called in. He avoided jail time, but was sentenced to 52 weeks of anger management and 200 hours of community service.
http://pitchfork.com/news/48748-former- ... age-again/

I think he and Josh as friends go back to high school if not younger, I'm sure it was a tough thing to boot Oliveri even if dude is a fuckup.

Reuniting with original bassist Nick Oliveri was one of the easiest things about making Queens of the Stone Age's new album, . . . Like Clockwork, leader Josh Homme told MTV.

"Nick and I have been friends since a couple weeks after everything went down," Homme said, referring to the bassist's firing from the band in 2004. "People don't know that, and it would be awkward for me to run around making sure everyone knew it."

Homme continued, "Nick recorded his new record at my studio, and then he was going to drop off some records and he said 'Hey, need anyone to sing backup?' And I was like 'Actually, yeah, come on in.' It's that causal, and that's a nice thing. It was easy. It's nice to know someone since you were a little kid, and still know them."

Working with his childhood friend was one of the smoothest things about the tumultuous process of recording . . . Like Clockwork, the band's first LP in six years, Homme said. "We'd have these great victories and then something would go south for a bit, and we'd go, 'It's like clockwork!' I think a sick sense of humor is what's always been our preservation mechanism, so this time, we're using that sick sense of humor for a title."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z2QAeDlOKs
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20130411