Spinal Tap - Back From The Dead

MacWorld wrote:Spinal Tap makes new album with Logic

"Why don't you just make ten louder, and make ten be the top number, and make that a little louder?"

Pause.

"These go to eleven."

If you recognize this famous and funny scene from the 1984 movie This Is Spinal Tap, you'll be glad to hear that Spinal Tap is releasing a new album called "Back From the Dead" in June—created with the help of Apple's Logic Studio () digital audio workstation software.

The original band members, Michael McKean (David St. Hubbins), Christopher Guest (Nigel Tufnel) and Harry Shearer (Derek Smalls), have just finished recording what will be a double album in The Treehouse, a studio in Hollywood, Calif.

If you liked the tongue-and-cheek nature of the songs on the first album, you'll love what they've done with the new material. For example, the song "Short and Sweet" is about Nigel's four-foot-nine-inch girlfriend (and clocks in at longer than seven minutes).

The material on the double album consists of a reworked version of Spinal Tap's first album, plus new material.

The Treehouse is owned by CJ Vanston, who, in addition to being a producer and recording engineer, has also played keyboards for Spinal Tap for the last 17 years. Vanston said that every piece of the album was made using Macs running Apple's Logic.

"PCs aren't allowed within 20 feet of me," Vanston told Macworld. "There's always a problem with them, whether its a virus, defragging the drive, or something. They just slow you down."

Apple's control over the hardware and software components is one of the things that Vanston likes the most about using Macs—it lets Apple ensure compatibility with the latest hardware.

A Mac user since 1984, Vanston refers to Logic as "his second engineer" when he's in the studio.

"The workflow in Logic is so fast, its just unbelievable," said Vanston, who learned from producers such as Ed Cherney and Phil Ramone. "I look at my screen everyday and I'm so happy."

Vanston has also used Logic in other ways. While on the road with Joe Cocker in 2005, Vanston needed a Hammond B3 Organ for the tour, but it wasn't practical to drag one around with him everywhere. That's where Logic came in—he used the application to model the organ live on stage and nobody was the wiser. (Logic Studio now includes MainStage, an application designed performing live using virtual instruments)

"It was just wonderful," said Vanston. "We did over 300 shows in 29 countries in 2005, and I did not have a single crash."
given all the various comebacks in the last few years, this was obvious. still, don't really like this idea. afterall, the short demo w/xmas song they did after their second album was terrible and (thankfully) mostly forgotten. the film is still epic - please don't do anything to tarnish it. guess we'll see...

and, i'm sorry, did i read it correctly that they are including "reworked" versions of old songs from the first album?? this is such a terrible idea. many bands have done that lately (twisted sister and destruction come to mind), and have failed miserably. can't think of any time when this succeeded. ugh.

Re: Spinal Tap - Back From The Dead

darkness wrote:They're actually on tour now doing an acoustic version of Spinal Tap and Folksmen (from A Mighty Wind) songs. They're here in Dallas next month, but I'll be out of the country. Acoustic Spinal Tap sounds so wrong though.
hm. i guess they could do stuff from The New Originals/The Themesmen eras...

i saw them on tour in the early '90's in orlando. it was epic.

CNN wrote:Spinal Tap takes off the wigs

Twenty-five years ago, America discovered "one of England's loudest bands," courtesy of documentarian Marty DiBergi and his film, "This Is Spinal Tap."

It was all parody -- DiBergi was director Rob Reiner, and cohorts Christopher Guest, Michael McKean and Harry Shearer played the heavy-metal musicians in Spinal Tap -- but for a fictional band, Spinal Tap has had a long afterlife.

The film gave birth to several catchphrases, including one -- "up to 11" -- that's made it into the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary.

There are Web sites devoted to the Tap, including at least one, http://tap-albums.s5.com/, that offers a complete discography of the fictional band's nonexistent albums.

And Guest, McKean and Shearer have never left their spandexed alter egos behind. The band reunited for a 1992 album, "Break Like the Wind," and again for a 2001 tour. For the latter, the opening act was another Guest-McKean-Shearer collaboration, the Folksmen from Guest's film "A Mighty Wind."

Now Shearer, McKean and Guest are hitting the road again, but not as Spinal Tap or the Folksmen. They're playing ... themselves.

"We're trying very hard to get across the idea that this is us, and only us," says Shearer in a phone interview discussing the trio's "Unwigged & Unplugged" 30-date acoustic tour, which kicks off Friday in Vancouver, British Columbia. "And because we don't often appear as ourselves -- because we most often appear as characters -- we're trying to dress it up as a treat, a rare treat, to see us as ourselves."

The group will be performing both Spinal Tap and Folksmen songs, though, Shearer adds, "[we'll be] doing these songs kind of in a different way because we're approaching them as ourselves and not as these characters."

Have no fear, however, Tap fans: A new album, "Back from the Dead," is due out in June.

Shearer took some time out from tour preparations to talk about Spinal Tap's origins, the similarities between Tap and Metallica, and how "Start Me Up" became more closely identified with the Folksmen than the Rolling Stones. The following is an edited version of that interview.

CNN: It's been 25 years since "This Is Spinal Tap," but it's been much longer since Spinal Tap came together. Do you remember what brought it about -- and who it's based on?

Shearer: You know, I would like to make a little book composed of all the bands that people have guessed Spinal Tap actually is -- there would be a lot of bands in there. And in fact it is about a lot of bands -- it's never been about one band.

When we did this, the Pythons had already done [the Beatles parody] the Rutles, so there had been a piece that ... was a really specific spoof of a really specific band. That was something we didn't want to do -- that had been done. Our notion was to ... sort of encapsulate everything we know about rock 'n' roll -- and everything we found funny or amusing about bands -- into one band. So it was a process of smooshing all that stuff into this fictional band.

CNN: Are you familiar about this new movie called "Anvil"? [The documentary, about a real heavy-metal band, has been compared to "This Is Spinal Tap."]

Shearer: I've been reading about it and hearing about it a lot, but I haven't seen it. ... It sounds interesting. The last thing I've seen along that line was "Some Kind of Monster." ... Was that amazing. That was stupefying. ...

I heard they had a therapist. But it wasn't really a therapist -- it was a life coach. Which is different -- and worse (laughs). Even more humiliating. It's one thing to have somebody who's a therapist, but ... did you ever see "Starting Over"? The daytime series on NBC?

CNN: No.

Shearer: Oh, four or five women in a house with two life coaches. Oh my God, it was just shocking. Well, "Some Kind of Monster" is in that vein.

CNN: How do you guys go about writing songs? The songs on the first album were wonderful pastiches of various heavy metal-type things. On the second album you had more styles and brought in guest musicians, including [renowned session pianist] Nicky Hopkins for "Rainy Day Sun."

Shearer: My God, yeah. Nicky had actually come in, I think, to audition for the movie but couldn't do the movie or something, but we'd always dreamed to work with Nicky.

How we write the songs -- ... every one is a different experience. In the case of Tap, it's what seems like a funny idea sort of leads to a riff or some lyrics. In the case of the Folksmen, I think there was more -- at least the stuff Michael and I wrote together -- a sense these certain kinds of songs that became clichés in that era of folk music, and we sort of have to touch each of these bases.

CNN: Like "Blood on the Coal," a combination of coal mining and train song.

Shearer: Yeah! We saved you the time. It was a twofer. ... There were a lot of songs in that era that were kind of based loosely or less loosely on the Bible, so we wrote "The Good Book Song," and then of course the great cliché of folk music is the rambler or wandering song, so we wrote "Never Did No Wanderin'," about a guy who just stayed home.

CNN: Since you're going to be performing as you, are you worried that people will show up wondering where the costumes are, or perhaps yell out, "Hey Harry, I want to hear Smithers," or "Hey Chris, do Harlan Pepper"?

Shearer: Each seat will be [affixed] with Taser equipment to discourage that. ...

Hopefully, we'll be so entrancing that they won't be even thinking of talking to us, except if we ask for questions. But as to what people are expecting, we're trying very hard to get across the idea that this is us, and only us, and because we don't often appear as ourselves -- because we most often appear as characters -- we're trying to dress it up as a treat, a rare treat, to see us as ourselves and doing these songs kind of in a different way, because we're approaching them as ourselves and not as these characters.

CNN: Are you planning to do covers on the order of "Start Me Up"? [The Folksmen covered the Rolling Stones song on the "Mighty Wind" soundtrack.]

Shearer: "Start Me Up" is actually the only song that we didn't write that's in the show. I can't resist [it] -- none of us can -- but I have a personal affection for it.

After the Super Bowl a few years ago in Detroit, where the Stones played halftime, a few weeks later I met somebody who said that "the soundtrack record of 'A Mighty Wind' is my 6-year-old son's favorite CD, and at the Super Bowl that day during halftime, I was in the kitchen making lunch for him and his sister, and the 6-year-old ran into the kitchen as excited as I'd ever seen him in his life and said, 'Daddy daddy daddy, they're doing a Folksmen song on the Super Bowl!' "

Blabbermouth wrote:SPINAL TAP Is 'Back From The Dead'

This year marks the 25th anniversary of the cult classic film "This is Spinal Tap", and now England's "loudest heavy metal band," SPINAL TAP, is celebrating with the release of its first new album in almost two decades, "Back From The Dead" (The Label Industry Records/Artist2Market/INgrooves). Due on Tuesday, June 16, 2009, the follow-up to 1992's "Break Like The Wind" sees TAP members David St. Hubbins, Nigel Tufnel and Derek Smalls unearth their long-self-suppressed studio versions of the classic songs from the movie "This is Spinal Tap", as well as six new additional tracks and an exclusive hour-long accompanying DVD featuring a track-by-track video commentary by the band. "Back From The Dead" also features guest appearances by Phil Collen (DEF LEPPARD), Keith Emerson, John Mayer and Steve Vai.

"This album title says it all. We're back from the dead. But we weren't dead. But we definitely are back," proclaimed Hubbins.

"Back From The Dead" is a deluxe CD/DVD package aggressively priced and containing 19 original SPINAL TAP songs, a one-hour DVD and unique pop-up diorama package that unveils three 12-inch action figures (courtesy of Sideshow Collectibles) of the band along with a proportionally sized Stonehenge.

"Back From The Dead" is destined to be a collector's item, especially among collectors. The LP includes the newly interpreted TAP classics "Hell Hole", "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight", "Heavy Duty", "Rock 'n' Roll Creation", "America", "Cups and Cakes", "Big Bottom", "Sex Farm", "Stonehenge", "Gimme Some Money" and "(Listen to the) Flower People".

"While the movie and soundtrack accurately represented our stage sound at the time, the studio versions of these songs on this album represent the cosmic maturation of the material, within a digital context. Also, they're louder," stated Smalls.

The new songs recorded specifically for "Back From The Dead" include "Warmer Than Hell", "Short and Sweet", "Celtic Blues", "Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare", "Back From The Dead" and "the first known studio recording of the soon-to-be-long-forgotten 'Jazz Oddyssey'."

"Back From The Dead" was produced by CJ Vanston, who arranged and played keyboards on the band's "Break Like The Wind" album and was musical director for their 1992, 2000 and 2007 tours. As a film composer, he has produced music for Christopher Guest's movies "Waiting For Guffman", "Best In Show", "A Mighty Wind" and "For Your Consideration".

The "Back From The Dead" deluxe CD/DVD package is being distributed completely outside of the traditional major label infrastructure. Retail distribution and marketing of physical CDs will be handled by Artist2Market (A2M) while digital marketing and distribution will be serviced by INgrooves.

"Back From The Dead" track listing:

01. Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight
02. Back From The Dead
03. (Funky) Sex Farm
04. Rock 'n' Roll Creation
05. Jazz Oddyssey I
06. Gimme Some Money
07. Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare
08. Heavy Duty
09. America
10. Jazz Oddyssey II
11. (Listen to the) Flower People (Reggae Stylee)
12. Hell Hole
13. Big Bottom
14. Celtics Blues
15. Jazz Oddyssey III
16. Warmer Than Hell
17. Stonehenge
18. Short and Sweet
19. Cups and Cakes

In addition to the above 19 songs, fans of SPINAL TAP can find a free download for the previously unreleased "Saucy Jack" from Hubbins' unfinished musical about Jack the Ripper on the band's web site, http://www.spinaltap.com. There are also rumors that there will be exclusive versions of "Sex Farm" and "(Listen to the) Flower People" available on certain digital outlets. And if that is not enough, the band will be releasing a very special 11-inch, limited-edition vinyl version of "Back From The Dead".
SpinalTap_Cover[1].jpg
worldtour[1].jpg
hahahaha, awesome. can't wait.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.