New heavy recommendations

So I've been listening to more of the heavy end of my collection (nothing groundbreaking, just Deftones, Helmet, some Dio-era Sabbath in tribute, etc) and was wondering what y'all like that would sound good to a guy who leans heavier to the alternative side of metal than the hardcore metal side. If that makes any sense.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Re: New heavy recommendations

Not quite sure what alternative side of metal means to you, but here are a couple bad-asses that come to mind;

The Giraffes, Jucifer, Orange 9mm, Cop Shoot Cop...

Are these kind of what you're going for? If so, I could recommend many many many.
“Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink.” - Bukowski

Jucifer's the only one I've heard and I wasn't a huge fan...I have liked some of the Black Elk you recommended last year, though. Tried to find Knut on grooveshark.com and they didn't have any...I dunno, like with a lot of things I can't describe it in detail but I know what I like when I hear it. I was somewhat of a thrash kid in the 80s (Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth), like my classic heavy stuff (Zep, Sabbath), lots of the deeper end of the pool on early 90s stuff (Melvins, Helmet, Jesus Lizard, Rage, early Soundgarden, Sleep, etc), more recently have dug Boris, Deftones, Isis, McClusky, Part Chimp...singers are tough, as sometimes they can ruin the whole thing. I generally can take screamers over cooke monsters.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

You mentioned Sleep - have you checked out High on Fire too I assume?

I'm a big fan of the band in my avatar too of course.

And Speedealer is awesome if you like trash/punk/Texas metal. I posted one or two of their albums a while back in a certain forum. You can find some of their stuff on youtube too, including some live videos.

Thanks y'all--big d, I actually did fire up some Clutch based on your obvious hearty recommendation but I wasn't a fan of the singer, that kind of put an end to it for me unfortunately. I have the High on Fire that Albini produced that came out a few years back, Blessed Black Wings I think? Not bad, but kind of like Mastodon, it doesn't quite do it for me. I'm always reminded of my favorite line in Amadeus that Jeffrey Jones says when he's dismissing Soliary--"too many notes." i.e. a bit too proggy for my taste. I tend to like a good groove/riff or two beaten into the ground for 3-5 minutes. I will check out Speedealer and Kalas. I have liked bits of some of the 2nd generation stoner metal stuff I've heard, Dead Meadow, The Sword, etc (considering Kyuss/Sleep to be first generation, I guess).

If you're looking for some of the best stoner metal out there check out YOB. Want a great groove/riff beaten into a beautiful bloody pulp for ten to twelve minutes, check out our very own Denver based: Kingdom of Magic. Yeah.

totally opposite end of the spectrum, but check out Skindred. don't even know how to really describe them. like a much more metal version of 311 if 311 were from jamaica? good stuff.

second the YOB recommendation.

did you check out knut?

also look for Korog - Mumus.

and of course the last few Voivod albums.

Alexhead wrote:Thanks y'all--big d, I actually did fire up some Clutch based on your obvious hearty recommendation but I wasn't a fan of the singer, that kind of put an end to it for me unfortunately. I have the High on Fire that Albini produced that came out a few years back, Blessed Black Wings I think? Not bad, but kind of like Mastodon, it doesn't quite do it for me. I'm always reminded of my favorite line in Amadeus that Jeffrey Jones says when he's dismissing Soliary--"too many notes." i.e. a bit too proggy for my taste. I tend to like a good groove/riff or two beaten into the ground for 3-5 minutes. I will check out Speedealer and Kalas. I have liked bits of some of the 2nd generation stoner metal stuff I've heard, Dead Meadow, The Sword, etc (considering Kyuss/Sleep to be first generation, I guess).
Based on your "too many notes" comment, you might like the first two albums by High on Fire more. They are much more sludgy and slower. Check out "Baghdad" here. "10,000 Years" is another great song from that album.

[video][/video]

Neil from Clutch definitely has a unique voice, but their whole sound has evolved a lot over the years. Do you remember what you listened to? The Pure Rock Fury and Blast Tyrant albums are a good starting point probably based on your tastes. Their early stuff was more hardcore, which might also appeal. The self-titled album is my overall favorite, but Transnational has some awesome songs too.

[video][/video]

I'll have to check out YOB and Kingdom of Magic.

Blackheart wrote:If you're looking for some of the best stoner metal out there check out YOB. Want a great groove/riff beaten into a beautiful bloody pulp for ten to twelve minutes, check out our very own Denver based: Kingdom of Magic. Yeah.
Wow, both of those were really cool. Wish I could get out to live shows more and check out Kingdom of Magic. Kid #2 is due in less than 2 months though, so that's not happening anytime soon.

big d note wrote:
Blackheart wrote:If you're looking for some of the best stoner metal out there check out YOB. Want a great groove/riff beaten into a beautiful bloody pulp for ten to twelve minutes, check out our very own Denver based: Kingdom of Magic. Yeah.
Wow, both of those were really cool. Wish I could get out to live shows more and check out Kingdom of Magic. Kid #2 is due in less than 2 months though, so that's not happening anytime soon.
Congrats! I had my Kid #2 the night Boris was in town. Luckily i get to see them this month on the sixteenth! I'm very proud of the Denver music scene. Always something great to see from our local fare.

Well I have some birthday amazon.com gift card to burn and am finally getting Black Elk's debut, probably grabbing one of the new Boris albums too. I did listen to a bit of samples of Knut, sorry, not my thing.

Black Elk! good choice.
I woke up to an owl right outside my window today. Waiting for something to happen.
I Just bought the new Mastodon this morning and on first listen; i like. on second listen; i like a lil more. Compared to Crack the Skye, they did real good this time around. The drumming, in particular, is absolutley phenomenal on every track Brann Dailor carries this one for sure.

I know this is the audio section but I just saw 'Drive' over the weekend and loved the hell out of it. Bought the Soundtrack right away. I hardly ever want to see a film twice in the theatres but I just might for this one.

Dude, the Black Elk is solid, thanks for the heads up. I have heard of them nowhere else. Another you would dig is The Men, "Leave Home." Seems to boil down some noisy indie rock shit that we enjoy to its bare essence, good chaos and drives and anger (+ melody) with a lot of the fat cut away. Kind of like Liars without the bullshit, if you know what I mean.

I should mention I also got the new Boris Heavy Rocks but haven't listened to it yet. I would love to see what everyone's favorite Boris album is as a point of reference for future purchases.