582 drummers set record

DailyMail wrote:Now that's a massive hit: 582 drummers play their way to a new world record

They are the hellraisers of the music world.

But the 582 drummers who drummed together yesterday shunned the example of the likes of The Who's Keith Moon and Led Zeppelin's John Bonham to work together in perfect harmony.

They beat out the same rhythm for five minutes to set a new world record.

article-1199480-05B2285B000005DC-849_634x422_popup[1].jpg
The efforts at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham, sanctioned by Guinness World Records, beat the previous record of 533 set by a group of U.S. drummers in 2006.

The record attempt was organised to increase awareness of multiple sclerosis and succeeded in raising £20,000 for charity.

Among the drummers was Don Powell, of 70s glamrockers Slade. He said: 'I was performing in Budapest on Sunday but I just had to get back here for this event, especially in my home town - it's amazing.

'I'm so happy we smashed the record and we've set a very high target for them to beat.

'I find it fantastic that musicians now have a voice and can get involved in something as wonderful as this record.
article-1199480-05B2641E000005DC-153_634x474_popup[1].jpg
'It isn't as difficult getting to everyone playing at the same speed for this as people might think, it's getting them to stop that's the problem.

'This event is very important to me, I'd do anything for such a good cause like this.'

Cold Feet star John Thompson, who hosted the event, also took to the drumstool to play his part in the record attempt.

He said: 'We drummers are a rare bunch, a real sharing people.

'Whenever you speak to another drummer they always try to help you out or teach you something new.

'I think that spirit can be seen at this event, I never thought I would break any sort of world record, but this means so much to me and it's for such a great cause.

'It has been a real logistical nightmare, but we've cracked it.
article-1199480-05B263BD000005DC-890_634x390_popup[1].jpg
'I've played drums for about 27 years and am not too humble to say I'm pretty good now.

'I would love to get back into playing in a band but in my line of work I can be very unreliable.'

The record-breaking feat was dreamt up back in January and hundreds of hours had been spent organising it.

But while Britain currently holds the title, America look sure to try and get it back in November.

Organiser Craig Glover said the fact the record had been wrestled from America made the achievement even more impressive.

But he admitted until the count had been done he had not been sure the record attempt would be broken.

He said: 'When we beat the record I was both relieved and ecstatic.

'It has took so much hard work to get to this point, but this result makes it all worth while.

'The fact that the previous record was set in the U.S. makes beating it so much sweeter.'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.