Voivod will be over next year

BWBK wrote:VOIVOD To Enter Studio This Spring To Record "Final" Album

Canada's pioneering metal band VOIVOD will enter the studio this spring to record their final album using songs left behind by founding guitarist Denis 'Piggy' D'Amour who died in August 2005 from colon cancer.

An official band statement reads: "There remain 13 songs that guitarist Denis D'Amour (Piggy) had written with the band before his death, yet to be recorded. Michel Langevin (Away) and Denis Belanger (Snake) will track the last songs this spring bringing all the past and present members together to participate in a homage to the guitar legend of Piggy and the legacy of 25 years of a brotherhood forged by exploring metal, rock and punk ethics with an other worldly premise.

Jean-Yves Theriault (Blacky) and Eric Forrest (E-FORCE) have eagerly agreed to contribute bass tracks along with current bass player Jason Newsted (Jasonic). The End Records and Nuclear Blast Europe will release this final record once completed.

Voivod may play select shows after the release as a thank you to the fans and to bring closure to a great career."
last week i read a statement saying that there were probably 26 more songs, two more albums. now this. i am so sad still for this. one of the great ones taken too soon.

BW&BK wrote:BW&BK Exclusive: Ex-VOIVOD Frontman ERIC FORREST Comments On Performing On "Final" Album

As reported exclusively by BW&BK yesterday, former VOIVOD frontman Eric Forrest (E-FORCE) has been asked to contribute bass tracks to the band's next album alongside Jason Newsted (Jasonic) and ex-Voivod bassist Jean-Yves Theriault (Blacky). BW&BK spoke to Forrest today (February 14th) and he offered the following statement:

"Yes, it's true. In fact, Away (Michel Langevin) sent me a New Year greeting during the first week in January, and he asked me if I would be interested in playing a few bass tracks on the next/last Voivod record along with Blacky and Jasonic. Well, talk about brotherhood! You don't have to be an expert in rocket science to figure out my response. It's an honour and privilege to be apart of the Voivod gang once again! This is an awsome tribute to the man, warrior, riff master, legend Piggy (Denis D'Amour) and the Voivod legacy.

To all the Voivod fans, I re-recorded a track, 'Victory', from the 2001 demo as a tribute to Piggy on the next E-Force record Modified Poison which, ironically, is about universal coalition and unity. Long live Piggy, long live Voivod!"

Eric

At the risk of sounding insensitive, it's been over for 2 1/2 years.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:
At the risk of sounding insensitive, it's been over for 2 1/2 years.
the last album and the next album have been written using piggy's material it is therefor voivod, minus leads.

I stand by my statement...
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:I stand by my statement...
i would rather have these last two albums than have nothing and let all of piggy's material and ideas vanish. it's a fitting tribute, especially having blacky come back for this new one.

of course, i'm completely skewed as a huge fanboy.

Re: Voivod will be over next year

HOLY FUCK this sounds amazing:

[video][/video]
Canada's pioneering metal band VOIVOD made its trimphant return to the stage on Sunday (June 22) in front of 22,500 fans as part of the Heavy MTL festival at Parc Jean-Drapeau in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The group was joined by original bass player Jean-Yves Theriault ("Blacky") for the first time in 17 years. Dan Mongrain from the Quebec band MARTYR, a good friend of the band, played guitar. Songs from the early catalogue were the focus for the Heavy MTL set, including VOIVOD's cover of the PINK FLOYD classic "Astronomy Domine", which closed the show before the band took a bow center stage and shared a group hug.
if they come anywhere within several hundred miles of here, i will be there.

Exclaim.ca wrote:Voivod Talk 'Warriors of Ice,' New Studio Album

Despite all their achievements and career highs, it's interesting to note that Quebec prog metal trailblazers Voivod have never released a live album with their classic lineup. Back in 2000, they released Voivod Lives, a live collection recorded during their trio phase. And while no live full-length with deceased guitarist Denis "Piggy" D'Amour, who played with the band from their beginnings in 1982 until he passed away in 2005, has ever surfaced, Voivod delivered the next best thing with the recently released Warriors of Ice.

The live album captures three-fourths of the band's classic lineup -- drummer Michel "Away" Langevin, bassist Jean-Yves "Blacky" Thériault and vocalist Denis "Snake" Bélanger, along with guitarist Daniel Mongrain, who does as good a job as anyone possibly could filling Piggy's shoes -- at a very triumphant Montreal hometown concert recorded in 2009 by Glen Robinson.

"I feel like it's an achievement because there was a point where we weren't sure if there was going to be a new Voivod album," Langevin tells Exclaim! in a recent interview. "It's not a studio album but still something we're very proud of. It's good vintage Voivod."

Given Voivod's successful return to the live arena as of late after a post-Piggy hiatus, fans have been ravenous for anything from the band -- new material being top of the list, but a live album documenting the band with vocalist Snake has also been something Voivodians have clamoured for. Langevin agrees that a live disc with what is almost the original lineup has been a long time coming.

"Yeah, it's long overdue," he admits. "There was never really a live album with Snake and Blacky since the one before was us as a trio with [ex-bassist/vocalist] Eric Forrest. So, yeah, it's refreshing to have an album with almost the original lineup involved."

While it would be one nice final tip of the hat to Piggy to release an official live album from his time in the band, Langevin says that won't be the case, but he does drop one teaser about some upcoming treats for Voivod followers.

"There are no professional [unreleased] recordings in the vaults [with Piggy]," he says, "but we are re-releasing a few albums in the upcoming months with bonus live material from the '80s."

But it's not all repackaged live versions of classics and re-releases from the Voivod camp right now, as the guys are actually hard at work on a new album, which will be the first album without the contributions of Piggy, really marking a brave and bold step forward for the band, one they are feeling very confident about.

"We have four songs completed and about five other ones in progress and it's more in the progressive metal vein, so it's reminiscent of the Dimension Hatross era," says Langevin. "We hope to record in the fall and have a new album out in the spring of 2012, so before the end of the world."

So while Warriors of Ice marks the end of an era for the band, it also signifies a whole new adventure for the long-running group, even if it is a new adventure that must begin by saying goodbye to Piggy, in the form of this live album, which Langevin says was actually conceived as a way to honour him.

"Of course it's mainly on the road when we play songs that we feel Piggy's presence hovering above us," he says. "The goal of the live album was to pay tribute to him in the first place. He will always be there with us."
"...reminiscent of the DH era..."??? yes please!!!

btw, no "official" live album from the original lineup, but there are tons of boots out there, some of which are available here:
http://www.voivodfan.com/media/index.php

Is it bad I can't seem to get interested in Piggy-less Voivod?

A reissued edition of the 2nd album would be nice. The spiffed-up War and Pain from some years back was much appreciated.

well, from what i've seen of this guy with them, he fits right in. plus, having blacky back is huge. he had a lot to do with their older stuff.

and yeah, they were supposed to do the special treatment for all of the back catalog. hopefully this will actually happen.