Re: Black Sabbath reunites

TC wrote:the sound of fire at the beginning was cool...
Oh, you kidder. :loony:

Hey, here's the full song:

[youtube][/youtube]

:hmm:

Oh well, I wasn't exactly blown away the first time I heard The Devil You Know, either.

I guess we now know what Falling off the Edge of the World might sound like with Ozz singing.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Another album (plus farewell tour) on the way, says Ozzy:
"The whole SABBATH experience this time around was great," Ozzy tells Metal Hammer magazine. "We all made friends, we didn't fuck around, we all knew that we had a job to do, and we did it. It was a lot of fun. So we're going to do one more album, and a final tour.

"Once the dust settled after the last tour, we started discussing the idea, because we were getting asked about it all the time. I said to [wife/manager] Sharon, 'What's going on? Because if there's no more SABBATH, I want to get on with my own thing again,' and she came back and said, 'Let me look into it.' Three weeks later, I asked her about it again, and she said, 'Oh, I still have to talk to so and so...' and I said 'Sharon, I ain't fucking 21 anymore. If we're going to do it, I want to do it before I'm 70!' Time isn't on our side! So she made the call and came back and said, 'Yeah, the record company wants another album.' I believe [producer] Rick Rubin is going to do it with us again."

No new material has yet been written for what will be SABBATH's fourteenth studio album, but Osbourne says that sessions will begin early next year.

"It'll be sooner rather than later," the singer says. "Obviously a lot of it is coming down to Tony's health, he's obviously got his cancer treatment, but we'll get onto it next year. I don't know if we'll be writing in England or L.A., but I'll fly to the fucking moon for it if I have to!"

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/black- ... mLwEWvp.99
I guess it would've killed Metal Hammer to get someone from the label or band's management to corroborate. Ozzy says all kinds of things regarding the future of Sabbath, most of which never pan out.

For what it's worth, "13" was decent enough, better than anyone might've expected. But it's in the same boat as another Rubin production, Death Magnetic — a nonessential release by aging rock stars doing their damnedest to imitate their glory days. It SOUNDS like vintage Sabbath but FEELS far less relevant than even Never Say Die.

Also, on any new release being Sabbath's "fourteenth studio album": I guess they're only counting the Ozzy and Dio records (including Devil You Know), because they'd actually be up to 21 now.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:Also, on any new release being Sabbath's "fourteenth studio album": I guess they're only counting the Ozzy and Dio records (including Devil You Know), because they'd actually be up to 21 now.
More likely whomever wrote the article just assumed the last album being called 13 meant it was their 13th album instead of the year and therefore the next one would be their 14th. Because I don't see any way you can get to 14 no matter how you count.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Seeing these guys tonight, paid out for good seats as I'm sure it'll be the last time. Saw them with Dio back in the 90s but this will be the first time I've ever seen Ozzy live. Fingers crossed for a bat oral beheading.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

It's been my experience that a Sab show rises or falls on the quality of Ozzy's vocals. He's not going to be pitch perfect in any case, but if he's croaky and hoarse and coughing between verses, get ready to hear complaints about allergies and doctors warning him not to go on.

I think going to see Sabbath now would probably just ruin the memory for me, in the same way that I didn't go see Rush on the last tour because Geddy's voice has been shot to hell since the Time Machine Tour. Better to remember them as they were. I got to see Heaven and Hell a couple of times on their tour and that's good enough for me. Dio was still on despite being in the process of dying. Ozzy seems to have lost his ability to sing sometime in the late '90s.

I've seen Sabbath three times, once with Dio (as Heaven and Hell) and twice with Ozz. In '99, Ozzy creaked and gasped his way through the leadoff song, and you could literally see the collective enthusiasm of a capacity amphitheater audience completely evaporate in mere seconds. I've never been so embarrassed on behalf of a performer.

I saw them again 10 years ago, and he did sound better — although anything would've been an improvement. But they also played a super-short setlist, with Iommi padding things out with wankfest solos — obviously to permit Ozzy time to rest.

wow mike, you really missed out - R40 was probably my favorite time seeing rush live. amazing.

anyway, people seem to not understand - ozzy could never sing once he stopped doing drugs as heavily. the drugs allowed him to push his body beyond where he should have, which made it tolerable then but fucked future him. the two times i saw him in the mid-'80s, he was pretty good (although still reading the lyrics from teleprompters). as soon as '91, he was a wreck vocally. i just assume anyone going now knows this.

TC wrote:wow mike, you really missed out - R40 was probably my favorite time seeing rush live. amazing.
I tried watching the R40 video, but I can't get past Geddy's voice now. I don't know what happened, but it just went to hell about 2010 or so. Considering they didn't play anywhere near here and I'd have to fly somewhere, I decided it's better to remember Rush as they were. Even Neil looks tired and worn out in the video.

I think you're being way too critical of Geddy, cut the man some slack. He's a dude in his 60s who had a ridiculous range as a young man but went and got old, it's not perfect now but he hit the notes pretty damn well all things considered and there's zero dropoff as far as overall musical performance of the band. I saw them twice in the 80s and the R40 show was my favorite by a mile. And Ozzy was in pretty good form on Monday, totally on target with obligatory opener Black Sabbath and there was a four song run of Into The Void, Snowblind, War Pigs and Iron Man that pretty much covered every Sabbath live itch I'll ever have (with Symptom of the Universe and Supernaut I would have shit myself).
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:with Symptom of the Universe and Supernaut I would have shit myself.
Those songs are far out of Ozzy's range now. But sometimes the band just jams on them, minus vocals, as in '05.

Alexhead wrote:I think you're being way too critical of Geddy, cut the man some slack. He's a dude in his 60s who had a ridiculous range as a young man but went and got old
Hey, I'm not dumping on him. And he's been losing his range for years. Hell, even back in the late '80s he was cracking a bit on some of those old tracks. It never really bothered me until about five years ago, on the Time Machine Tour. My ears just can't take his voice now. Personal preference. I've seen Rush 12 times over the years and have a lot of fond memories of them. I want to remember seeing them when I could enjoy the whole thing.

Getting back on topic, glad to hear the Sabbath show was good.